Falling in love....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Falling in love....

Post by Synthacon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:44 pm

I have only really loved a couple of synths in all the years I have been using them, it takes something special to really make me smile and think that a synth can be truly an inspiring unit.

These last few days I have not been working so much and have spent a good few hours with my latest synth, a nice matt black Blofeld Keyboard. I really am blown away by the potential it has and all for a great price too. The potential of adding your samples along with the nice subtractive engine and the wavetable stuff is great, plus that SSM filter model is not too bad at all. Yes it glitches, yes it bleeps and farts, but thats what you expect from Waldorf, but underneath is a truly massive synth engine that can sound cold and nasty or warm and full bodied.

Over the years I have had most of the Waldorf gear (Microwave, Microwave XT, Pulse, Micro Q and Q+) and this little keyboard is simply the best thing they have made in my humble opinion.

It really is nice when something really rather wonderful comes along amongst all the dross that it released.

So what have you fallen for recently?
You always want just one more Synth!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Falling in love....

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Synthacon wrote:
So what have you fallen for recently?
Well the Blofeld, for one. Powerful VA, powerful waveform, powerful fx, powerful arpeggiator...Just a lot of complex and wonderful things going on there.

But the most recent one to win me over is the Little Phatty. I thought, "OK, I'll try it out, maybe keep it for when I want that Moog sound..." But I just couldn't stop playing with it, even though the keyboard quality was a bit disappointing. Deep rich tones and more complexity than you'd think and very easy to program!

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:51 am

Same here, a Blofeld. Bought it from a friend of mine. He needed money, and didn't actually realise it's potetial. I read a lot of nice stuff about it, and took the plunge. I soon realised I was in love and that I had bought (hehe) a partner for life. I also got a midi-keyboard, some cables and the SL-license included in the price.

Funny thing: Me and a friend started an act a couple of days after I bought it, me mostly using the Blofeld, him mostly using internal feedback. Last sunday, we had our first gig, planning a 20-30 min set. After the second song, my setup just hanged up, the controller stopped sending, we forgot to hook up a couple of things etc. All in all, most of what could have gone wrong went wrong. My friend continued, made some loops and handed me a microphone. I started singing what I knew from the norwegian nathional anthem, while trying to find the problem, and suddenly, after around ten minutes my setup started working. From there it all went far beyond what we expected, improvisation all over the place for about an hour, and the gig turned out to be stars away from our original set.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:19 am

The only synth that I've owned that comes close to that feeling would the SH-101. It's about the full package, and being just enough of what it needs to be, like a small sports car with a big enough engine for it's size to do fun things with it without going over-board. Since I had a 101 it's the first synth I turn on to pick out a melody or bassline, I use the other synths in a much less emotional/instinctive way. Even the polysix which has those filters.

The overall factor in that is the sound. Some days I'll aproach it and think 'doesn't look so great, maybe I was deluding myself that this plastic slab is 'all that'' then as soon as touch the keys, no matter where I left the sliders the day before it just sounds good! more than just a good/nice sound it kind of connects directly to my brain, the emotional side, which for a dinky little machine made mostly of plastic and originally sold quite cheaply is no mean feat. Perhaps it's the simplicity (but enough complexity thanks to the 3 in one waves on the single VCO) that makes it feel that way, combined with the form factor, combined with the beautiful and organic PWM, and the nice set of controls at hand...

so for me - SH-101 is the closest to 'in love' (important note, I don't make acid, trance, DnB or any of that kind of thing)
Last edited by Pro5 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 am

I've liked almost every synth I've owned, but my PolySix is still my go to-beloved one. It has that sound I was looking for when diving into synths with the authentic early 80's sound. It's raw, unpolished, atmospheric and has stood the test of time. And it does not sound thin.

Then of course, I got the Prophet-5 and understood why it is so famous and celebrated.

I have yet to acquire a Moog though..

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 am

DSI Mopho Keyboard. It's so small and yellow and cute. So many sonic possibilities, once I start on it I can't seem to stop for hours & hours. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys and it's not even a 2 wheel bike.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:35 am

The Roland V-Synth. It's just so straightforward to use, but very powerful. Best user interface ever and one of the few modern synths that is actually unique.

Blofeld eh? Hmmmm.....

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 am

x0xb0x for me, i use it for basslines, melodies, all sorts really. I can just sit and play with it all day long rewriting and refining patterns.

i also loved my mc-202 and sh-101, to me they sounded slightly different and filled different roles. I used the 202 for high arpeggios and squeaks, the 101 filled in on bass duties. so much fun to get everything hooked up and tweak away :D

once i get some money flowing again i'll get another 202 and buy back my 101 from a friend. money is such a pain at the moment :(
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 pm

My new MEK. I havn' t been this excited/blown away by a piece of gear since I got my very first synth in 2007 which was a Lead 2X. Since that novelty wore off, nothing has really forced me to stay up way later than I meant to besides the usual playing guitar, but now the MEK is causing the same behavior. Quickly falling for it.

Wish I had a blofeld!

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Juno 6/60 and Moog LP/Rogue. If I had to sell everything else, those would keep me more or less happy. Drums machines? LinnDrum, TR-606 and DR-55.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Jupiter-8
Juno-60 or Juno-106
TB-303

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:53 pm

The ZV3 Synthesizer!
I bought it on ebay off a guy who had it built for him out of old components. A simple analogue 2 osc but this thing growls like a mythical beast. Such beautiful unstable character and grit.

I now understand the Vintage Analogue arguement alot more now.

asohn
Gear: Moog Voyager, SH-101, Analogue Solutions Vostok, MKS-80, Korg Polysix, Juno 60, Roland JX8P, Moog MG-1, x0xb0x, SCI Sixtrak
Band: All Hazards

Post by asohn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:06 am

For a long time I was only using my Minimoog Voyager. The ability to use MIDI with an amazingly fat sounding synth was unbeatable. And those filters.

Lately though, the SH-101 has been amazing. I got the CV expander for the Voyager and now I can control the SH by MIDI, which allows me to quickly arrange complex sequences, which because I am not a keyboard player was crucial. And programming the sequencer on the SH, although fairly easy, was limiting.

Add to that, I started running it through a MXR M104 distortion pedal which is starting to give me somewhat grungy acid-like basslines.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:41 am

i'm in honeymoon phase, but the Monomachine is just a killer little box...one of the best synths I've bought period...

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:44 am

The what? #-o
zoomtheline wrote:The ZV3 Synthesizer!
I bought it on ebay off a guy who had it built for him out of old components. A simple analogue 2 osc but this thing growls like a mythical beast. Such beautiful unstable character and grit.

I now understand the Vintage Analogue arguement alot more now.