Synth sounds for the Nord Electro 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Brian_Minter

Synth sounds for the Nord Electro 2

Post by Brian_Minter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi all,

My apologies if this is the wrong forum category for this question.

I play keys in a band, and use the Nord Electro 2. I used to own and play a couple of older instruments (a Roland JX-8P, an Alesis and an ARP electronic piano), but I was never really a synth-head (respect is due), and I no longer have the patience or storage space to own multiple keyboards, so the Nord suits me perfectly. Plus the music mostly calls for realistic sounds (Hammond, Rhodes, etc).

That said, I'd love to have a couple analog-synth-style sounds for shows (something scratchy, dirty, bass-y, etc), and I have no love for some of the presets and wouldn't mind replacing a couple. Clavia has free downloads, but only similar sounds (pianos, organs, etc).

Does anyone how how I could get a couple cool synth sounds into my Nord? Free is nice, but I'm willing to pay for something. I'd rather not tote around any outboard gear.

Thanks!

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Re: Synth sounds for the Nord Electro 2

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:22 am

Doesn't that unit allow for creating and storing your own sounds? I'd actually be surprised if it doesn't.
Bassist, synth junkie

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 am

Yes, you can get some decent synth sounds when using the Modulation and Effects sections. Try adding some ring mod to one of the Piano sounds and experiment with flanging or phasing.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

Brian_Minter

Post by Brian_Minter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Yeah, you can tweak the organ sound to get some synth-y tones. I was hoping for some direct downloads, though.

Thanks for the responses!

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:44 am

Brian_Minter wrote:Yeah, you can tweak the organ sound to get some synth-y tones. I was hoping for some direct downloads, though.

Thanks for the responses!
As a Nord Electro2 owner since 2004, I can tell you that although you can download sounds from Clavia's website, those are the only sounds you can load into your NE2. No other sounds have been available, nor will be, since the NE2 is considered a legacy product for them now.

Brian_Minter

Post by Brian_Minter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Given how popular that machine is, I'm surprised that there was never any third-party stuff available.

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

As far as I knew, the electro didn't have a synth section and that was what separated it from the nord stage...
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2: