Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smoothcriminal

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 pm

polardark wrote:If you have a microcontroller (and choose the right one) you could easily hobble on USB or a simple drum machine with samples. Within this context, analogue drums would make little sense.
I agree about a microcontroller, disagree about drum machine samples. I think the only way the drum sound selection visible in the promo image makes sense is if it's a way to fit drum editing controls into a tiny footprint, i.e. if you select a particular drum sound i.e. "High Hat" then all the frontpanel controls are used for editing that particular sound. This drastically reduces the interface complexity VS something like an MFB 522, which has dedicated editing knobs for each sound. Two additional points:
1. if they are targeting analog purists as the "ready to tweak a real analog?" tagline implies, it would seem to weaken the branding to add digital drums.
2. the "-tribe" brand has always been about multiple complimentary products, hence the use of the term "tribe" i.e. a group of related individuals. So adding drums (or, a fully featured monosynth) to the first release would seem to limit their options for the next product.

My question at this point is, would 8 sequencer steps be a dealbreaker? I had to shrink the buttons down to fit 16 steps in my mockup, and I think the 8-step layout almost makes more sense.
polardark wrote:...and i actually like speculating. :)
love it :twisted:

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:26 pm

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Not surprisingly, my speculation was somewhat off the mark! But still close...Monotron XL indeed.

So, no MIDI...no memory... Are the in/sync/out jacks CV? I guess you can wire the in/out to another monotribe or a CV-modded monotron to make the synth part 2-osc? Or use "sync" with another monotribe to use 8 sequencer tracks instead of 4?

Bring on the youtube demos, baby! This thing has potential if its cheap enough (alhough I like my drum machine concept better).
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:05 pm

E X C I T E D !!!!

Provided that box is no more than $250 I think I will have to buy one. The Monotron has surprisingly become an integral tool in my studio. I could see this one doing the same.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:06 pm

would it kill them to put midi on this thing? already not interested.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Em Pe Ge wrote:would it kill them to put midi on this thing? already not interested.
baby steps... :D

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 pm

Very very nice Korg, have to say this will be one I will be checking out :D

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 pm

What did you expect? this has drums, a sequencer and expanded features from the monotron. Sure it's not a 3 vco dual filtered Semi-modular super-synthesizer with a 32 step sequencer. But it shares a product line with the monotron, pretty much the most basic synth in existence. Even if it's only 8 steps, add a slapback delay and bring on the moroder basslines :D.

My guess is if they added midi control to this thing they would also add a fair bit of price and then there'd be complaints about that too so I'm not fussed, especially since the idea was more about being a sequencer groovebox anyway.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:10 am

Interesting.

clearly you enter synth pitch via ribbon, so it's analog. crazy. No controls for the bd/snare that I see, so.. samples?

Weirdest thing I see is that there is no pattern selection. doesn't mean it won't be crazy fun. just wash everything out in reverb via a kaoss pad while you program in your next pattern

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 am

cool! I will definitely buy this one...

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:21 am

th0mas wrote:No controls for the bd/snare that I see, so.. samples?
There's a few possibilities. The drum sounds could be very simple analog circuits, like in some of the old-school Casios, with adding controls left up to modders.
The drum sounds could be simplified Monotron voices, locked to 1-shot LFO mode and editable with a subset of the front panel controls when you select them.
Or, they could be samples.
th0mas wrote: Weirdest thing I see is that there is no pattern selection. doesn't mean it won't be crazy fun. just wash everything out in reverb via a kaoss pad while you program in your next pattern
No pattern selection = no memory :/ I'm wondering if the "Flux" button is some kind of functionality for smoothly adding in a new pattern. According to websters the definition of "flux" is

"The act of flowing; a continuous moving on or passing by"

so I'm kinda curious about what it might mean that Korg used that label in the place of the suspiciously absent "erase" or "reset sequence" button.
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:21 am

Wonder what that 'Flux' button does...?

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:26 am

Hugo76 wrote:Wonder what that 'Flux' button does...?
Perhaps when it is engaged it allows you to program a new sequence either without making any sound, or while sending the new sequence to the headphone out while playing the original sequence through the main out, and then replacing it with the new pattern when it's disengaged.

If that's the case (especially the latter case, using the headphone out to compose DJ-style), I can imagine plugging the line out into a monotron to play it through the internal speaker, doing monotron filter sweeps on the monotribe patterns, and jamming with the monotron's ribbon over the top. Solid little portable DJ set right there.

The only problem being the monotron's allegedly noisy output if you want to use real speakers.
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:39 am

Hugo76 wrote:Wonder what that 'Flux' button does...?
When you set the sequencer to 88 Bpm......

haj

Post by haj » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:46 am

perhaps you can daisy chain this with the sync