Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 am

Neonlights84 wrote:I only wish it had midi...or c/v....or even din sync for crying out loud!
CV would have actually made more sense in this case, but really, I think they were kind of clever to include clock in/out. You can pretty much send ANY signal in making it easily syncable to a DAW or midi setup, and there's any number of older drum machines that will immediately become compatible with this. It's certainly the cheapest and most plural option. AND it frees the machine from any midi clock rigidity i.e. you can make the unit swing, play stochastically (or arrhythmically staccato). This and a Dr. 55 or tr-606 would be a busker's delight.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:11 am

smoothcriminal wrote:The PR guy who wrote that probably gets paid by the word LOL. Also thank Aqua-Buddha we aren't talking about an Andromeda, because I couldn't afford it. At least I know if I talk myself into getting a Monotribe I won't end up in debtors prison.

edit -

I posted on Gearslutz about being excited by Monotribes audio-rate FM mode for the LFO, and now I'm locked in a "debate" with some kid who insists theres no difference between "analog FM synthesis" and sub-audio rate LFO modulation. Holy f**k, now I know why people here s**t on Gearslutz all the time.

Pull your heard out of your a*s, i wasn't debating the between the difference between Analogue FM and sub audio rate LFO modulation. And i guarantee i'm much older than you are.

:roll:
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:14 am

At any rate, if this unit sits in an area from $200-$250, that would be perfect. Any more than that, then people will probably start hemming and hawing on whether or not to buy. I think they're deliberately withholding the price.

Just to be butt heads =o]
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:26 am

Computer Controlled wrote:Pull your heard out of your a*s, i wasn't debating the between the difference between Analogue FM and sub audio rate LFO modulation.
LOOOOOOOOL I didn't recognize the avatar. I'd rather not revive a pointless semantic debate started by a pedant (who hopefully isn't also another VSE poster) but how is your statement "Any change in pitch is FM, it doesn't need to be at audio rates" not "debating the between the difference between Analogue FM and sub audio rate LFO modulation?"
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

dirtykeys
Gear: astationdr202es1mkIIesq1k2000remote25sl...

Post by dirtykeys » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 am

up on nova musik
for pre order

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:12 am

...without a price or ETA
RD9 wrote:I hate saying "I told you so", but I think this video is proof that video editors are inspired by other videos they see, such as in the case of Jexus' videos.

Fixed that for you.

It's a pretty big stretch to say that because someone makes a video demo similar to another video demo, that means that major companies are going to develop products based on what a couple of people type on a web forum. Nice try though, don't give up. :D

If you're looking for parallels to draw then might I point you in the direction of the people who actually modded monotrons to have additional features rather than people who just talk about stuff.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: It's a pretty big stretch to say that because someone makes a video demo similar to another video demo, that means that major companies are going to develop products based on what a couple of people type on a web forum. Nice try though, don't give up. :D
I think the problem here is that we are all horrible geeks...geeks have myopic vision, are focused on the things they truly care about and make the assumption that their geek fantasies are some how influential...don't get me wrong, I am sure that on some target customer page in a marketing presentation at Korg and Roland, on a page with 5 other personalities, there is a synth core audience that is certainly under some consideration.

I could very easily be wrong, but I don't think we [a few hundered at most die-hard geeks] are a target audience for big companies. I am not sure why I would want to be, either. I see the boutique manufacturers as giving a damn about me. When I write to Tom Oberheim, or Dave Smith, or Roger Linn, I actually get replies from these guys themselves. There are folks like John Bowen, and Ken MacBeth out there demonstrating their synths on the floors. I don't think I am going to get the same kind of service when I call Korg or Roland, or Akai.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 am

"We" as in synth geeks are most certainly not the target demographic for the monotribe, in fact if you already own an analog synth and a sequencer as any good synth geek should, the monotribe is almost totally pointless beyond the fun factor. The monotron and monotribe are targeted specifically at people who are not synth geeks, in order to turn them to the dark side and make the market larger. As Haj posted,
I feel the tops of Korg are more interested in seeking or creating a new category / audience
That being said, I don't think it's a coincidence that two of the more popular mods for the monotron (one-shot LFO and step sequencer) ended up as features on the Monotribe.

mute

Post by mute » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:25 am

haj wrote:
mute wrote:
smoothcriminal wrote:
It's not that I don't believe what you're saying, it's just that Korg's rep on the Messe2011 floor quoted a different (higher) price than all of the internet retailers that have posted a price so far.
He was full of c**p and took a bad guess after stating multiple times that a real price and release date had not been announced and that he had no clue. 300 euro is 430 dollars. There is no chance in h**l that the Monotribe will cost 430 USD.
the price was from a Japanese tech site, if you don't believe, fine, shut up!
I wasn't talking to you.
sqweebking wrote:If you read down the comments on the Sonic State video you'll see:
Christopher Said...
Hi there, indeed, it was very early today wednesday and I had a misunderstanding bout the pricetag. List price is in fact 237€ here in Germany. Sorry for that! We got to see the brandnew prototype only the day before so there was also a bit of improvising. However I can tell it's lotta fun to play with =)

06-Apr-11 06:41 PM
That price still seems pretty steep, but I guess we'll see when they come out late May.
Nice. Seems like Christopher was the sales floor guy, good thing he cleared that up.. could've gotten him in some heat.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:The monotribe is almost totally pointless beyond the fun factor. The monotron and monotribe are targeted specifically at people who are not synth geeks
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. That is exactly the point.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:04 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:The monotribe is almost totally pointless beyond the fun factor
No musical instrument is totally pointless IMO. If it makes a sound and someone can use that sound in any type of musical capacity, even through a ton of outboard gear, then it has a point. If it is fun as well, that is a big bonus.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Looks like fun and can only be a good thing as it will save alot of people alot of money as it could be a decent enough alternative for paying £1300 on a 303.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:I only wish it had midi...or c/v....or even din sync for crying out loud!
CV would have actually made more sense in this case, but really, I think they were kind of clever to include clock in/out. You can pretty much send ANY signal in making it easily syncable to a DAW or midi setup, and there's any number of older drum machines that will immediately become compatible with this.
How accurate is clock in/out? Will it easily stay in time with other devices? Seems like it will be pretty dodgy with most styles of music.

tryan225

Post by tryan225 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:52 pm

supermel74 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
CV would have actually made more sense in this case, but really, I think they were kind of clever to include clock in/out. You can pretty much send ANY signal in making it easily syncable to a DAW or midi setup, and there's any number of older drum machines that will immediately become compatible with this.
How accurate is clock in/out? Will it easily stay in time with other devices? Seems like it will be pretty dodgy with most styles of music.
from my experience, triggering via a 707 or 606 to a juno 60 clock in arpeggiator is very accurate. It's never been inaccurate for me.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:56 pm

supermel74 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
er... as accurate as whatever clock source is emitting it? How accurate is your digital watch? :) Surely it's more accurate than midi, with essentially no cpu interferance or delay. The clock IN will again be dependent on whatever the source is - give it a trigger from a drum machine = accurate. give it the snare hit from a disco track = less accurate. BUT the beauty of that is that at least it will keep in time with said disco track, even if it's not running at a consistent tempo. midi/din can't do that.
Do you even post on vse bro?