Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
supermel74
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:56 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by supermel74 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:56 pm

I thought this was an audio in trigger? That's what I was going on. Would it be accurate triggered from an audio out from a drum machine

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:21 pm

supermel74 wrote:I thought this was an audio in trigger? That's what I was going on. Would it be accurate triggered from an audio out from a drum machine
It says it has pulse out, so I assume it takes pulse in... how accurate it can respond to the audio output of any drum machine will come down to the strength of the signal. I would imagine the best result though will come from something akin to a pulse signal or trigger.
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:27 pm
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by th0mas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:26 pm

smoothcriminal wrote: The monotron and monotribe are targeted specifically at people who are not synth geeks
This is a big reason why all of your comparisons between a boutique synth manufacturer and Korg, and the followup "told-ya-so's" on the announcement of the monotribe, were totally irrelevant and the claims unfounded.

User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.
Location: stuck in ohio.
Contact:

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by space6oy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:35 pm

sorry if someone's already shared this one, didn't see it on the last few pages though:

[youtube][/youtube]

also has this comment:
I was just emailed by andertons offering at pre-order £169.00 so I somehow doubt it'll be ten times the price in the US ;)

smoothcriminal
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 598
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm
Real name: Matt

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 pm

th0mas wrote:all of your comparisons between a boutique synth manufacturer and Korg, and the followup "told-ya-so's" on the announcement of the monotribe, were totally irrelevant and the claims unfounded.
The monotribe is slightly more expensive than the Atomo Mochika but in the same ballpark ... in other words the boutique price for a 1-VCO + 8-step sequencer/synth is almost a perfect 1:1 comparison with what Korg is charging for a 1-VCO + 8-step sequencer/synth (which an even closer analogy than I was claiming). It's the exact opposite of what you are giving me s**t for not agreeing with, that a mass-produced Korg would have to be sold significantly cheaper than an equivalent boutique because you're increasing supply and not demand. Which brings us back to my original point in that thread (thanks for bringing it up), which was that you don't have a perfect understanding of what the demand is and you don't know all the factors that affect it for a particular product, therefore shitting on people for not agreeing with your premises is quite offensive.

But you should go tell Korg that "economics 101" proves they can't make a profit with the Monotribe. Maybe send them that handy little supply vs demand graph and a couple facepalm emoticons?

User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.
Location: stuck in ohio.
Contact:

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by space6oy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:30 pm

glad i got to share that video before this thread gets locked for all the arguing.

User avatar
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:43 am

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by kuroichi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:45 pm

So... does anyone have any actual information, ie new videos, schematics etc, cause all this synth gossip is making my heart bleed.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 pm

kuroichi wrote:So... does anyone have any actual information, ie new videos, schematics etc, cause all this synth gossip is making my heart bleed.
huh? like 4 days ago, all we had was a fragment of a photo, and now we've got full specs and multiple videos documenting pretty much every feature. What else could you want for a product that's not even released? :blink:
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:08 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by griffin avid » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 pm

glad i got to share that video before this thread gets locked for all the arguing.

Well I think they are both right. When you complain about co$t or lack of features- it's the analogue aspects that you are taking the hit for. Does anyone think that if this was a little digital/VA box, it'd have more features? It shows in the size and cosmetics and build. The Economics 101 thing was a little over the top. You decide what you want to do and then find a way to make a profit at it. I think that's Running a Business 101.

If KORG wants to make analogue synths they will. They will also find a way to do it at a profit.
This forum would be better off discussing philosophy over finance when it comes to KORG's next move.
If you're the guy at the meeting and you raise your hand and say "Let's make an analogue synth!"
A suit is going to ask next about profitability.

You explain your case and also bolster your argument about how 'poorly' the last digital/VA went over.
Sometimes the Moving On To The Next Idea isn't spurned on by success, sometimes it's lack of success or failure.
Was the Kronos born from 'competition from Roland/Yamaha' or simply the reaction to the OA$Y$ and M3?

All I'm saying is: the side that says they wouldn't/couldn't do a proper analogue could be right if it takes YEARS to see a true modern incarnation of the MS10/MS20 (which is what the debate started from [and not just ANY analogue synth by definition])- which means KORG is waiting for the market to catch up with their inner desires.

And I say inner desires because KORG obviously still cares.
They obviously listen and it seems they sprinkle the attention according to true numbers.

Fan boys: make a lot of noise, but are small in number.
Historians: Hate the new, love the old, small in number.
Hobbyists: Buy what they believe they need. Medium sized, but enough to generate a profit.

Consumers: Get what's popular. Largest group that constitutes and determines whether or not you have a hit. Like anything, people that buy stuff because well, everyone is buying it/them/one. Depending on where they hang out or go for information, anyone of the former groups could be hurting or helping sales. So everyone is important to a degree.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

User avatar
Computer Controlled
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 am
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 pm

The sync in takes an audio signal as well. I'm guessing for every pulse/trigger it gets, it advances the sequencer one step. Like tHe 101 and Pro-One.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

User avatar
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:27 pm
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by th0mas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:17 pm

smoothcriminal wrote: that a mass-produced Korg would have to be sold significantly cheaper than an equivalent boutique because you're increasing supply and not demand.
taking this to pm one last time

User avatar
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:43 am

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by kuroichi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
kuroichi wrote:So... does anyone have any actual information, ie new videos, schematics etc, cause all this synth gossip is making my heart bleed.
huh? like 4 days ago, all we had was a fragment of a photo, and now we've got full specs and multiple videos documenting pretty much every feature. What else could you want for a product that's not even released? :blink:
I want to see some balloon animals dammit!
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

User avatar
Neonlights84
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:28 am
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow
Contact:

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 am

smoothcriminal wrote:"We" as in synth geeks are most certainly not the target demographic for the monotribe, in fact if you already own an analog synth and a sequencer as any good synth geek should, the monotribe is almost totally pointless beyond the fun factor. The monotron and monotribe are targeted specifically at people who are not synth geeks, in order to turn them to the dark side and make the market larger. As Haj posted,
I feel the tops of Korg are more interested in seeking or creating a new category / audience
That being said, I don't think it's a coincidence that two of the more popular mods for the monotron (one-shot LFO and step sequencer) ended up as features on the Monotribe.

I have analog synths and a sequencer, and yet I do not find this product to be pointless.It could mean access to analog drums at a price even lower than something like the MFB 503. It this thing sells for around 225 bucks, I would be hard pressed to stay away.
Last edited by Neonlights84 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

User avatar
RD9
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 am
Location: NY/NJ

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by RD9 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:...without a price or ETA
RD9 wrote:I hate saying "I told you so", but I think this video is proof that video editors are inspired by other videos they see, such as in the case of Jexus' videos.

Fixed that for you.

It's a pretty big stretch to say that because someone makes a video demo similar to another video demo, that means that major companies are going to develop products based on what a couple of people type on a web forum. Nice try though, don't give up. :D

If you're looking for parallels to draw then might I point you in the direction of the people who actually modded monotrons to have additional features rather than people who just talk about stuff.
I'm just talking about the video and that Korg does take inspiration from videos like Jexus'. Not talking about the Monotribe itself.

smoothcriminal
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 598
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm
Real name: Matt

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by smoothcriminal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:26 am

Neonlights84 wrote:I have analog synths and a sequencer, and yet I do not find this product to be pointless.
I said "almost pointless" in the sense of "limited in usefulness compared to/in conjunction with gear I already own."

Post Reply