Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
crofter
Gear: microkorg
KP3
Kaossilator
DS10
Mini KP
alesis Micron
Juno D
Blofeld
Xio synth.
Yamaha PSS-570
Korg Monotron
Korg Microstation

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by crofter » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Psy_Free wrote:
crofter wrote:I think I'd rather spend an extra few quid and get one of these,
http://www.thomann.de/gb/mfb_nanozwerg.htm
Go for it. It's not really the same kind of thing as the Monotribe though, no sequencer or drums.

.htm
Yes, I nearly bought one last year but thought that Korg may come up with something similar in the wake of the Monotron, I'd rather have an instrument I can play than a very limited drum machine, I think I'll get the Nanozwerg when they are back in stock.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Why are there no videos showing the drum sounds being tweaked? It would be nice to hear exactly what they're capable of.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:57 pm

supermel74 wrote:Why are there no videos showing the drum sounds being tweaked? It would be nice to hear exactly what they're capable of.
because as far as anyone knows they're preset.
w00t

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:07 pm

That sucks. I'll pass on this one.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Personally, I cant wait to hack into this thing. Analog drum sounds are a snap to modify and I guarantee you will be seeing some tricked out ones.

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:39 pm

I don't understand why people are disappointed. Korg did all the leg work, took what people wanted, a simple bassline and drum machine, designed the circuits with discrete components and stuffed it all into a portable piece of kit. This thing begs to be modded, it seems to me they did all the hard parts now all we have to do is a few simple additions and this thing could be killer. 606 and 303 in the same box? Yes please. Sure the sequencing isn't in depth but it's simple an easy to be creative with. I want at least one.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Altitude wrote:Personally, I cant wait to hack into this thing. Analog drum sounds are a snap to modify and I guarantee you will be seeing some tricked out ones.
For modders it's probably a sweet piece.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Altitude wrote:Personally, I cant wait to hack into this thing. Analog drum sounds are a snap to modify and I guarantee you will be seeing some tricked out ones.
definitely. It will be a pain in SMD to wire up the two pads to replace the resistors with pots, but it will be done and will be awesome.

As I have a monotron that I modded with CV/Gate however, I might just finish my own analog CV sequencer with parts I have laying around and sync it to a dr-110. This thing looks mega-fun either way though.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Yeah, cuz a good product is one that isn't what I want until I have to modify it myself.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Most of the things I mod, I ruin. I do it because it's fun/rewarding. So I do think modability makes for a better product, not because it's necessary to improve it, but because it's fun to try and improve it and pays off if you are successful.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Yeah, cuz a good product is one that isn't what I want until I have to modify it myself.
You clearly bypassed Lego and Transformers. There are people for whom the ease of all that is a reason for buying. Personally, I think the Monotribe looks like it's almost been designed to attract that mindset.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:42 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Yeah, cuz a good product is one that isn't what I want until I have to modify it myself.
You clearly bypassed Lego and Transformers. There are people for whom the ease of all that is a reason for buying. Personally, I think the Monotribe looks like it's almost been designed to attract that mindset.
Oh, BOY did I bypass Transformers... they're a bit after my time.
But Lego... I was the KING of Lego. Of course, they were designed to be a tool for creation/construction. Unlike, say, Merlin. A more accurate parallel would be if I was simply unsatisfied with Merlin's functionality, and felt compelled to add a laser, or something. :wink:

I confess that while I understand the motivation to mod, I simply cannot grasp the motivation of buying a new device at full retail so you can change it. There are much easier, and hopefully less expensive, ways of making sound than that, I would think. That being said, I don't oppose the practice. I just find it strange.

So, if I buy a Monotribe... is there someone here who can disable or modify that ridiculous tuning functionality for me? I'd just like a pot, please. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I simply cannot grasp the motivation of buying a new device at full retail so you can change it.
Well, it's only £169. Or $250. Or ¥21000. So it's been designed down to a price that means more bedroom hackers will be able to afford it. Carrot, stick, donkey with a soldering iron.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:38 pm

yeah, I hear ya... Tho I can see a couple of totally useful things being worth it, specifically in regards to the drum sounds and adding a few parameter controls.
Do you even post on vse bro?

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:48 pm

I realize I'm not necessarily speaking for the masses but

I'd rather spend the hours myself to mod it than the price+markup for the added parts and engineering built in. to a certain extent, anyways