Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by factual35 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:18 pm

I was pretty much beside myself when I first heard about the Monotribe a couple days ago. I've been wanting to see something like this ever since the Monotron came out. I recall rambling on to my girlfriend about how KORG needs to make "a little analog Electribe with a drum machine". Then, lo and behold, here it is.

Still, I'm going to have to see/hear some real songs made with it. Most of what I've heard from it has been noise. I like noise, I've made plenty of it, I have a Throbbing Gristle collection, but I need hear more melody from this thing. That's going to be the deciding factor for me. I think the lack of midi sync is major downfall with this peice. Pretty much restricts you to using the built in drum machine, which is too limited to do much with.

I'll just wait until it's in the hands of the general public and videos show up youtube. I've seen amazing things done with the Monotron, so I'm not giving up hope yet.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:33 pm

mute wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
kuroichi wrote:The ability to feedback loop the percussion could have added something to the Monotribe, as that plus the ability to feed it an irregular clock could have wielded interesting results, but it can only be used as a filter to external audio input if the synth is triggered...
You can't plug the output to the input? Surely that can't be the case. Haven't got one to play around with the clock yet but will it really not trigger from an irregular clock? Are you feeding it proper +5V triggers?
You're giving his comment too much credence. He's combined like 4 things he's read other people say into 1 sentence. Theater of the absurd.
Actually he's one of the only people on this board who owns a Monotribe.
factual35 wrote:I think the lack of midi sync is major downfall with this peice. Pretty much restricts you to using the built in drum machine, which is too limited to do much with.
Maybe you need midi, a lot of people don't. I'm really looking forward to clocking this to the sequencer on my modular, or to the clock controller I wrote in Max4Live.

mizu
Gear: Casio MA-101 (going to buy a synth to replace that toy keyboard)
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:26 am

mcomeg wrote:Just picked mine up in Maebashi, Japan for 18,900 yen (about $200) American. I'll come back and post some thoughts about usage in a week or so. Maybe it's a bad idea, but I may give the Monotron to my two year old daughter - get her into synthesis early, y'know
found one in Kichijoji Japan. Very nice. it was 16,900 yen though.

factual35

Post by factual35 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:24 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Maybe you need midi, a lot of people don't. I'm really looking forward to clocking this to the sequencer on my modular, or to the clock controller I wrote in Max4Live.
You don't need to make me sound like the only person in the world that has a problem with the lack of MIDI. I recall seeing a lot of complaints to this effect on YouTube. I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread as well.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:00 pm

factual35 wrote:the lack of MIDI.
On the bright side it sounds like the sync input will accept an audio source. I used to do this with my Juno-60. Any short, loud sound like a drum hit should work. But I too hope that these products continue to evolve into bigger and better things.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:03 pm

factual35 wrote:I recall seeing a lot of complaints to this effect on YouTube.
You often use Youtube comments as a barometer?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:18 pm

factual35 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Maybe you need midi, a lot of people don't. I'm really looking forward to clocking this to the sequencer on my modular, or to the clock controller I wrote in Max4Live.
You don't need to make me sound like the only person in the world that has a problem with the lack of MIDI. I recall seeing a lot of complaints to this effect on YouTube. I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread as well.
What's with the persecution complex? You said:
Pretty much restricts you to using the built in drum machine, which is too limited to do much with.
I was just pointing out that for me (you did use the pronoun you) and anybody who uses a soundcard with more than two outputs it's not a factor at all. I think that people who only use midi and don't use a computer in their music making/recording are actually in the minority these days. This is a budget piece, you can't expect it to have every feature built in and still be $200. People buy 303s, 606s and lots of other gear that doesn't have midi sync for a lot more than this goes for, and don't have any problems using it.

Maybe you're not experienced/knowledgeable/imaginative to realise there are lots of other ways to sync things without midi. In that case congratulations! You've just learnt some new ways of doing stuff that might help you make better music in future. :D

Finally, I know youtube is full of people whining like babies, that doesn't mean it's acceptable here. Perhaps if you'd actually read the thread before posting you would have seen that this thread has already gone through the complaining about price/midi/whatever and is now out the other side. Please don't try to drag it back there.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:06 pm

Those two commenting one ...after ....the other...

I was pretty much beside myself when I first heard about the Monotribe a couple days ago. I've been wanting to see something like this ever since the Monotron came out. I recall rambling on to my girlfriend about how KORG needs to make "a little analog Electribe with a drum machine". Then, lo and behold, here it is.

Me too, but I wasn't talking to your GF or at least I don't think I was... ;)
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 am

this korg vid shows a few ways you can sync if you havent already seen it..

they appear to be available for around $200 now, im gonna pick one up this week for sure, look like a whole bunch of fun :)

factual35

Post by factual35 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
factual35 wrote:
What's with the persecution complex? You said:
Pretty much restricts you to using the built in drum machine, which is too limited to do much with.
I was just pointing out that for me (you did use the pronoun you) and anybody who uses a soundcard with more than two outputs it's not a factor at all. I think that people who only use midi and don't use a computer in their music making/recording are actually in the minority these days. This is a budget piece, you can't expect it to have every feature built in and still be $200. People buy 303s, 606s and lots of other gear that doesn't have midi sync for a lot more than this goes for, and don't have any problems using it.

Maybe you're not experienced/knowledgeable/imaginative to realise there are lots of other ways to sync things without midi. In that case congratulations! You've just learnt some new ways of doing stuff that might help you make better music in future. :D

Finally, I know youtube is full of people whining like babies, that doesn't mean it's acceptable here. Perhaps if you'd actually read the thread before posting you would have seen that this thread has already gone through the complaining about price/midi/whatever and is now out the other side. Please don't try to drag it back there.
Yeah, sorry about bringing the complaining back in. I did actually read a lot of the thread, which is part of the reason behind why I am less enthusiastic about this machine compared to when I first saw/heard it.

And I am aware of the others ways gear can be synced, and actually figured out how to sync this thing to my stuff. That is, if I'm correct in thinking the sync signals used with the Monotribe are audio-based clicks. I could easily do that with my EA-1 which would be MIDI'd to my ES-1. Problem solved.

I feel like I should thank you, since your post promted me to come up with a solution. :)

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:32 am

first monotribe hack on youtube (as far as i can tell)
he added a bass drum decay knob.

James Mandible

Post by James Mandible » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:50 pm

officially available from sweetwater, though no shipping date just yet
$250 :(

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... =Monotribe

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:14 pm

James Mandible wrote:$250 :(
Talk to the guys at NovaMusik. Their "pre-order special price" is $219.
http://www.novamusik.com/

awol9000

Post by awol9000 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:24 am

Up here in Canada they're $194 @ Moog Audio :yahoo:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:17 am

lazerface wrote:first monotribe hack on youtube (as far as i can tell)
he added a bass drum decay knob.

Yeah, the first mod I could think of EVER doing on the Monotribe is that. Because there's nothing better than having a bass drum that suddenly becomes a fixed-pitch tone.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay