Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
redchapterjubilee

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I got mine yesterday but hadn't had a chance to open it up until today. It is being used as the backbone of this live version of one of the earliest great unwashed luminaries tracks. Lots of other synths in here too (Lancet, Junos A-1 and 106, Casio PT-10, M-Tron, Tetra, Monotribe). I videoed some of it and hope to sync it together (though it's anticlimactic since I'm not really tweaking or "jamming" with the Monotribe). but here's the Monotribe in more of a John carpenter/Berlin School sort of setting.

http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:03 am

I like it a lot! Much less obvious use, than 1 bar tweak tweak tweak tweak

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks! I was messing around with it a little more last night and figured out how to make it do odd time signatures, how to get the synth to just drone, clipping the drum decay, etc. I will say that immediately I wished it had a separate outs for the drum machine so I could just affect it, or run it through my Monotron's filter. I'm pretty sure that someone will figure out a hack for that, so I'll keep my eyes open for it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

atticus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by atticus » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:05 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:I got mine yesterday but hadn't had a chance to open it up until today. It is being used as the backbone of this live version of one of the earliest great unwashed luminaries tracks. Lots of other synths in here too (Lancet, Junos A-1 and 106, Casio PT-10, M-Tron, Tetra, Monotribe). I videoed some of it and hope to sync it together (though it's anticlimactic since I'm not really tweaking or "jamming" with the Monotribe). but here's the Monotribe in more of a John carpenter/Berlin School sort of setting.

This is lovely, more great music from you. I think the Monotribe carries some weight in the mix, drums do the job too. Can't wait to get one. None of the online places I use (UK) have them in stock I'm glad to say, coz of course the more Monotribes Korg sell the faster we will see a midi analogue from them.
Bugbrand Modular, MFB Synth II, Roland Juno 1, Roland JD-990, Novation Supernova, Jomox Airbase, Roland SH-09, Roland HS-60, Mac & Logic

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:20 am

Yeah love that track Kelly, I'm following you on soundcloud now.

My monotribe arrived yesterday, been playing around with it this morning and it's very very fun. This afternoon I'm plugging it into the modular to see what I can make it do, I think running the sync out to the RCD and using that as the master clock for the modular is gonna be pretty awesome. I also think it's gonna sound great through some effects, I've just been using the internal speaker and headphones so far.

Regarding mods I would love a separate output for the drums, a switch or pot for the osc -> filter level and controls for the drum decay time and level. Will open it up and see what can be done.

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:10 am

Very impressed so far! The polarity switch option is especially useful for syncing it to old Korg/Yamaha stuff. Also fun to record using the flux option like a looper for weird sounds.

I have been noticing notes from sequences randomly going way out of tune though. Had to turn the notes off and on to get the right pitches to play again. Not sure if the included batteries are dying or what.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:40 am

kpliver wrote:I have been noticing notes from sequences randomly going way out of tune though. Had to turn the notes off and on to get the right pitches to play again. Not sure if the included batteries are dying or what.
I've noticed it goes out if you give the VCO a lot of LFO, but giving it a chance to autotune again fixes it. I'm running on the original batteries too though so that may have something to do with it. I imagine it's not the world's most stable osc which is why there's no CV in.

Last night I brought my Monotribe to the show I was mixing and ran it through the PA after soundcheck, the kick drum is amazingly deep on this. I was pretty surprised after just using it through the internal speaker and headphones up to that point.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:48 am

I got mine yesterday, it arrived at my mom's house on Friday but I didn't get a chance to go pick it until last night...I sounds really cool and it is a nice little time killer... Will try to record something soon...My main complain is that the high hat is barely audible but then again I have been using it with the built in speaker too...

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 am

Super happy with my two Monotribes. I quite like the link cable to run multiple units through one's internal clock. The BD is amazing sounding and there's a lot of power in these small wonders. I wish the internal speaker was a little better but hey, it sounds rough and tough through my monitors and sub woofer. I like the recording on the fly and just about everything else that you can think of that comes with this little beastie. Hat's off to Korg, it's a killer design and fun to work/play around with!
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Got mine yesterday. Played it in the UPS parking lot. I hate UPS. They charged me a $30 fee to pay $12 in customs. AUGH.

I kinda hated it until I
- overwrote the original sequence. I was sick of it from the youtube demos before even opening the box
- hit the "flux" button. the lack of half-steps on the sequencer was killing me until that point.

My favorite thing to do is record a few bass notes in "key" mode then switch to "wide" to add a full-spectrum dive at the end of the pattern.

Also using it as two separate four-step patterns is really useful for trying to write music with it. program in a new 8step drum track on whichever side while tweaking the other.

The thing's weaknesses (one pattern, etc) is also it's strengths. With a bit of practice reprogramming the entire drum track should be possible within 4 bars of time.

Very excited to wire this to a kaoss pad and sync to my TR 707, but actually thinking about doing battery powered set with a little casio, kaoss pad, and the monotribe. If only there was a way to sequence the casio beats with the tribe :D

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Mod-Ho!

do any of you solder ninjas know how feasible it would be to to transpose the sequencer up and down using an external CV signal?

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Are the monotribes compatible with the gate pulses from an analogue step sequencer?

Was sitting today playing with my MFB SEQ-02 and though about how cool it would be to synchronize another simple sequencer with it...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:34 am

polardark wrote:Are the monotribes compatible with the gate pulses from an analogue step sequencer?
Yes, mine is now integrated into my modular. :) It outputs a trigger at each of the eight steps so you may find it running at double time, I'm considering adding a shuffling clock multiplier to my system because of this.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:15 am

SKINNYPIG wrote:do any of you solder ninjas know how feasible it would be to to transpose the sequencer up and down using an external CV signal?
Not very. The VCO is controlled by a CV from the monotribe's processor, which is constantly being remapped. You couldn't mix an external CV at that point as it would probably not scale accurately 99% of the time. The transpose switch is read by the processor to effect the CV out, so you'd need to rewrite the code (and use an AD convertor) to have it controlled by a CV.

All the mods we're seeing at this stage are just hooking stuff up to the points marked on the circuit board.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:54 am

th0mas wrote:Got mine yesterday. Played it in the UPS parking lot. I hate UPS. They charged me a $30 fee to pay $12 in customs. AUGH.
your location says Ontario, so where did you buy yours?
I used MoogAudio.com to buy my MFB-522 which was imported from Germany obviously and didn't have to deal with any shipping charges or duties.

They also have it for the cheapest price I've seen it online
http://www.moogaudio.com/korg-monotribe-p-4849.html
w00t