Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by TrondC » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:45 am

ps:

http://korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=601

edit: LOL, there was a pic there yesterday, I guess it was a small leak (intended or not)

here is the thumbnail that I saved before the info was taken down:

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:48 am

I vote intended, they must have noticed everyone discussing it had to say something about the teaser being released on April 1.

There's a rumor there was also a video of someone playing it on Youtube for a short time. Anyway if you read back a few pages there's full-sized pics from synthtopia.com

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 am

sqweebking wrote:By the size of it and the fact that there is a 'Synth' button next to the drum buttons, makes me think that there are 4 monotrons inside.
Those 4 buttons are probably just for the sequencer. Doesn't say anything about anything.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 am

polardark wrote:
sqweebking wrote:By the size of it and the fact that there is a 'Synth' button next to the drum buttons, makes me think that there are 4 monotrons inside.
Those 4 buttons are probably just for the sequencer. Doesn't say anything about anything.
Correct.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 am

Know what ticks me off most about this?????

I bought a Monotron and my roomate bought an arduino last week...

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:46 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:But even really well designed, expensive, stable VCOs go out of tune eventually. Maybe it's a trimpot on the bottom of the case or something.
Probably wouldn't be too hard to add if it lacks one. Biggest problem would be cracking the plastic when you drill it...

I'm taking a wild guess, but I think, given the Montron's modus, I'd expect to see three very simple analogue drum circuits in here. It would seem overkill to add samples. A couple of dozen discrete parts is all it would take and as they're surface mount you could make 'em the size of postage stamps.

Looks like fun though - I've held off on a Monotron but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of one of each. A pair of these and my DP-004 would make a good little pack to take on breaks.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:03 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:But even really well designed, expensive, stable VCOs go out of tune eventually. Maybe it's a trimpot on the bottom of the case or something.
I think they'll get away with that by underplaying the melodic aspect and showing it doing sequenced 'analog craziness' (ie. daft bleeps) that people seem to love nowadays. Besides, tune drift is how you know it's analog. ;)

It would be funny if they demo'd someone doing crazy a*s solos on it though...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

haj

Post by haj » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:07 am

key person behind the monotron is a young engineer who has recently joined to Korg. if my memory serves, at the job interview he brought a handmade analogue designed by himself to show his ability and enthusiasm to analogue. no doubt his dream is to develop a new analogue in Korg. He was hired but Korg obviously couldn't give a go for a revision MS20 for the business even if they'd love to do. Their especially old engineers must shared the same dream so with the advise and help from the elder engineers the monoron was developed. so you see the compromises of the final design and their message for the moddability. Still, they weren't sure if it would be a success but apparently it was, at least enough to give another go for a next project. I bet monotribe is again from the same young engineer. And it's also clear that Korg is not going to develop a full featured more expensive analogue soon. business wise they are still researching the market, and basically I feel the tops of Korg are more interested in seeking or creating a new category / audience rather than just chasing a trend and nostalgia; their mind is more like Nintendo was so for DS and Wii, I think. Korg has always been trying to be unique. that's how I see this from a Japanese perspective.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 am

It looks like a fun machine, pretty too! No midi is strange though.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 am

haj wrote:key person behind the monotron is a young engineer who has recently joined to Korg. if my memory serves, at the job interview he brought a handmade analogue designed by himself to show his ability and enthusiasm to analogue.
Where did you get that info from? Japanese magazine or something?

haj

Post by haj » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:49 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
haj wrote:key person behind the monotron is a young engineer who has recently joined to Korg. if my memory serves, at the job interview he brought a handmade analogue designed by himself to show his ability and enthusiasm to analogue.
Where did you get that info from? Japanese magazine or something?
variou Japanese news sites blogs and interviews etc on the internet. they're in Japanese, tho.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:58 am

That is a very interesting design. Kudos to Korg for really going outside of the mainstream.

I'm curious about the sequencer implementation. 4 tracks, 8 steps, and a ribbon for note input. did they implement all of that with discreet digital logic or is there a microcontroller on board? if there is a CPU and its something off-the-shelf (Atmel, etc) then the firmware would be hackable meaning easier mods for things like MIDI.

As Stab mentioned, the lack of a tune knob is certainly curious. It clearly says VCO on the panel so I find it highly unlikely the osc is digitally clocked to keep it stable (wouldn't they put DCO on the panel then?). Maybe the Octave knob is continuous and not a selector?

My guess is that the drum sounds are simple analog circuits with plenty of TP's for hacks. Although, if there is a CPU on board they could be samples.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 pm

griffin avid wrote:I don't know. There is still the lingering [bad] feelings about the other thread. And I don't know how there's a ten page thread about this very kind of product and no one must speak about..ya...know...that thing.
People can reference whatever thread they want; people are not going to use a new thread to b***h about perceived wrong doings, hence the warning.

Anyhow, carry on.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The thing that doesn't make sense to me is the lack of a knob for tuning the VCO. The Monotron VCO isn't stable enough by itself to just need the octave selector switch, so if this is planning on playing with other synths there needs to be some kind of tune knob...
It's not as simple as tuning, the VCO in the Monotron wasn't even designed to track pitch properly. It's more like a wildly unstable LFO that goes into audio territory. It's a very cheap circuit. That's why they still put a little ribbon controller on it instead of keys, or even buttons for notes. I also doubt the Monotribe will let you record pitch via the sequencer. I bet you just get the 8 steps of the sequencer to turn the EG/VCA on and off, then you are left to control the pitch yourself in real time from the ribbon.

I keep saying that's why there's no MIDI and no proper CV/Gate input. They would have to redesign the oscillator and increase the cost of the unit to get proper pitch tracking. Maybe they will do this on the next "upgrade". This thing is still a toy, but even so it looks like fun.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 pm

I giggled like a school girl when I saw this.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."