Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by JayEm » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:17 am

i would f**k this if i could
w00t

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:28 am

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:41 am

I'm still not totally sold on this being real (too good to be true?), but I'm just curious where are the posts from Stab, Tallowwaters, th0mas, etc, letting us know that we're all morons for believing something that they know for certain is an April Fools prank, since it's just "economics 101" that Korg could never build an analog synth more complicated than the monotron?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:44 am

This looks sweet, Korg just keep coming out with tasty little bits of kit like this that just do the job well - if this is real, consider me officially interested ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 am

smoothcriminal wrote:I'm still not totally sold on this being real (too good to be true?), but I'm just curious where are the posts from Stab, Tallowwaters, th0mas, etc, letting us know that we're all morons for believing something that they know for certain is an April Fools prank, since it's just "economics 101" that Korg could never build an analog synth more complicated than the monotron?
Please don't put words into other people's mouths, it's quite rude.

You may find that some people want to know all the facts before forming an opinion on something. At this stage the only information is that Korg have announced that they're making an announcement, and that they've trademarked a Monotribe 'Multitrack Rhythm and Drum Machine'. Multitrack Rhythm and Drum Machine doesn't sound like 'sub-$500 analogue monosynth' to me, sound more like a groovebox style thing with an analogue synth part. Maybe it'll be something like a Spectralis? Anyway, I'm interested to find out what it'll be next week. No doubt it's not going to please everybody.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:59 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: No doubt it's not going to please everybody.
But I think we'd rather just b***h about how they got it wrong and should have added 23 oscillators and tap tempo distortion!

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:03 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Multitrack Rhythm and Drum Machine doesn't sound like 'sub-$500 analogue monosynth' to me
MONOtribe doesn't sound like a MONOphonic analog groovebox for around the price of an ElecTRIBE EMX ($500) to you? I mean, I'm fairly confident if that's what it is, it's going to be well north of $500 (sub-$1k tho), but we're also talking about something with a sequencer unlike the "$500 analog" thread.

I'm also curious if you remember the thread where I suggested it would make sense for Korg to put an analog mono in a groovebox, I looked through my old posts to try and find it, but the only reference I could find was http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 80#p589880, where I think you are referring to that thread. Do you recall what you were referring to when you said we had that discussion about analog filters already?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:27 am

wide/narrow might be a high/low for LFO rate...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:00 am

@smoothcriminal....do we have to start this up again? come on, move on why don't you. :roll: There's a reason why the other thread got locked and I don't think it's in anyones best interest to start it up again here.

On the actual monotribe, yeah it does sound pretty cool :D, at this stage we don't know too much about the drum section.....i'd be interested to see if it's digital/analogue hybrid or actually some classic ana-drums. Interesting.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:23 am

smoothcriminal wrote:
I'm still not totally sold on this being real (too good to be true?), but I'm just curious where are the posts from Stab, Tallowwaters, th0mas, etc, letting us know that we're all morons for believing something that they know for certain is an April Fools prank, since it's just "economics 101" that Korg could never build an analog synth more complicated than the monotron?
As long as we're revisiting canned worms: most of the arguments weren't against your premise per se, but the (still) specious evidence you used to support it, and your refusal (or inability) to elaborate on it when challenged.
Last edited by pricklyrobot on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:26 am

i dig this guy's terminology. :agree:

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:36 am

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:52 am

smoothcriminal wrote:Image
Me too !
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:22 am

pricklyrobot wrote:As long as we're revisiting canned worms: most of the arguments weren't against your premise per se, but the (still) specious evidence you used to support it, and your refusal (or inability) to elaborate on it when challenged.
Idk why you're trying to make this about me, because I didn't start that thread, and my argument was very narrowly focused towards attitudes in the discussion that I find objectionable, but the tact you're taking is hilarious (inability to elaborate when challenged?) considering the counter-argument at the time consisted of "you don't understand economics, here's a link to the wikipedia page on economics as evidence of you being wrong."

But hey, like I said in my first post in this thread, if it turns out the Monotribe is a VA or an april fools joke, then maybe I will look like an asshole for objecting to the attitude that anyone contemplating the big 3 making a modern analog is ignorant and deserving of condescension and insults. But either way I find it funny that the idea is suddenly not so deserving of ridicule now that there's a hint it might actually happen.
tekkentool wrote:On the actual monotribe, yeah it does sound pretty cool :D, at this stage we don't know too much about the drum section.....i'd be interested to see if it's digital/analogue hybrid or actually some classic ana-drums. Interesting.
I was just thinking about the whole "multitrack rhythm machine" thing from the patent. It's possible it's just some sort of general patent category for grooveboxes, but what if it's an analog drum machine with Monotron voice architecture for each sound?

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:41 am

Assholes anyway and I don't even care what you guys are arguing about in this thread. Sometimes you got to be the bigger person, and just let it go, otherwise asshole. I can sing that to a song if you like? I'll call it April First's Enormous Irrupting Assholes.
Last edited by Zamise on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]