Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:15 am

sqweebking wrote:If there's no proper cv/gate what kind of results are people getting when running cv/gate into a modded monotron? I was under the impression that once tuned, using the pitch knob, they tracked just like any other oscillator. Is this wrong?
AFAIK you get an octave or two before it gets out of tune.

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:24 am

Looks like a few more details are out now..
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... e-details/

According to Korg, the Monotribe shares the Monotron’s analog DNA, but delves deeper into the rich, organic, and often chaotic world of analog synthesis. In addition to analog synthesis, Monotribe offers ease of use, a three-part discrete analog rhythm section and Electribe-style sequencing.

features/specifications:
The powerful sound of true analog synthesis
3-part analog drums, using discrete analog circuitry
Popular Electribe-style sequencing.
Active Step and Flux features for realtime dynamic loop manipulation
Advanced multi-function ribbon keyboard; Chromatic, Continuous, & Wide modes
Auto-tuning provides stable pitch for accurate chromatic playability
Selectable oscillator waveform, noise generator, and versatile LFO
Uses the same VCF (filter) circuit as the classic MS-10/MS-20
Sync In & Out jacks allows synchronized integration with multiple units
Battery operation, built-in speaker and compact size deliver on-the-go groove-making
Check out the details and let us know what you think!

Here’s Korg’s official description for the Monotribe:

True Analog Synthesis

The monotribe’s sound engine uses technology old and new, merging the powerful sound of analog synthesis with the dexterity and playability required in today’s groove making environments. Analog technology is essential for fast and responsive control, and delivers the full sonic spectrum from warm and easy-going to full-throttle rampage.

Three-Part Analog Drums

The monotribe provides a three-part rhythm section powered by discrete analog circuitry; bass drum, snare, and hi-hat. These three sounds were the key elements in a generation of analog beat making, and are still in demand today. Use these powerful drum sounds to generate distinctive beats attainable only from the monotribe.

Electribe-Style Groove Creation

For over a decade, Korg Electribes have served as the standard tools for dance music and DJ work, and has earned outstanding popularity, even appearing recently as a top-selling iPad app. The fantastic step key interface lives on in monotribe, with a dedicated button for each of the eight steps. This allows realtime, hands-on step editing of not only the drum parts, but also for any synth part sequence played on the ribbon keyboard.

Active Step and Flux Mode

Active Step editing lets you remove or re-insert individual steps, creating short loop-like effects or off-beat patterns that weave in and out of complex rhythms. The step buttons provide this Active Step control during playback, and also provide an instant return to the original 8-step sequence if needed. Flux Mode allows the creation of sequenced synth parts that are not rigidly tied to the step grid, providing more musical versatility. The creation and morphing of edgy beats and stuttering rhythms has never been easier.

Auto-Tuning Analog

Analog synthesizers of yesteryear were prone to drift in pitch. But no more! The monotribe?s auto-tuning circuitry provides stable chromatic playability, and will not go out of tune. This auto-tuning technology also means no warm-up time, no servicing for pitch calibration, no sensitivity to temperature changes – just the great sound of analog VCO.

Multi-Mode Ribbon Keyboard

The ribbon controller keyboard provides three selectable playing modes/ranges. The chromatic mode (KEY) is ideal for playing melodies and bass lines, and stepping smoothly from note to note. Switch to the continuous mode (NARROW) for glides and bends – just as on the monotron. Also available is the wide continuous mode (WIDE) with a six-fold pitch range for dramatic synth zaps and screams. In addition, pressing the Gate Time button will allow the gate time to be sequenced as the ribbon controller keyboard is played.

Classic Analog Components – VCO, LFO, VCA

The VCO offers a choice between sawtooth, triangle and square wave. White noise can mixed in to the oscillator signal in any amount. The Octave selector covers a broad range, from deep bass to piercing lead-lines. Three EG (Envelope Generator) presets provide the VCA with impressive versatility and dexterity. The LFO can be patched to the VCO and/or the VCF, creating impressive dynamic effects. The Range switch allows the LFO to deliver stirring cyclic changes over tens of seconds (SLOW) or superfast (FAST) audio-range FM ringing. Switching the LFO Mode to the 1-shot setting allows the LFO behave as a second envelope generator – a truly powerful addition!

Vintage MS-10/MS-20 Filter

The monotribe features the same VCF circuit found on Korg’s classic MS-10 and MS-20 analog semi-patchable synthesizers. Distinctively analog, this sharp and powerful filter adds dramatic change to the sound, imparting the uniquely memorable character of Korg’s early analog synthesizers. Using the audio input, any audio source can be enhanced by passing through the filter section. Process an instrument, a voice, or a complete mix form CD or MP3 and create larger than life filter effects!

Sync Jacks: A Return To Modular

The monotribe provides both Sync In and Sync Out jacks, empowering multiple monotribe units to play and work together for a synchronized performance. Not just other monotribes, either. Audio line level pulses can trigger the Sync Input so the monotribe can be synchronized to a DAW system, for example. In addition, the polarity of the pulse waveform can be changed for both the input and output, so you can enjoy synchronized performance with a variety of equipment equipped with Sync connections.

On-The-Go Groove Making

Light, compact, and portable, monotribe is great on the go. Equipped with a built-in speaker and powered by six AA batteries, it is completely self-contained and ready to deliver hours of enjoyment wherever you take it.

The monotribe Analog Ribbon Station – bringing responsive realtime control to analog groove making.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 am

sqweebking wrote:Looks like a few more details are out now..
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... e-details/
Surely posting the link removes the need to post the link's contents? ;)

Anyways, I know they all do it, but PR wank like this just makes me want to barf:
The monotribe’s sound engine uses technology old and new, merging the powerful sound of analog synthesis with the dexterity and playability required in today’s groove making environments. Analog technology is essential for fast and responsive control, and delivers the full sonic spectrum from warm and easy-going to full-throttle rampage.

We're talking about a single oscillator thing with a filter and some blip drums, not an Andromeda :facepalm:
Do you even post on vse bro?

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:46 am

The PR guy who wrote that probably gets paid by the word LOL. Also thank Aqua-Buddha we aren't talking about an Andromeda, because I couldn't afford it. At least I know if I talk myself into getting a Monotribe I won't end up in debtors prison.

edit -

I posted on Gearslutz about being excited by Monotribes audio-rate FM mode for the LFO, and now I'm locked in a "debate" with some kid who insists theres no difference between "analog FM synthesis" and sub-audio rate LFO modulation. Holy f**k, now I know why people here s**t on Gearslutz all the time.
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 am

Surely posting the link removes the need to post the link's contents?

Post BOTH. I'm surfing VSE and would like to stay on VSE.
Link to the source for validity and to give credit to the original supplier of the information...web hits, tracking, impressions etc...

It'd be nice if this does one cool ( different) thing and starts a whole new genre.
It'll sell for peanuts now, but wait a few years and...

Someone is going to glue two of these together.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:29 am

this is wat the tribe needs:

polardark

Post by polardark » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 am

Wish it had a separate drum output though.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:51 am

polardark wrote:Wish it had a separate drum output though.
I bet there is a hack posted for this within the first week of it's release...

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 am

discuss

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 am

Sounds OK. Funny that they used 2 of them for a demo though, doesn't 1 on it's own cut it ?
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:37 am

Psy_Free wrote:Sounds OK. Funny that they used 2 of them for a demo though, doesn't 1 on it's own cut it ?
I actually think the demo with just 1 tribe is way catchier than the 2x demo. I'm still sold on the tron/tribe combo, especially with a CV mod to sync the tron's LFO. If the drums aren't editable I don't see how having 2 drum tracks is beneficial (edit - seems as if they might be using it to do drum hits with 2 different velocities in the video). Speaking of which I'm upset the demo doesn't show any drum programming, it's still up in the air whether or not they can be pitched at all.

By the way the product page is back up - here's some more PR-speak that I thought was interesting
In a world seemingly ruled by digital, Korg created an analog sensation with the palm-sized monotron Analogue Ribbon Synthesizer. Korg has once again raised the analog banner with the amazing monotribe Analog Ribbon Station; a new form of synthesizer that packs an amazing array of features and technology into its compact body.
Korg has once again raised the analog banner, hmm...
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:44 am

You know what?

Korg have been making some pretty funky s**t in the past couple of years...

Needless to say this is getting bought...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:07 am

Drums sound good in a 606 kind of way. Interesting that the octave select switch is recorded by the sequencer, that and the different quantisation options of the ribbon confirm the pitch tracking is digital. I wonder exactly how they're doing it?

Also wondering about price, guess we'll know soon though.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 am

Hmmm, just worked out how to get a 16 step sequence out of two of these with an A-160 and an A-151. :thumbleft:

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:57 am

Sold after the first video demo. Thing looks and sounds like a blast.