Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by tekkentool » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:43 am

Zamise wrote:Assholes anyway and I don't even care what you guys are arguing about in this thread. Sometimes you got to be the bigger person, and just let it go, otherwise asshole.
+1, thread was 8/9 pages long. Got locked, moving on please....

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:49 am

s**t its April 2nd now, I'm an asshole too :roll:
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

polardark

Post by polardark » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:33 am

smoothcriminal wrote: Image

Looks like a combination between little monotron knobs and larger, high quality knobs and cool switches....
Well, to me it looks like, rather than having different-sized knobs, they haven't finished putting all the knobs on the mountings yet.

Looking at how closely spaced the controls are, and considering that Korg recently haven't made a lot of musical instruments with a lot of densely packed controls all over the place this suggests that what we see is a significant part of the device. The knob design (as well as the switches) appears to be the same as on the microKorg XL but spaced at closer intervals. Perhaps this device is electribe-sized or smaller?

This would be one h**l of a way to rejuvenate the Electribe brand.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:04 pm

The description of the product for the trademark name does not have to be correct to reserve the name. Moog has been using the murf description lately on products before they are released. Keeping it secret or it doesn't matter so why bother, who knows.

From the picture and the words across it, it is real analog, but monotron size format. More features and a sequencer rather than a ribbon. Looks like there are some onboard effects as I can read flang.

I am guessing one track, monophonic, same in/outs as the monotron (hopefully not), $100-$120 or if they add audio and midi ins/outs $140-$180.

Is korg testing the analog waters some more & polishing their analog design and production with hopes of somethig bigger? Or, are they trying to convince the ignorant consumer analog is something to be found in toys and not a feature found in the "professional" gear sold at guitar center and the like?

It looks like a lot of fun!
Last edited by Sir Nose on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:05 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:bitching about old news
This is a public final warning, I can promise you that much.

Now resist the urge to respond to this and instead talk only about the topic at hand.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:14 pm

If it isn't one of these, I'll be very disappointed:

polardark

Post by polardark » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Sir Nose wrote:I am guessing one track, monophonic, same in/outs as the monotron (hopefully not), $100-$120 or if they add audio and midi ins/outs $140-$180.
I don't think this will be very cheap at all. With proper knobs and switches they've increased production costs quite a bit. Korg is going to expect their profit margins per unit to scale accordingly.

If it has any digital connectivity, my guess would be USB-MIDI since it's cheaper than dealing with the mechanical and electric charactersitics of old midi. Besides - It's not like computers come with midi ports anymore.
Sir Nose wrote:It looks like a lot of fun!
h**l yea :D

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 pm

polardark wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:I am guessing one track, monophonic, same in/outs as the monotron (hopefully not), $100-$120 or if they add audio and midi ins/outs $140-$180.
I don't think this will be very cheap at all. With proper knobs and switches they've increased production costs quite a bit. Korg is going to expect their profit margins per unit to scale accordingly.
I agree that if our speculation is accurate then this product will be more in the $500+ range.
polardark wrote: If it has any digital connectivity, my guess would be USB-MIDI since it's cheaper than dealing with the mechanical and electric charactersitics of old midi. Besides - It's not like computers come with midi ports anymore.
if there is a sequencer then that means (most likely) a microcontroller. that will definitely add cost. but that also means MIDI or USB connectivity.

i would hope it still has an actual MIDI port. while MIDI is definitely an aging tech it is still the only way to connect two instruments together without getting a computer involved. as someone who tries to minimize computer usage in the studio, i find it offensive that manufacturers just assume that everyone is using a computer these days in the studio.

polardark

Post by polardark » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:39 pm

StepLogik wrote:if there is a sequencer then that means (most likely) a microcontroller. that will definitely add cost. but that also means MIDI or USB connectivity.
Many microcontrollers have built-in USB interfacing these days. Adding USB-MIDI support would be fairly inexpensive.
StepLogik wrote:i would hope it still has an actual MIDI port. While MIDI is definitely an aging tech it is still the only way to connect two instruments together without getting a computer involved. as someone who tries to minimize computer usage in the studio, i find it offensive that manufacturers just assume that everyone is using a computer these days in the studio.
You've probably noticed how hardly much gear anymore has a thru port? I'd call that a sign of the times. If i didn't have my old Kawai MAV-8 MIDI patchbay I'd be lost these days. (Now if only someone would just get around to manufacturing a USB-MIDI patchbay.)

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Just by the name, and info here
http://www.trademarkia.com/monotribe-85172421.html

I think its going to be a new electribe, with one track dedicated to analog, prob same arc /sound as monotron. Price range $400-$700. (Like any Korg product thats not flagship)

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:29 pm

I wonder if Korg will deem it worth it to add the CV/gate jacks people have been hacking onto their Monotrons, or if they'll reason that the expanded interface renders them unnecessary.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:50 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:th0mas
Hi

f**k you

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Well, color me interested.

It looks like they saw what doepfer is doing w/ the DE+DT and so Korg's putting bits of each "together" in one box, for a larger general "analog-interested" and vintage-hyped market, in order to sell in the big-box retailers like GC and MF, Sweetwater etc.
How much is MS-series related I will be interested to learn; I vaguely remember hearing about Korg hiring some fresh analog designers, too. But I may be off.
polardark wrote: The knob design (as well as the switches) appears to be the same as on the microKorg XL but spaced at closer intervals.
I'd sure hope it's not the same materials as uKorg XL, too :|

The XL is kind of a piece of junk in comparison; what with that silly moulding.
hopefully the Electribes will STAY in STEEL ENCASING like the X models, and not plastic yucky-cheapniss like the microSampler/uKorg XL/x50/ps60 etc It's endemic of all the sub-$1000 Korg keyboards today which is a shame: the plastic is thinner and lighter than most any other keyboards made.
I could stomach something more along the lines of the SV-1's build and design, even despite the faux-classic Moogness. But that would also push the price up.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Cool! I see Korg is getting back in to the analog game... I wouldan't be surprised if this is an analog drum machine/tb-303 type machine seeing as how DSI just came out with the tempest, I could see korg trying to compete. We all know that korg knows how to make analog synths(ms-20/10). The next thing I'd like to see from them is an analog monophonic lead synth. Korg can do it! :)
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Could we have a successor to the ER-1 with some analog in, please?!
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop