Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by megamanx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:29 am

more pics at synthopia

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:32 am

I'm wondering if they got the feature list from Korg's website (the Monotribe page was up and then taken down today) and if so whether "Toggle synthesizer matrix" implies that the toggle controls (LFO/EG) are only used for the synth part and not the drum parts.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 am

tekkentool wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:Wonder what that 'Flux' button does...?
When you set the sequencer to 88 Bpm......
ha, good one.

far as not including midi & just an 8 step sequencer, yeah that sucks, but also yeah it's less expense. most likely with having released the monotron and now the monotribe this won't be the end of the product line.

mute

Post by mute » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:58 am

If you compare the image to the monotron's ribbon and labeling, it appears to be a very-close to real size picture...

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:18 am

space6oy wrote: far as not including midi & just an 8 step sequencer, yeah that sucks, but also yeah it's less expense.
Could it be 16 steps though. You might be able to toggle to steps 9-16 somehow. Assuming you would need to toggle in this way to sequence the drum parts, it would make sense.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:22 am

Making this thing sync to midi will be super easy with a microprocessor assuming that sync input is like a clock or step trigger

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 am

megamanx wrote:more pics at synthopia

Man, I want this way too badly considering it would be totally useless in my current setup and I don't even like 1-osc monos. I need to see a demo, I need to know the pricetag... damn you korg!!!!!! :evil:

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:08 am

Despite everyone saying it was impossible in the other thread, I'm gonna go ahead and hazard a guess that it will be less than $400. Alot less.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 am

It had better be a lot less than $400, or else people will just spend another $100 and get something way better. s**t, you could probably get a Sequential Six Trak for $400.

It's a $60 monotron with a basic sequencer and some drum circuits, I'm praying I can get a monotribe/monotron combo for under $200. (Wishful thinking just like all of my posts ITT)

If it's not impressively cheap, it will probably be priced in the range of the MiniKP since it seems to target the same market (DJ wannabes such as myself). $250?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 am

cartesia wrote:Despite everyone saying it was impossible in the other thread, I'm gonna go ahead and hazard a guess that it will be less than $400. Alot less.
People were saying that a two-osc synth that stays in tune and has proper EGs etc was impossible for that price. This is just a monotron with a sequencer and uneditable drums and I imagine will be priced accordingly. Funny how some people think that the panel controls will be reassigned when you press the drum buttons. :lol:
smoothcriminal wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:fully functional analog for less than $200.
Stab Frenzy wrote:$200 6 voice analogue drum machine with analogue monosynth and sequencer
I don't find your speculation about the Monotribe's price and featureset to be plausible. With those features it would have to be around $1000 (ex: PolyEvolver Rack?) and that doesn't fit with the "MonotronXL" branding. I think it's more likely that the drum machine and monosynth will be companion products in order to keep prices down.
I love that you don't even realise when people are taking the piss out of you. :D

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I love that you don't even realise when people are taking the piss out of you. :D
Correct, you were making up a strawman in order to s**t on opinions that contradict your own beliefs. I chose to ignore that fact and take your posts at face value, because I'd rather not get into another flame war and have another potentially entertaining thread locked because you can't handle civil debate. You scored whatever point you were trying to make, so couldn't you drop it?

RD9

Post by RD9 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:43 am

Arrgh! Those bastards are still holding out on my ADSR!! lol

You know what no ADSR means though... it's probably positioning just like the EMX to provide an underfeatured synth section so that you buy the more fully featured synth model with ADSR in the future. Just enough difference between different models so that you keep buying. That's how they suckered me with the EMX-->Radias combo punch. Grrr...

I want one already.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:48 am

Sweet, F*ck the need for midi. Sync in is good enough for me, you can do cooler stuff with a patterned pulse anyway. Can't wait for this.

Also just realized the possibilities of modding the sequencer to cv out, this is going to be boss
Last edited by adhmzaiusz on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
‹‡›

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:51 am

RD9 wrote:You know what no ADSR means though... it's probably positioning just like the EMX to provide an underfeatured synth section so that you buy the more fully featured synth model with ADSR in the future.
The question is... give in to how fun this thing looks, or wait it out for another year for the inevitable pro-sumer model. There are a dozen little details that could make or break this one. If there is some workflow for seamlessly composing and switching to new sequences (come on, its supposed to be a "groovebox"), if there is some way to input 16th notes through retriggering or something, it could be hard to resist. If not, it's a more awesome, more expensive monotron, take it or leave it.

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:05 am

By the size of it and the fact that there is a 'Synth' button next to the drum buttons, makes me think that there are 4 monotrons inside. Which ever button you have lit at the time is what the interface is controlling. If that is true then there should be a huge range of possibilities for this thing.

Edit: I will be buying one of these as soon as they're available..