Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
RD9

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by RD9 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 am

smoothcriminal wrote:
RD9 wrote:You know what no ADSR means though... it's probably positioning just like the EMX to provide an underfeatured synth section so that you buy the more fully featured synth model with ADSR in the future.
The question is... give in to how fun this thing looks, or wait it out for another year for the inevitable pro-sumer model. There are a dozen little details that could make or break this one. If there is some workflow for seamlessly composing and switching to new sequences, if there is some way to input 16th notes through retriggering or something, it could be hard to resist. If not, it's a more awesome, more expensive monotron, take it or leave it.
Totally give in man! This looks like a fun little beast. A good excuse to loosen up and explore and make noises and mini grooves and even mod if that's your thing (as long as it makes the $200-225 cut). I've kind of already gotten over its limitations in the last 10 minutes. Hahaha. Just run it through a few pedals via the 1/4 out and you're golden. Just think... even just delay, reverb, + 1 more pedal and this badboy will sing. The ribbon controller is the only real waste.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:14 am

sqweebking wrote:By the size of it and the fact that there is a 'Synth' button next to the drum buttons, makes me think that there are 4 monotrons inside. Which ever button you have lit at the time is what the interface is controlling.
More like 2.5 Monotrons IMHO

...yeah, I know LOL. But seriously, I can't think of any reason for them to label the different voices "BD" "SD" etc if they are all fully editable monotron voices. I think it's more likely they are hardwired analog circuits with at most pitch/range and filter control when they are selected like you say. If you can't control them with the front panel, that will be a really key mod.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:21 am

sqweebking wrote:By the size of it and the fact that there is a 'Synth' button next to the drum buttons, makes me think that there are 4 monotrons inside.
I seriously doubt it. I think it's one Monotron and 3 static drum samples.
First, editing multiple voices with the same set of controls would mean some sort of digital scanning system on the knobs, plus memory for each voice. This thing is still a toy by the looks and it won't have that.
Second, the "Rhythm" knob in the upper right corner looks like it will be a volume control for the 3 drum sounds all at once.
Oh, also, there is no pitch knob at all, only an octave select switch. If they were serious about synthesizing drum sounds a pitch control would be absolutely necessary.
Last edited by soundxplorer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:23 am

I was hoping "rhythm" would be a swing control, based on it being near "tempo."
soundxplorer wrote:Oh, also, there is no pitch knob at all, only an octave select switch. If they were serious about synthesizing drum sounds a pitch control would be absolutely necessary.
I find your speculation very convincing (except for the drums being samples), but isn't it possible the ribbon is used as a pitch control and the "range" toggle controls how far the pitch can be swept?

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:59 am

smoothcriminal wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I love that you don't even realise when people are taking the piss out of you. :D
Correct, you were making up a strawman in order to s**t on opinions that contradict your own beliefs. I chose to ignore that fact and take your posts at face value, because I'd rather not get into another flame war and have another potentially entertaining thread locked because you can't handle civil debate. You scored whatever point you were trying to make, so couldn't you drop it?

As someone who has been trying to figure out what your deal is, because I can appreciate your enthusiasm for a cheap synth, I feel the [probably regretful] need to tell you you are acting like a 12 year old....between your obsession with cost, and partially by your remarkable inability to actually understand what any one has said to you when sincerely responding to your questions, I am starting to think you may be 12...

Here's the deal, this is a forum of passionate and INCREDIBLY KNOWLEDGEABLE FOLKS. When I read through that last thread, and while there are some humorous jabs thrown, I would say that everyone was trying to sincerely reply to your questions. Maybe try and recognize what people are saying to you and not turn it into a hissy fit...most of the initial reactions to the last thread you keep bringing up, is because you posted something saying that synth manufactures were gouging on prices...to which many people tried many different approaches to reply to that...

to the topic at hand, this thing looks fun. Go get one when you can. It sounds like something you will thoroughly enjoy. I am sure a lot of amazing music will in fact be made with it. I may get one, but it feels a bit novelty to me right now, but I am happy to see Korg prototyping analog synths again.

All I am trying to say is chill out. Tallow and Stab Frenzy, and Th0mas and the rest you feel personally wronged by are all stand up guys...Tallow and Stab f**k their time to this place...Go get the synth, have some fun with the synth. Convince me I need it, though that may be a hard one, and please try to not rip into the people that I, and a lot of other folks, respect and value the opinions of around here...

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 am

hyphen nation wrote: you posted something saying that synth manufactures were gouging on prices
I'm barred from talking about that thread, so I can't go into any detail about what you just wrote, but I believe I have the right, out of a minimal standard for decency and intellectual honesty, to inform you and anyone else who cares that I never said anything like that.

Your point about chilling out is well received. I've never been one to let insults slide, so maybe that's a character flaw I should work on.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 am

no midi? :(
w00t

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:33 am

smoothcriminal wrote:
hyphen nation wrote: you posted something saying that synth manufactures were gouging on prices
I'm barred from talking about that thread, so I can't go into any detail about what you just wrote, but I believe I have the right, out of a minimal standard for decency and intellectual honesty, to inform you and anyone else who cares that I never said anything like that.

Your point about chilling out is well received. I've never been one to let insults slide, so maybe that's a character flaw I should work on.
Sounds good. Wasn't trying to malign...topic over..it is now the thread that shall not be named... :)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 am

I don't know. There is still the lingering [bad] feelings about the other thread. And I don't know how there's a ten page thread about this very kind of product and no one must speak about..ya...know...that thing.
One side wants to count victory- KORG MADE AN ANALOGUE SYNTH FOR UNDER $200!!!!!!!
So does the other - it's NOT the Synth everyone was debating they could/should/would make.

I did say in the other thread:
KORG will build your analogue synth, but it won't have those extra bells and whistles that every SERIOUS SYNTH-GOD MUST HAVE. And so, when they make it- this forum (and probably you) will be saying that you'd get it, if it only did QRSTUV. So instead you bought one of the other 8-million synths on the market.

I stand behind that. I've also said they made additions in small steps like the Kaoss line. How many Kaoss products or products that feature Kaoss technology did they release before making the Kaoss Pro? How many years passed while we waited?

I like this piece. For all the heads who like to do more with less (a very Japanese way of thinking) this is perfect.
This is also no competition or alternative to the many mono-synths being named as reasons KORG won't do a proper analogue. I don't find this surprising or out of the blue or even out of the ordinary.

I do say it's a quick turnaround. And that might be promising -- > it might not take years for this concept to be fully realized. I DON'T like the name MonoTribe. I hope it doesn't mean the electribe brand is pushed further to the back burner. <-- unless there's a Poly-Tribe coming and then, well, save your pennies.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:41 am

No one has asked the obvious question: How many hours after these first hit the stores will we see the first "How do I make a piano sound on my Monotribe?'" post hit forums like this?
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 am

I'm interested in hearing what it sounds like, if the drums sound like a CR-78/Minipops kind of thing I think I may have to pick one of these up.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is the lack of a knob for tuning the VCO. The Monotron VCO isn't stable enough by itself to just need the octave selector switch, so if this is planning on playing with other synths there needs to be some kind of tune knob...

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:51 am

I apologize to Stab for overreacting to your jabs. I was not intending to come at you *personally* but I see how it could be interpreted that way, and I hope theres no bad feelings.

edit have the last word, go ahead. a couple more digs at me for the road. the topic is over as far as i'm concerned. i'm more interested in discussing the future rather than the past, as my incredibly numerous and long-winded on-topic posts in this thread imply.
griffin avid wrote:I stand behind that. I've also said they made additions in small steps like the Kaoss line. How many Kaoss products or products that feature Kaoss technology did they release before making the Kaoss Pro? How many years passed while we waited?
Perfect analogy. As I said earlier, this is probably equivalent to the MiniKP. I'm planning on enjoying this if I have some disposable income when it drops, and looking forward to the "Monotribe Pro" if Korg is good enough to produce it in a year or two. I think what they are doing is building a market by introducing entry-level consumers to VCO/VCF character with minimal investment, so that synth novices will have a basis for comparison when the "Pro" drops and they are comparing it's limited specs to digital products in the same price range with more features. How many non-pro synthesists have heard a VCO in person, really? Very few have the disposable income for a Moog, and even fewer have the patience to troll the vintage market for years on end in order to find a bargain-basement Sequential/Kawai/Akai/etc.
tim gueguen wrote:No one has asked the obvious question: How many hours after these first hit the stores will we see the first "How do I make a piano sound on my Monotribe?'" post hit forums like this?
You mean "how do I make a dubstep wobble on my Monotribe?"
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:56 am

To everybody:

For the record nobody is barred from talking about anything, don't try and act all indignant like you've been wronged in some way.

The other topic was locked because of the behaviour of certain people in the thread, continually harping on and on about the same points when others had repeatedly tried very hard and patiently to explain the realities of the cost of making analogue instruments and how supply and demand effects the retail cost of a product.

Talking about particular topics doesn't get threads locked, acting like some kind of spoiled child in them does. Don't do it and you'll be fine.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 am

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is the lack of a knob for tuning the VCO. The Monotron VCO isn't stable enough by itself to just need the octave selector switch, so if this is planning on playing with other synths there needs to be some kind of tune knob...
I'm guessing they've put in the extra few parts that they didn't feel were necessary in the original Monotron in order to make the VCO more stable.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:43 am

But even really well designed, expensive, stable VCOs go out of tune eventually. Maybe it's a trimpot on the bottom of the case or something.