Anyone remember Music Technology magazine?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Anyone remember Music Technology magazine?

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:14 am

A.K.A. MT magazine. Great interviews. I have a few old issues... anyone have any?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Anyone remember Music Technology magazine?

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:22 am

madtheory wrote:A.K.A. MT magazine. Great interviews. I have a few old issues... anyone have any?

uhhh, isn't it still around? would swear i was flipping thru their 'guide to Logic 9" at the store an hour ago...

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 am

Love the older issues of "The Music Technology Magazine" ... which, thankfully, quickly dropped the "The" and "Magazine" parts :)

There was just so much tech info packed into those mags.

One of my favs is the September 86 (Volume 1, #2) issue and I still remember opening it for the first time (a long time after it was published) because the reviews were for every synth that I was drooling over at the time - Oberheim Matrix 6R, Ensoniq ESQ-1, and E-mu EMAX sampler. Also a great article on the Fairlight III and PPG Realizer.

And the November 1987 issue is also a fav because it featured the "new" Twelve Tone Systems Cakewalk sequencer. :D - I was using an Apple IIe w/Passport Master Tracks Pro at home for the longest time (and then later on a Mac IIci w/Performer)e, but was a PC/Cakewalk user at work. Good times... good times....

What issue were you reading?
d**k Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:09 am

Ashe- there was an older magazine that was entirely different in its scope, much more advanced than the current one. In fact I don't think the current one had anything to do with it at all. Entirely different staff of writers, many of them such as Gordon Reid, write for Sound On Sound now.

RetrosynthAds- I can see why you'd remember it! I was reading the one with Yello and LFO, from 1991 I think, great for synth nerds :). And the one with Rain Tree Crow/ David Sylvian to get some info on that classic album for a series of classes I'm doing on recording. Recorded entirely on the Mitsubishi X-850 , a digital machine, and [sarcasm]despite that[/sarcasm] it sounds superb.

Then went looking for The Orb one, but I no longer have it. It's on ebay though!

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:45 am

I remember it well, buying them back in the 80's and early 90's and still have about a dozen of them. Did MT used to be Electronics & Music Maker previously? Got three of those from 1984 and 1985 featuring New Order, TFF & Cabaret Voltaire.

Got issues 83 to 91 (excluding 90) of MT magazine from 1993 and 1994, this includes the Nov 1993 edition featuring The Orb. Would love to have all the MT magazines, that Yello one in particular !! Want to trade? ;)

Got quite a few SOS mags from 1987 & 88 too. They're my usual reads when on the throne... :)

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:21 am

I've a fair number of them still, and even old E+MM (Electronic and music maker). The readers ad's make me want to cry...... Jupiter 8 for £625, SH101 for £100, and JX8P and DX7 for £800. All these ads in the same issue.
Even a full two page ad with the "Special offer to readers. The amazing Elka Synthex for only £999".... same issue has an Oberheim Matrix 6 ad for £1,750.
Them were the days.....

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:27 am

Ya the prices are funny.
JMP wrote:Would love to have all the MT magazines, that Yello one in particular !! Want to trade? ;)
Ya, I'll scan em...

50quidsoundboy

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:34 am

yes! i remember the first issue of MT i bought in 1995, because the cover had a massive picture of Jean-Michel Jarre (avec laser harp) with the hilarious headline THE GODFATHER OF TECHNO, which is just ridiculous but I thought it was pretty cool at the time. unlike Sound on Sound or even Future Music, it seemed to have more of an exclusive focus on electronic music which obviously isn't remarkable now in the present era of cracked softstudios, breakbeats in car adverts and ten thousand globally ubiquitous sub-varieties of house music, but was probably a more risky commercial publishing proposition in 1995. i'm pretty sure the current magazine of the same name has no connection to the nineties incarnation. in fact i think sites such as VSE are more the true heir to that classic style of nerdly synth/electronic music production journalism than any of the bollocks available on newsstands now. honestly, how many wobble bass tutorials do people need?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:50 am

I used to have loads of old mags and they all got flood damaged and went in the bin, sadly. I had that Orb one, amongst others. I think I remember Home Recording as well, and I still have lots of mid-90s Future Music and The Mix.

I started buying them around 20 years ago when I was looking for my first real keyboard - I remember sitting in the staff room at B&Q staring at pictures of the JD-800, wishing I could afford it...

Out of interest, I would like to obtain a few old SOS if anybody's willing to part with them. Though perhaps not if they've been read on the lav.

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:34 pm

JMP wrote: Did MT used to be Electronics & Music Maker previously?
Definitely connected - but oddly, never made the connection until you asked this.

Pulled an issue of EMM off the shelf (April 86 - Belouis Some) and below the E&MM logo on the cover is "Electronics & Music Maker/The Music Technology Magazine".

So, looked through some older issues of MT for links to EMM and noticed a couple of things.

Publisher is listed as Music Maker Publications for both mags. And, in that September 86 issue I referenced earlier, in the section written by the Editor/Publisher (doesn't actually say who), the writer responds to the question "Can Music Technology keep it up?". The reply:

"Why are we so confident? Well, the main reason is that although Music Technology is a new name Stateside, the sister company of the corporation that owns it has been publishing music magazines for over five years."
d**k Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com

Userfriend

Post by Userfriend » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:41 pm

I have several of them from 1987-94. I especially remember the Jean Michel Jarre competition in Nov 88 that I took part in. You could win Jarres RMI KCII that he used in Oxygene and Equinoxe! Amazing. A guy in Worcestershire won it.

I´m still looking for older articels and reviews from MT, Keyboard, SOS and Electronic Musician.
Last edited by Userfriend on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:50 pm

I have a few old MT magazines that I bought from ebay, mostly to see reviews of the old synths I worshiped at the time (D50, M1 era) and see how they were viewed at the time. There was also a few articles and interviews about the burgeoning acid house house scene that I really enjoyed.

Not sure what issues I have as I'm not sitting at home at the mo, but I'd be very happy to scan if anyone wanted something in particular. A few synth reviews I can rember off hand were

M1 D20 YS200 SR16 TG33 SY77 JV80 HR16 etc, that kind of era

Also would love it if anybody could scan the MT D50 review (I was outbid on that issue a few times!!!) or any pre 1993 SOS reviews too.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:12 pm

madtheory wrote:Ya the prices are funny.
JMP wrote:Would love to have all the MT magazines, that Yello one in particular !! Want to trade? ;)
Ya, I'll scan em...
...and I'll get myself a scanner so I can reciprocate. Cheers.

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 pm

It was the best mag in Europe only equal to Keyboard in US.
I have some of them, the other I miss to buy a lot of MIT and Keyboard for 20 €
Here in Portugal some guys edited a mag with the same name (MIT) tuned to our reality,
of course that I have all the numbers.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 am

Someone, somewhere, has the original Quark layout files for these magazines. They should pay an intern to convert them to pdf over the summer and sell them online.

I know that Sound On Sound magazine intend to do that at some stage but it's not economical. In the meantime, they don't actually have an archived print copy of every issue.
JMP wrote:...and I'll get myself a scanner so I can reciprocate. Cheers.
Super!