Waldorf Q problems? rare or universal?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Waldorf Q problems? rare or universal?

Post by gridsleep » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:32 pm

I've been reading here and there about people having problems with their Waldorf Q or Q Phoenix, and some inferrence that it was never finished as a design. Is this only a few bad apples or are their known problems with all Qs that will probably never be fixed? There is a yellow Q Rack on eBay right now with a (so far) silly low bid level. Is it worth bothering? Would the benefits of having a Q outweigh potential problems?

(PS--I searched for "waldorf q problems" ahead of time and got a lot of discussion about everything else but...)
"We called ourselves The Farts and couldn't get a venue. Now that we're Colonic Vapor we have a label and everyone wants to book us."

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Waldorf Q problems? rare or universal?

Post by Alex E » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:09 pm

I've personally never heard of any major issues with the Q aside from encoders that need to be cleaned or worked about until they're working properly.
soundcloud.com/vectron

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by gridsleep » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Ah. I was reading through another thread and someone implied there is a problem with the sequencer, that maybe it was never fully implemented, and also some of the controls were touchy. I already have uQ and uWaveXT, so I'm debating on getting a Q, if it doesn't actually have any notorious problems. Maybe it's just the keyboard, because (I think--I'll need to check) the rack model doesn't have the sequencer. Or does it?
"We called ourselves The Farts and couldn't get a venue. Now that we're Colonic Vapor we have a label and everyone wants to book us."

Helix

Post by Helix » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Hey!
I'm using a yellow Q and has done so for the last six years. I've never had a problem where it crashes as far as I can remember. And I can remember that my Virus Indigo has crashed atleast three times during normal use.

But I haven't used the onboard sequencer alot. I use it as my main keyboard along with a DAW or MPC4000. The knobs need to get turned every now and then otherwise they start jumping between values. Although that's only a problem when you haven't used it for a couple of months.
XTk 30v, Q, Voyager RME, Indigo, Polymorph, Braintech Transistorbass 3

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Had a Sahara Q keyboard for many years and after the final OS update the only annoying problems I had were related to the Q cards. It's a great VA and I do miss it!

The Encoders and buttons had some issues but they worked and never completely failed.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

splitpoint

Post by splitpoint » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:07 am

I've had a blue Q for a couple of years now. No issues here.
Waveframe 1000, Wavestation, OBMX, EIII, Red Square, esq1, and others...

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by gridsleep » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:24 am

Excellent. Thank you, everyone. Now, it's just a matter of money. Let's see... who's ripe for a con...?

Mino
Gear: Waldorf Q & XT & Streichfett
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Post by Mino » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:49 pm

I have the regular Q Phoenix (32 voice), 3.02 OS, filter numbers were printed wrong (not a fatal issue anyway) :lol: Some people say pannings maybe reversed when boot up, I should check it when I connect it in surround (and with proper speakers :lol: ). stereo reversal is not an issue (I didn't have this problem on stereo)

Q is worth it I think, I didn't use the sequencer deeply yet , I use it for its sound and modulation matrix mostly. It has 12 bit wavetables instead of 8 bit on MW series plus it has suboscs on waves). It has serious capabilities, if you go deep on it.

Pheonix Q+'s had problems on filters going crazy etc, but it's better to email them about the latest situation. I couldn't get one due to problems last year (july 2010) I was bummed at first :cry: (analog filters and 60+ polyphony) though I can get X-Pole when budget is suited (same filter on Q+)

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by gridsleep » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks for the further info, Mino. My main concern is the glowing but cautionary reviews in SOS (who, despite some opinions here, I trust nearly implicitly.) I would very much like to have that Q rack. I'd also like to have a Schmidt Polysynth. I'd also like a chromium unicorn that shoots lasers out of its eyes. I think, somewhere between the Q and the Polysynth, I'd settle for a Vermona PerFourMer MkII. That should sound delicious hooked up to my Cyber-6.

Later: Actually, on second thought, I am going to give the Largo a try. If that serves up the saucy sound, I may not need another rackinabox.

Mino
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Post by Mino » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 am

SOS reviews date back to the earlier OS, so don't worry about that.

If you get a Blue Q Rack, you can expand it to 32 voices later. Expansion boards for Blue / Phoenix Q's are still available. Price was was 259 euros here.

If you get Q and Largo both, you can control Largo with Q's knobs (same CC's)

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by gridsleep » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:52 pm

What about the yellow Q rack? There's a difference?

Mino
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Post by Mino » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 am

They have early revision boards, and old boards are not made anymore, you have to find an expanded yellow one or from a XT/k.