Alesis SR 18...is it worth it for Electro?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Alesis SR 18...is it worth it for Electro?

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:20 pm

I read that SOS article after it came out. The guy makes a HUGE, glaring error: if you write your settings as it says in the manual, the XR20 doesn't reset everytime you turn it off.

Since you're now leaning towards software, but seem to want a hardware interface, I would suggest saving up and getting Maschine. I looked at getting either the Beat Kangz software or BPM and a controller, but ultimately went with Maschine for a number of reasons, but mainly because the controller and the software are already integrated. The downside of any of these programs is that there are no demo versions available for any of them. You'll have to scour their sites and You Tube for videos showing you their upsides and downsides.

Frankly, if you get a controller of some sort, you could go with virtually any software program and load the samples you want into it, but you know this already.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Fri May 06, 2011 1:58 pm

An SR-18 is like an over engineered metronome for guitarists to jam along with. A sampler is the best drum machine for electronic music.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri May 06, 2011 5:18 pm

A sampler is the best drum machine for electronic music.
I like this line of thinking.

Any feedback about that would be welcome. I had good experiences with the Beat Kangz sounds even though they are hip-hop experts, so I think maybe this will work out.

Once you open this direction, you've got tons of options.
MOTU BPM, to me, is the most flexible as it does linear recording, grid (like step) and real time. You can view multiple tracks at once so you can see the relationship between the hits. Beat Thang (BT-1) promises to integrate and separate better from the hardware drum machine (still forthcoming) so it's a notch above Maschine as far as a pairing of soft and hard goes. Just like an XR-20, it's got additional instrument sounds (well a good amount more and varied).

The sound design aspect is modern and top notch, but it does feel a little strange to be looking at my computer screen and still be doing pattern-based recording.

The Fxpansion Geist is a newer entry. Their GURU was a monster beast-beat workstation and Geist is the user-friendly cousin. http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=120

And, and don't forget Arturia has the Spark coming.
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
Wow I see it listed at $599. Says Aluminum Enclosure. I thought it was a plastic case, so that's a plus.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sat May 07, 2011 1:07 am

Wow, it's hard to decide. Then again, it isn't. I don't have 600 dollars to spend. At most I have 300 if I play all my financial cards right and sell off gear. But right now it's more like 150 to 200 and that's it.

If I had 600 lord only knows what I'd buy.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat May 07, 2011 3:16 am

Then, to be honest, you should wait.
Get something serious you can grow with and use (forever?) whenever you have the drum machine urge.
It might be something that comes and goes.

The kind of thing you can put away for a period (not sell) and miss it and then put it back into play.

I mean, the DSI Tempest might make you sell a Kidney.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:46 am

griffin avid wrote:Then, to be honest, you should wait.
Get something serious you can grow with and use (forever?) whenever you have the drum machine urge.

The kind of thing you can put away for a period (not sell) and miss it and then put it back into play.

Seconded.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat May 07, 2011 4:02 pm

griffin avid wrote:Then, to be honest, you should wait.

Wow, so these 10 years I've been using the SR line and I haven't been growing into them? If only somebody would have told me they weren't serious before I recorded some 5 dozen songs with them.

It isn't a house or a marriage, if you want the drum machine, buy it. Is it as flexible as a sampler? No, but when you can tune the drums 12 semitones up and down, apply filters, and have a large amount of ROM sounds to work with, you can create about any traditional drum sound you need. If you push it to its limits and need to get rid of 6 years from now then there you go. Will you get back the money you invested? Doubtful, but by then you will have made back your investment in use.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat May 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Maybe your SR was serious ten years ago.
Just kidding.

Regardless of the wonderful usage you've pulled out of them, those are still cheap little drum machines.
XR-20 included. Yes they do sound good and are effective.

Hey, I've used a Casio with the built in speakers on a tune so it is what it is.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:53 pm

tallowwaters wrote:[Wow, so these 10 years I've been using the SR line and I haven't been growing into them? If only somebody would have told me they weren't serious before I recorded some 5 dozen songs with them.
No, no, no - this is NOT a "one size fits all" answer, Tallow. This is specific to the OP who seems to want more than what he's going to get with any single drum machine. Granted, both the main machines we've discussed here (SR18, XR20) can vary their sounds quite a bit, but that doesn't seem to be what he wants. He seems to want a variety of "straight" sounds, plus other features that he'd probably get easiest by investing in a more expensive software/hardware hybrid. He's on a budget and it would be best for him to buy something he's not going to immediately go, "But this doesn't do this!" and then be unhappy with. By waiting, he'll have more money to buy something that will do more of what he wants it to do.

You think I'd really say anything bad about the XR20? Ha! Griff and I have had long conversations about using that and the SR18 - we're both fans of them. I hope I'm not answering for him, but I think he and I are thinking along the same lines for the OP.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sun May 08, 2011 3:24 am

Actually I'm the type of guy who does like and want to edit drum sounds as well as the patterns. But each of your answers has been helpful in it's own way. Even the quote about glorified metronomes :)

I really just miss being able to jam on my synth over some rhtyhms that I had made away from the rest of my equipment and away from computers. It seems like the best option would be for me to buy a sampler but those are just so expensive for a cheapo like me. I miss the workflow of drum machines overall. But I've got tons of samples in my computer DAW... I guess I just have to get more used to the workflow of programs and build up a library of rhythms that way.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:45 am

Get yourself a controller (Korg padKONTROL, Akai MPD-series) and use that with your DAW. You'll have a lot more fun programming your rhythms that way and you'll have all the power you want/need. It's cheaper, too!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Sun May 08, 2011 6:11 am

griffin avid wrote: 16) If you are ever watching anything and see a synth- you must point it out (excitedly) - even if the person who is there has no knowledge or interest in gear.
I do this to my wife all the time.
We'll be watching whatever show or movie and I'll pause the screen and go "Oh look, they've got a X"...

Even greater was the rant i went on mindlessly when watching That 70s Show over the Korg board I cannot even remember now, but know it wasn't produced until the mid 80s.
w00t

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:59 am

tallowwaters wrote:It isn't a house or a marriage, if you want the drum machine, buy it.
/thread.
hollandturbine wrote:An SR-18 is like an over engineered metronome for guitarists to jam along with. A sampler is the best drum machine for electronic music.
:facepalm:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sun May 08, 2011 2:15 pm

I hope I won't regret it, but I think I'm leaning towards The Beat Thang Virtual. I appreciate everyone's input.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun May 08, 2011 8:50 pm

I have the SR 18 - no complaints but I use it sparingly. Just picked up two Yamaha QY 10s for $75 each. What an interesting little music box/drummer/sequencer... I liked its small size and use it for a basic MIDI controller, sometimes.

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18