Need to be brought up to speed on bassline synthesizers.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
IRL303

Need to be brought up to speed on bassline synthesizers.

Post by IRL303 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:23 pm

I get there was big demand for the TB-303 back in the day. I assume not every one could afford one and not everyone used them who made Acid, Techno, House, Trance etc etc. So my question is what was/is the alternative? What about this xoxbox I'm seeing on Youtube? The ML303? Are there any other bassline machines I can purchase these days?

Any and all Info much appreciated :)

Thanks.
Last edited by IRL303 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Need to be brought up to speed on Bassline synthsizers.

Post by Alex E » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:06 pm

In the 90's, a lot of companies made affordable all-analog rack mounted 303 clones. Many of them didn't really accurately recreate the 303 sound, but they were good in their own right.

x0xb0x is the new hardware clone everyone seems to be using. It's meant to copy all the internal components of the 303 while offering a friendlier user interface. It seems to be a good buy/build and it sounds really damn close. So close that it makes purist synth collectors squirm in their fancy boots.

I don't know much about software clones, but there are some good ones out there.
soundcloud.com/vectron

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Here is an interesting website that has comparisons and rankings of the different 303 clones as well as VST versions:

http://www.acidvoice.com/#best_clones

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:19 pm

If it's House you're after, a Korg MS-20 is all over many tracks, especially French house - yet also a mainstay in more eclectic music such as Aphex Twin, who of course blends that with an awful lot of 303 (or did). I own one of these, and it's capable of some seriously deep bass, but with the addition of the high pass filter it can get quite aggressive too. (As an example, here's a cover I did of Staying Alive - all bass throughout is MS-20)

It's much more flexible than a 303, however I've never heard of any hardware clones. A software clone is however part of the Korg Legacy collection, which may suit your needs.

For trance, that tends to be virtual analogue (VA) synths. Novation Supernova, the KS range, X station are good bets; I own a KS4, and it's easily capable of trance bass and trance pads, but also a helluva lot more. Lots of other VAs will be good at this too, but I'll leave that for others.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Re: Need to be brought up to speed on bassline synthesizers.

Post by Computer Controlled » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:27 pm

What are you looking for? 303 type bass? If so, the x0xb0x is all you need. Otherwise, any synth will do good bass. Its all in the programming.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

IRL303

Post by IRL303 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:44 am

I'd love either or both in an ideal world but the price of them is way outta my reach. I'd like the 303 because you can do nice Chicago type house bassline and I also love the aggressive sound its capable of for much harder trance. I was looking at the xoxbox and I think I'll try one of those out when I have enough money saved. Thanks for your replies guys much appreciated :)
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:21 pm

xoxbox is your best bet.

there are others that are similar and some offer more features. acidlab bassline2, fr revolution come to mind.
but if you're after the 303 sound xoxbox is the closest and imo much easier than the original not to mention cheaper.

for old school house bass you can also look at other roland gear too 101, 202, juno60 as well as yamaha dx synths. but most synths can give you some good bass action, some just need more work.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:08 am

the ensoniq mirage does a great bass sound with almost anything. sample youtube :D
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 pm

no one is mentioning the novation bassStations.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 pm

I was going to, but forgot =o) those are great synths.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:50 am

The mopho keyboard is great - has sub oscs and sounds really aggressive, + lots of room for interesting modulations using the mod wheels and aftertouch. Good value for money too.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)