Synths that store patches through a cassette interface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Re: Synths that store patches through a cassette interface

Post by vcs3 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Cruma Bit One, JX-3P

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu May 05, 2011 7:20 pm

The so-called Shoebox Cassette Recorders that worked best for data storage seem to still be available:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... sette.html

Make sure they have line in recording as some will only record with the internal mic.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu May 05, 2011 7:21 pm

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 05, 2011 7:47 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Funny, isn't it - back in the 80s we regularly entrusted our data to tape, and it went wrong fairly often
That's because back then PCs cost as much or more than the synths themselves. Tape ports were on most programmable synths until the very late 80s. I remember being disappointed that the Korg M1 had no tape port and no floppy drive. That meant data backup was impossible unless you had other hardware (computer, sequencer, data filer) that could read sys-ex dumps and save them to tape or floppy.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu May 05, 2011 8:17 pm

The OB-series; OB-X, OB-Xa and OB-8 had a built-in cassette interface if I'm not mistaken.
You could save and load patches with the OB-1 also, but in this case you needed a special
cassette interface box (external). From what I understand though very few of those devices
were made. The interface apparently worked with the old Four and Eight voice polyphonics too.

Here's pic of a Four voice with this rare cassette interface:
http://www.synthfind.com/wp-content/upl ... /fvs11.jpg
Last edited by Micke on Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 pm

PCs weren't even very affordable well into the 90s. Hence the popularity of the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga. I remember selling the then-new Pentium machines when Win95 was a novelty, with large (what, 14"?) monitors and, oh, two floppy drives and a HD of a few Meg. Yours for a mere £1.5k or thereabouts. :lol:

Anyway, tape storage was tried and tested, it was easy and cheap to implement and the medium was plentiful. I think it's great that we can still use those things with increased stability now we record the data digitally, swap patches instantly, etc. Cassettes were terrible for not working well on other machines than the one used for recording.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 pm

The great thing about the ESQ-1 is that it's also capable of dumping data via MIDI. This incredible device known as a "disk drive" came out, which I bought immediately so as never to have to go through the trauma of tape again.
It was a rackmount floppy drive for MIDI backup. I don't think they're very common.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu May 05, 2011 9:06 pm

@AG

Were you using an Alesis Datadisk?
soundcloud.com/vectron

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The great thing about the ESQ-1 is that it's also capable of dumping data via MIDI.
You could also dump to a Mirage that was MIDIed to the ESQ-1. I bought an SQ-80 largely because it had a disk drive and used it to save dumps for all my other gear for many years.

The ESQ-1/SQ-80 tape port doubled as an FSK/MIDI synchronizer. I used that with my Portastudio for a long time.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu May 05, 2011 10:44 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The ESQ-1/SQ-80 tape port doubled as an FSK/MIDI synchronizer. I used that with my Portastudio for a long time.
That reminds me, so does the tape port on the Yamaha RX-11.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 pm

Alex E wrote:@AG

Were you using an Alesis Datadisk?
i used an Alesis datadisk for years. For my two MMT-8's, that was the best way to back them up since their tape backup was very unreliable (at least with the recorders i tried).

EdGs
Gear: Prophet 5 and Emulator 1, both are works in progress
Epiphone LesPaul Ace Frehley
Hondo Formula One Vee
Fender Gemini IV

Post by EdGs » Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 pm

schmidtc wrote:Question: What are people using for the cassette recorders?

My walkman doesn't cut it ;) I'd really like a cassette recorder with a speed adjustment, as I deleted all the patches in my T8 this week trying to load the factory patches from a stupid wine country tape that was recorded at 90% speed.
Interesting that you mention the WCS tape recorded at 90% speed, I bought a patch tape for my P5 from them and had exactly the same issue. I used Audacity to get it close to the right speed and was somewhat successful loading to my Prophet, but haven't had a chance to finish it up yet.

I'd hate to think it was on purpose that this was done.....

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Alesis HR-16 and SR-16 drum machines. And Casio CZ-5000... probably the other CZ's too.
If I remember correctly, also the Korg DW-8000

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri May 06, 2011 12:07 am

I just got home and took a quick look at my gear and discovered the following also have cassette interfaces:

Casio RZ-1 (via "MT" jack)
Elka Synthex
Linn LM-2
Oberheim DX, OB-X, OB-Xa & OB-8 (as Micke thought earlier)
Roland Jupiter 8

Curious as to why it was left out of Ensoniq ESQ-M and Korg EX-8000 since their keyboard versions have them.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri May 06, 2011 12:24 am

The Roland MC8 Microcomposer was another piece of equipment that used cassette backup. Because of how long it took to save a sequence Roland developed the MTR100 digital cassette recorder for use with the followup MC4 Microcomposer. The Sequential Circuits Poly Sequencer came with a built in microcassette recorder for backup.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound