Synths that store patches through a cassette interface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Synths that store patches through a cassette interface

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri May 06, 2011 12:52 am

Alex E wrote:@AG

Were you using an Alesis Datadisk?
I used some prototype version of something like that, but the other one I've seen (which I actually possess, in storage, but belongs to a friend of mine) is a Datadisk.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri May 06, 2011 1:48 am

I use the CS40M, Prophet T8, Juno 106 and Jupier6; all of which save to tape.

I also use CS70M and have two blank books of data strips - but need more if anyone knows a source for them. And I bought a Prophet10 a few years ago though haven't incorporated it into my set up yet - again if anyone knows a source of P10 mini-cassettes I'd be grateful (I realise that's highly unrealistic).

Question - do you back up regularly or if the battery ran out on those synths right now, would you loose sounds? I'm cutting it fine and intend doing a back to Adobe Audition this summer.

Actually I'd like to experiment by looking at the audio output from one of these synths - say the CS40M with only 20 memory locations - and see if I can identify the individual programs and their carrier separator. Then, reorganise them by cutting and pasting individual program audio segments into a different order in Adobe Audition and then retransmit back to the CS40M. I can’t see a reason why it shouldn't work. Perhaps it'd be a way to build up a library of named sounds within Adobe Audition and then add together whatever combinations I want to transmit to the synth depending on the project / requirement.

Kevin

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Fri May 06, 2011 2:25 am

knolan wrote:I use the CS40M, Prophet T8, Juno 106 and Jupier6; all of which save to tape.

Actually I'd like to experiment by looking at the audio output from one of these synths - say the CS40M with only 20 memory locations - and see if I can identify the individual programs and their carrier separator. Then, reorganise them by cutting and pasting individual program audio segments into a different order in Adobe Audition and then retransmit back to the CS40M. I can’t see a reason why it shouldn't work. Perhaps it'd be a way to build up a library of named sounds within Adobe Audition and then add together whatever combinations I want to transmit to the synth depending on the project / requirement.

Kevin
That would be quite interesting. I've tried to do some basic editing on the recorded waveforms from tape outputs in order to ajust the playback level and it worked fine, as some synths will only work if the signal level is high enough. I think that editing patch orders would be a very plausible way to reorganize a memory bank, but as far as I remember I couldn't identify a single pattern in the waveform to begin with. Maybe other synths are easier to manage,

mute

Post by mute » Fri May 06, 2011 7:26 am

Most if not all Yamaha DX's have tape back up.

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Fri May 06, 2011 3:21 pm

there's a prophet 5 windows app floating around that converts the audio from p5's cassette interface to sysex. sure would like to see that ported over to mac os x.

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Fri May 06, 2011 3:24 pm

ps these days i use aiff copies of my old cassettes and they work great.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sun May 08, 2011 3:18 am

I used to save my CZ-5000 patches on minidiscs. It was great because the minidisc tracks had names and I didn't need a whole computer, just a portable minidisc player with the volume cranked up a bit. At the time it seemed revolutionary and cool since the minidisc uses ATRAC compression (similar to MP3 encoding).

I was surprised to see that the HR-16 drum machines still sold today STILL have the tape output.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun May 08, 2011 4:57 pm

EdGs wrote: Interesting that you mention the WCS tape recorded at 90% speed, [...] I'd hate to think it was on purpose that this was done.....
Probably not. Back in the day, inexpensive belt-drive cassette machines were doing good if they were within +/- 10%. And only the higher-end machines had speed adjustments.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Z wrote:
psy-free wrote: Edit : Oh and a Casio CZ-5000.
Are you sure? I just looked at photos of a CZ-5000 I recently sold and I don't see any cassette jacks on the rear...
The CZ-5000 has a DIN socket for the tape interface. Essential if you use the sequencer because it only holds one song at a time. None of the other CZs used tape.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue May 10, 2011 3:01 am

The Moog Source was my first tape interface. Could save the 16 patches and all the sequence data. You had to buy a special cable at Radio Shack with the DIN on one end and 3 mini plugs on the other end. I remember having to run the shoebox tape recorder off the batteries, because the crappy AC adapter I had would create noise that would corrupt the tape data.
The Yamaha CS-20M also has a tape interface, though I never tried it.
madtheory wrote: None of the other CZs used tape.
Don't forget the CZ-230S. The original Casio workstation had the "MT" DIN interface for saving your sequence data to tape.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue May 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Ah, cool! I always forget that one. :)

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Roland / Boss DR-550 mk II drum machine does it.

I tried backing up to MP3 before I knew the difference and it did not work.

-j

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue May 10, 2011 9:32 pm

8 bit 11kHz WAV works with everything I've tried- CZ-5000, TR-505, Crumar Bit One.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed May 11, 2011 2:21 am

madtheory wrote:8 bit 11kHz WAV works with everything I've tried- CZ-5000, TR-505, Crumar Bit One.
Not surprising; a lot of those cassette interfaces used modem circuits designed to work on analog phone lines, which are limited to 4 kHz.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Wed May 11, 2011 4:40 am

Whoever invented the tape data storage methods was bright. It's pretty cool even though it's limited.