Why analog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: Why analog?

Post by pflosi » Tue May 17, 2011 2:13 pm

tekkentool wrote: :lol: You know what other albums do well?
Image
But how can the people enjoy this music when it isn't made using a whole bunch of analogue synthesizers? or being back to basics? :x
as far as I know he uses mainly analog synths?

(anyway, IMO that only proves that you definitely can make s**t music with analog synths. there is no magic button)

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Why analog?

Post by tekkentool » Tue May 17, 2011 3:03 pm

It's true that deadmau5 does own plenty of modular gear and analogue synthesizers but how many of them make it onto the tracks is another matter. Very little on that record sounds like analogue gear because very little of the synths on it are. He's definitely not MAINLY using them....

Maybe not the best example.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:42 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Why analog?

Post by knolan » Tue May 17, 2011 3:15 pm

colmon wrote:
knolan wrote:Analogue is better because it really is better, and if you disagree with me in any way I'm not going to attempt to back up my arguments at all, because it's obvious to anyone that you're wrong.
holy s**t that is some industrial grade trolling right there. good work, sir

This is completely unacceptable behaviour on any forum. I didn't say any of that. Engage the debate or zip it - but do NOT misquote someone on a forum - that is incredibly questionable behaviour. I would expect the moderators to give you a stern warning for that.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: Why analog?

Post by zoomtheline » Tue May 17, 2011 3:21 pm

If you can't see the tongue n cheek sarcasm then you need comedy specs from Blammo!
*can't be arsed to insert witty pic of funny glasses but you get the idea*

User avatar
el pr0n
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:10 pm
Real name: Rory
Gear: Roland SH-32, Ableton Live, Pure Data, Telecaster, Jazzmaster.
Band: Peaks
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Why analog?

Post by el pr0n » Tue May 17, 2011 4:15 pm

knolan wrote:
colmon wrote:
knolan wrote:Analogue is better because it really is better, and if you disagree with me in any way I'm not going to attempt to back up my arguments at all, because it's obvious to anyone that you're wrong.
holy s**t that is some industrial grade trolling right there. good work, sir

This is completely unacceptable behaviour on any forum. I didn't say any of that. Engage the debate or zip it - but do NOT misquote someone on a forum - that is incredibly questionable behaviour. I would expect the moderators to give you a stern warning for that.
You're not engaging much of the debate either.
"Music must be listened to; it is not enough to hear it. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky

If you like tunes;
Peaks on SoundCloud | Peaks on Facebook | Peaks on YouTube | Peaks on MySpace

User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: Why analog?

Post by pflosi » Tue May 17, 2011 4:31 pm

tekkentool wrote:It's true that deadmau5 does own plenty of modular gear and analogue synthesizers but how many of them make it onto the tracks is another matter. Very little on that record sounds like analogue gear because very little of the synths on it are. He's definitely not MAINLY using them....

Maybe not the best example.
I think he uses the synths, but with heavy sampling / chopping / processing etc. maybe that's why I don't like it ;)

User avatar
aredj
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:34 am
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!
Location: Toronto ON

Re: Why analog?

Post by aredj » Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Have we figured out which synth is the best yet?

I'm dying to make music using tools based on the opinions of other people....

User avatar
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:36 pm
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Why analog?

Post by Psy_Free » Tue May 17, 2011 5:03 pm

aredj wrote:Have we figured out which synth is the best yet?
Roland V-Synth ?
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Why analog?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 17, 2011 5:07 pm

tekkentool wrote:It's true that deadmau5 does own plenty of modular gear and analogue synthesizers but how many of them make it onto the tracks is another matter. Very little on that record sounds like analogue gear because very little of the synths on it are. He's definitely not MAINLY using them....

Maybe not the best example.
Actually it's a great example of how synths sound like whatever the f**k you program them to sound like. :idea:

stillearning
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: Why analog?

Post by stillearning » Tue May 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Music has no fixed boundaries. Its limitations are not tools, rather imagination and creativity.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

asohn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:32 am
Gear: Moog Voyager, SH-101, Analogue Solutions Vostok, MKS-80, Korg Polysix, Juno 60, Roland JX8P, Moog MG-1, x0xb0x, SCI Sixtrak
Band: All Hazards
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Why analog?

Post by asohn » Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 pm

tekkentool wrote:
knolan wrote:(one of the reasons why Air's 'Moon Saffari' album did so well - they when back to a lot of basics, including with their synths
:lol: You know what other albums do well?
Image
Image
I hate to say it but it's really not even a matter of taste, Air > Skrillex and that's an indisputable fact. So way to add some firepower to the whole Analog vs. Digital debate.

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: Why analog?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 pm

I couldn't disagree with this conversation more, and here's why:

Look, I just can't come along on this whole "deadmau5" thing. First and foremost, a "5" is not an "S." It vaguely resembles an S, yes. This whole "numbers that look like letters being used as letters" thing is really old. It was old when Deadmau5 first did it. But the problem here is that not only is it not the letter it's meant to represent, it doesn't look like the letter it's meant to represent in the context of the word. Granted, this is because I speak a language where the letters "maus" don't mean anything. The cute numbers-as-letters trick really only works when your brain expects a letter and sees a number which approximates that letter and accepts it in context. Otherwise, we'd just think letters and numbers were the same thing. The trick requires a context to be effective.
So, when my eyes drag across the word "Deadmau5," I see the phonetic equivalent of "Dead Mou Five." It drives me crazy.
Of course, this is the age where artificial words aren't pronounced how they look, they're pronounced how the author SAYS they're pronounced, and everyone is apparently willing to go along with that.

W1th L0v3,
4ut0m4t1c 641n54y
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Re: Why analog?

Post by tallowwaters » Tue May 17, 2011 8:20 pm

Good job on killing 5 or 6 important threads by keeping this pile of s**t alive, folks.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Locked