Why analog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Why analog?

Post by pflosi » Tue May 17, 2011 2:13 pm

tekkentool wrote: :lol: You know what other albums do well?
But how can the people enjoy this music when it isn't made using a whole bunch of analogue synthesizers? or being back to basics? :x
as far as I know he uses mainly analog synths?

(anyway, IMO that only proves that you definitely can make s**t music with analog synths. there is no magic button)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue May 17, 2011 3:03 pm

It's true that deadmau5 does own plenty of modular gear and analogue synthesizers but how many of them make it onto the tracks is another matter. Very little on that record sounds like analogue gear because very little of the synths on it are. He's definitely not MAINLY using them....

Maybe not the best example.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Tue May 17, 2011 3:15 pm

colmon wrote:
knolan wrote:Analogue is better because it really is better, and if you disagree with me in any way I'm not going to attempt to back up my arguments at all, because it's obvious to anyone that you're wrong.
holy s**t that is some industrial grade trolling right there. good work, sir

This is completely unacceptable behaviour on any forum. I didn't say any of that. Engage the debate or zip it - but do NOT misquote someone on a forum - that is incredibly questionable behaviour. I would expect the moderators to give you a stern warning for that.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue May 17, 2011 3:21 pm

If you can't see the tongue n cheek sarcasm then you need comedy specs from Blammo!
*can't be arsed to insert witty pic of funny glasses but you get the idea*

el pr0n
Gear: Roland SH-32, Ableton Live, Pure Data, Telecaster, Jazzmaster.
Band: Peaks

Post by el pr0n » Tue May 17, 2011 4:15 pm

knolan wrote:
colmon wrote:
knolan wrote:Analogue is better because it really is better, and if you disagree with me in any way I'm not going to attempt to back up my arguments at all, because it's obvious to anyone that you're wrong.
holy s**t that is some industrial grade trolling right there. good work, sir

This is completely unacceptable behaviour on any forum. I didn't say any of that. Engage the debate or zip it - but do NOT misquote someone on a forum - that is incredibly questionable behaviour. I would expect the moderators to give you a stern warning for that.
You're not engaging much of the debate either.
"Music must be listened to; it is not enough to hear it. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky

If you like tunes;
Peaks on SoundCloud | Peaks on Facebook | Peaks on YouTube | Peaks on MySpace

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue May 17, 2011 4:31 pm

tekkentool wrote:It's true that deadmau5 does own plenty of modular gear and analogue synthesizers but how many of them make it onto the tracks is another matter. Very little on that record sounds like analogue gear because very little of the synths on it are. He's definitely not MAINLY using them....

I think he uses the synths, but with heavy sampling / chopping / processing etc. maybe that's why I don't like it ;)

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Have we figured out which synth is the best yet?

I'm dying to make music using tools based on the opinions of other people....

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Tue May 17, 2011 5:03 pm

aredj wrote:Have we figured out which synth is the best yet?
Roland V-Synth ?
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 17, 2011 5:07 pm

tekkentool wrote:It's true that deadmau5 does own plenty of modular gear and analogue synthesizers but how many of them make it onto the tracks is another matter. Very little on that record sounds like analogue gear because very little of the synths on it are. He's definitely not MAINLY using them....

Actually it's a great example of how synths sound like whatever the f**k you program them to sound like. :idea:

stillearning

Post by stillearning » Tue May 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Music has no fixed boundaries. Its limitations are not tools, rather imagination and creativity.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

asohn
Gear: Moog Voyager, SH-101, Analogue Solutions Vostok, MKS-80, Korg Polysix, Juno 60, Roland JX8P, Moog MG-1, x0xb0x, SCI Sixtrak
Band: All Hazards

Post by asohn » Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 pm

tekkentool wrote:
knolan wrote:(one of the reasons why Air's 'Moon Saffari' album did so well - they when back to a lot of basics, including with their synths
:lol: You know what other albums do well?
I hate to say it but it's really not even a matter of taste, Air > Skrillex and that's an indisputable fact. So way to add some firepower to the whole Analog vs. Digital debate.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 pm

I couldn't disagree with this conversation more, and here's why:

Look, I just can't come along on this whole "deadmau5" thing. First and foremost, a "5" is not an "S." It vaguely resembles an S, yes. This whole "numbers that look like letters being used as letters" thing is really old. It was old when Deadmau5 first did it. But the problem here is that not only is it not the letter it's meant to represent, it doesn't look like the letter it's meant to represent in the context of the word. Granted, this is because I speak a language where the letters "maus" don't mean anything. The cute numbers-as-letters trick really only works when your brain expects a letter and sees a number which approximates that letter and accepts it in context. Otherwise, we'd just think letters and numbers were the same thing. The trick requires a context to be effective.
So, when my eyes drag across the word "Deadmau5," I see the phonetic equivalent of "Dead Mou Five." It drives me crazy.
Of course, this is the age where artificial words aren't pronounced how they look, they're pronounced how the author SAYS they're pronounced, and everyone is apparently willing to go along with that.

W1th L0v3,
4ut0m4t1c 641n54y
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue May 17, 2011 8:20 pm

Good job on killing 5 or 6 important threads by keeping this pile of s**t alive, folks.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.