What 'hidden gems' have you found on your synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Re: What 'hidden gems' have you found on your synths?

Post by gcoudert » Sun May 29, 2011 11:11 am

My £27 DX7 unexpectedly came with an expansion board that gave it 4 banks of patches as well as a changeable MIDI Out channel!
GC

colmon

Post by colmon » Sun May 29, 2011 1:57 pm

correct me if i'm wrong but kontakt 3 only lets you modulate the loop start point and loop length, not the loop position. i've yet to find a software sampler that has this feature. is this a new feature in kontakt 4? you can do it in the numerology sample synth but it lacks basic features such as bi-directional looping. i think you can do it in the ableton sampler as well. probably possible in max or reaktor or something

AzureElectron

Post by AzureElectron » Sun May 29, 2011 3:21 pm

gcoudert wrote:My £27 DX7 unexpectedly came with an expansion board that gave it 4 banks of patches as well as a changeable MIDI Out channel!
Mine too! It wasn't £27 but still a great deal for a very good condition DX7 with Sycology V2 installed of which I hadn't known. Another hidden gem is the extremely healthy battery inside which apparently uses dark energy - when I bought it, it showed 2.8V, now it is 3.1V. How cannot you love it?

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 am

AzureElectron wrote:
gcoudert wrote:My £27 DX7 unexpectedly came with an expansion board that gave it 4 banks of patches as well as a changeable MIDI Out channel!
Mine too! It wasn't £27 but still a great deal for a very good condition DX7 with Sycology V2 installed of which I hadn't known. Another hidden gem is the extremely healthy battery inside which apparently uses dark energy - when I bought it, it showed 2.8V, now it is 3.1V. How cannot you love it?
That's exactly the board I have; I wish it had Local On/Off though. Unlike yours, my DX7 wasn't in very good condition but everything works. I had to change the battery in mine last year. I put in a battery holder so the next change should be easier; I couldn't find a place that sold those holders individually so I ended up buying 30 from Hong Kong via eBay!!!
GC