Roland Fantoms

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
dannmarr

Roland Fantoms

Post by dannmarr » Mon May 23, 2011 4:51 am

I am convinced on buying a Roland Fantom but,...Can someone give a run down on these models? It is confusing. Which one came first, which is the latest? The differences? Thanks!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Roland Fantoms

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:15 am

I would suggest looking into a secondhand Fantom X, which is great value for money these days. :)

The Fantom G is the latest version, but many users have had problems with bugs in the sequencer - but this may or may not be an issue for you.

Basically the Fantom X6 is the 61 key version, the X7 is the 76 key version and the X8 is the 88 key version - same goes for the G series Fantoms.

The Fantom XR has been the only rack fantom produced.

The G series just adds a wider screen and some other differences, personally I like the simpler and more logical setup on the Fantom X much better but you can do more complicated live configurations on the G as far as sounds go - if you're just going to use it in the studio though just go with the X.

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Mon May 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Order of their release:

Fantom
Fantom S
Fantom Xa
Fantom X
Fantom G

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 23, 2011 6:46 pm

The original Fantom FA76 has no sampling features.

The Fantom S can sample but cannot import samples in other formats (including older Roland samplers!)

The Fantom X (with an OS update) and Fantom G support multitrack recording into sample RAM.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon May 23, 2011 7:35 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The original Fantom FA76 has no sampling features.
I have this model, and it is very basic and limited compared to some of the newer models.
I think if you really want a Fantom that the X would probably be the way to go.

If you are open to other workstation however, I think you should take a look at the Korg M3 or maybe on older Yamaha Motif ES. These are also good workstations. The M3 with Radius expansion is a ridiculous deal. You get a ton of features, and another synth, for a very reasonable price.

dannmarr

Post by dannmarr » Tue May 24, 2011 2:23 am

Thanks everyone. Many have told me the pianos in the M3 are not as good as the Roland and Yamaha. Piano sound is a must, that is why I got rid of my M1.

How about a run down on the Yamahas Motifs?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 24, 2011 3:28 am

dannmarr wrote:Piano sound is a must, that is why I got rid of my M1.
Get a Kurzweil. I've seen K2500s going for insanely cheap prices, you should be able to get a 2600 for the price of the other boards you're looking at too.

If you don't need sampling then look at the PC2 and PC3 series.

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 am

dannmarr wrote:Thanks everyone. Many have told me the pianos in the M3 are not as good as the Roland and Yamaha. Piano sound is a must, that is why I got rid of my M1.

How about a run down on the Yamahas Motifs?
The piano sounds on the Korgs are very nice. Do you live next to a music store where you might go try out a few of the newer korg models?

Or even the newer Fantoms? Both are really fun, and VAST improvements to the piano sounds found in the M1.

dannmarr

Post by dannmarr » Tue May 24, 2011 5:27 pm

I tried the Yamaha xs6 at Samash in NYC. The piano was the best I've heard so far! I shouldn't be surprised, I use a Yamaha emt10 modual and I love the piano sounds. Why did I overlook Yamaha? Again, can someone make a run down on the Motifs? Thanks!

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by krzeppa » Tue May 24, 2011 7:42 pm

If a piano is must I suggest looking at the Kurzweil's, as mentioned earlier.
I have a Yamaha MO8 (basically a stripped down version of the Motif ES), and the piano on it are fine. They are similar to the piano sounds on my original Fantom, perhaps slightly better. I don't really use piano though, so I haven't really compared them side by side to see which is more realistic.

Desecrated

Post by Desecrated » Tue May 24, 2011 8:15 pm

I've always loved the piano in the roland xp and jv/xv modules.
Desecrated Productions officially endorses F-1 Guitarpicks:
http://www.f1pick.com/

dannmarr

Post by dannmarr » Wed May 25, 2011 6:26 pm

I need a workstation, a real piano sound is only one definate need. I'm not a big fan of Kurzweil, I owned one but sold it. I'm debating between a Roland fantom, a Korg M3 or a Yamaha Motif or similar. My budget is around $1500.
Any preferences? Your inputs are greatly appreciated!
*I don't need sampling or computer access.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:02 am

Hmm, I used to own a Yamaha Motif ES, and currently have a Korg M3. While the Motif ES certainly had some great sounds and effects, its user interface was somewhat confusing imo. The Korg M3 is much easier to use in my view.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by krzeppa » Fri May 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Hugo76 wrote:Hmm, I used to own a Yamaha Motif ES, and currently have a Korg M3. While the Motif ES certainly had some great sounds and effects, its user interface was somewhat confusing imo. The Korg M3 is much easier to use in my view.
+1....the Motif, while a really good workstation, can be difficult to work with. The screen is a little smaller than I like, and the interface can be quite confusing. The M3 was more logical to me in terms of user interface.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:19 am

krzeppa wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:Hmm, I used to own a Yamaha Motif ES, and currently have a Korg M3. While the Motif ES certainly had some great sounds and effects, its user interface was somewhat confusing imo. The Korg M3 is much easier to use in my view.
+1....the Motif, while a really good workstation, can be difficult to work with. The screen is a little smaller than I like, and the interface can be quite confusing. The M3 was more logical to me in terms of user interface.

Even before i bought my M3, i kept finding myself trying to touch the screen of a Fantom. Thats one of the things that pushed me toward the M3.