Smoking and gear.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Augment

Re: Smoking and gear.

Post by Augment » Thu May 26, 2011 5:30 am

Smoke ruins practically everything given time. Although the odd exposure to it through a gig here and there won't really have much effect. If you play a synth in a smoky bar/pub occasionally, you probably won't have to worry about discoloration and internal problems. If you do four hour sets 5 nights a week for the better part of the year, you may want to take a bit of care.

Having an occasional cigarette in "the studio" isn't going to turn your keys yellow and make all the electronics die out. Constantly smoking in there where it builds up and hangs in the air day in day out for weeks/months/years will start to take its toll. Although I choose not to smoke in the room I keep all my synths, I smoke like mad in my bedroom where my TV/stereo/videogames/etc all are. I haven't really had any problems with anything, despite certain things being a bit on the yellow side. I just replaced my TV of 10 years, and even IF smoking was the cause of it starting to go bad, 10 years was a good run.

With the synths and other gear, I've spent way too much money on them and see them as things I want (in good condition) for the remainder of my life. I don't play on buying a new Voyager every dozen years or so if I can avoid it.

So I think the term "Smoke Free Studio" is just stating that in their ownership, it hasn't sat around soaking in cigarette smoke.

As mentioned earlier, I find it confounding sometimes how my younger friends (those in their early 20s, opposed to myself at 30) are completely repelled by me having ONE cigarette in their presence. While their bar/club hopping days obviously aren't the smoky haze that my youth was, it hasn't been THAT long since most restaurants had very thinly segregated smoking sections. Although during my upbringing, smoking was still taking place *most* everywhere, movie theaters, fast food joints, Flea Markets, most independent businesses, etc. I was just a few years too shy of the era where you could smoke cigarettes IN SCHOOL (cafeterias) if you were old enough. That sort of thing just sounds completely ridiculous these days, but it happened. For those older than me, like my parents of the "Baby Boom" generation, well, they didn't even have the Surgeon General warnings and all that sort of health advisory when they started smoking. Even up until my 9 months in the womb, my mother's doctor straight up told her it was ok to smoke while pregnant, so long as it wasn't more than a half pack a day (10 cigarettes). This was in 1980-1981. Again, sounds utterly mad at this point in time, but back then was a fairly normal thing, I guess.

Sorry for the rant; I just think while the subject is going it should be reinforced how much things have changed in just the past 10 years or so, even if it is for the better. While someone who's 20-21 years old might not think that a 30 year old is THAT much older than they are, I'm pretty sure by 1990, most Doctors wouldn't have given the green light to your mother smoking while pregnant. So for those younger synth heads aboard, take these facts into consideration when it comes to smokers and your opinion of them. There was a time when taking up smoking wasn't just something to do because it was "cool" or whatever, it was honestly just a normal and acceptable thing for an adult to do.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu May 26, 2011 9:22 am

I'll go one further on Augment.
In my youth, nearly everyone smoked. There were ashtrays everywhere... and I mean everywhere. At the bank... in elevators... in bathrooms... in planes... in cars... at the theater... at all restaurants. Everyone just smoked. It was more likely for you to be a smoker than not.
My parents chain smoked on long trips in the car... with the windows rolled up. It was unremarkable.
Everything, as a result, was saturated in cigarette smoke... and no one noticed, because everyone smoked.
There was very little talk of second-hand smoke, because everyone was getting first-hand smoke.*
Even up until the early aughts, most bars were filled with smoke at all times. If you played live, you bathed in smoke.

If cigarette smoke led to extensive damage to electronics, there simply wouldn't be anything left from the 50s, 60s, or 70s. Smoke was unavoidable.

*I do not smoke, and I have never smoked. I despise the smell of cigarettes, and seek to avoid them. That being said, I chuckle a little bit when people talk of "THE DANGERS OF SECOND-HAND SMOKE," as these dangers can't be that dangerous, or everyone who was alive at some point between 1900 and 1980 would undoubtedly be dead or dying of cancer.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

The part about this that's so shocking is that companies are allowed to sell something so addictive.
I mean something inside the product is damn ADDICTIVE-- and it's legal.

I wish I was able to make something that was guaranteed to make you want another- once you tried one.

Like...

like...

Synthesizers.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:49 pm

i don't smoke around my synths...

that said, they may have been in smoky bars, venues, etc.....

or the band may have used a smoke machine while on stage.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu May 26, 2011 2:18 pm

I grew up in a plume of smoke and I have always hated it. My inlaws are huge smokers and in the study where my father in law virtually lives has to be decorated regularly as the ceiling/walls get real nasty. He's been through a few expensive amps and CD players over a relatively short space of time due to (apparently) smoke damage.

I would really worry if any of my equipment was kept anywhere like that.

although, I have bought a few pieces of equipment that was obvious came from a smokey studio as they stunk. But a good clean inside and out and the smell goes after a while.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Thu May 26, 2011 2:47 pm

tekkentool wrote: I will admit that when I see people I respect smoking it does slightly lower their status mentally, to me smoking doesn't really make sense. I'm not going to say it's inherently immoral or something like that, and legally you have the right to do whatever you want. However I don't see the point, to me it just seems like a useless addiction.
My thoughts exactly. And you said it all without even invoking the C word (CANCER!).

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu May 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I'll go one further on Augment.
In my youth, nearly everyone smoked. There were ashtrays everywhere... and I mean everywhere. At the bank... in elevators... in bathrooms... in planes... in cars... at the theater... at all restaurants. Everyone just smoked. It was more likely for you to be a smoker than not.
My parents chain smoked on long trips in the car... with the windows rolled up. It was unremarkable.
Everything, as a result, was saturated in cigarette smoke... and no one noticed, because everyone smoked.
There was very little talk of second-hand smoke, because everyone was getting first-hand smoke.*
Even up until the early aughts, most bars were filled with smoke at all times. If you played live, you bathed in smoke.

If cigarette smoke led to extensive damage to electronics, there simply wouldn't be anything left from the 50s, 60s, or 70s. Smoke was unavoidable.

*I do not smoke, and I have never smoked. I despise the smell of cigarettes, and seek to avoid them. That being said, I chuckle a little bit when people talk of "THE DANGERS OF SECOND-HAND SMOKE," as these dangers can't be that dangerous, or everyone who was alive at some point between 1900 and 1980 would undoubtedly be dead or dying of cancer.
Further augment your augment. I grew up in the south, about 2 hours from the tobacco capital of the US, where every f**k body smoked. I can remember people smoking in department stores, gas stations, etc. h**l, people still smoke in places like World Wide Imports and gas stations around here. I remember when cheap cigarettes were about a buck a pack and Camels were around 2.50, and this wasn't much more than 10 years ago. We (and I mean everybody I was ever my friend/relation/whathaveyou) started smoking by age 13 and nobody gave a s**t. It wasn't much longer after that the anti smoking s**t came through with all sorts of legislation that relegated smokers to second tier citizens and now you can't even smoke in bars or even titty bars, which is absolutely ridiculous. I mean, it's good that people are pushing smoking out (at the cost of killing the economy of the central region of NC), but nobody goes to a bar concerned for their health.

*I haven't smoked in close to a decade now, save for wildly drunken nights at bars and titty bars, back when you could smoke inside.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 26, 2011 5:39 pm

griffin avid wrote:The part about this that's so shocking is that companies are allowed to sell something so addictive.
I don't think anyone really cares that it's addictive, there are plenty of addictive things out there which are legal, ie video games, coffee, eurorack modules. The issue is that it makes people sick, and then somebody has to pay for the medical bills.

I smoke, never at home though. I smoke when I'm at shows though, and that's often 5 nights a week. The thing that bugs me about smoking is that I've had the most incredible cigarettes ever the last time I was in the US, and I can't get them here. They lasted 3 times longer than a regular cigarette, tasted wonderful and left you not wanting another one for hours. They were expensive by US standards but about average for over here.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
griffin avid wrote:The part about this that's so shocking is that companies are allowed to sell something so addictive.
I don't think anyone really cares that it's addictive, there are plenty of addictive things out there which are legal, ie video games, coffee, eurorack modules. The issue is that it makes people sick, and then somebody has to pay for the medical bills.

I smoke, never at home though. I smoke when I'm at shows though, and that's often 5 nights a week. The thing that bugs me about smoking is that I've had the most incredible cigarettes ever the last time I was in the US, and I can't get them here. They lasted 3 times longer than a regular cigarette, tasted wonderful and left you not wanting another one for hours. They were expensive by US standards but about average for over here.

Cloves?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:

Cloves?
mmmmm....love the smell of cloves....
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Thu May 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Just one thing about the health side of smoking, at least in social-democratic countries as mine (Norway). We smokers pay a lot of taxes. I mean enormous amounts. I pay 90 kr for a pack. That's about 11 euro, 16 US dollars. One third or more of that is taxes. I smoke atleast twenty a day, with no exeption. 30 kr times 365 is 10950 kr a year, around 1400 euro, almost 2000 US dollars. And the prices keep rising; They have to, since less people smoke.

In addition to this smokers die a lot younger, with a life expectancy at around 60 - 70, depending on male or female etc. I remember seeing a statistic showing the health care cost of smokers, obese and perfectly healthy people in europe, smokers being at the very lowest, because dying at younger ages, and dying pretty quick, opposed to obese and healthy people costing a lot more over time. Can't really back this up though, didn't bookmark.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, we smokers generally contribute pretty f**k much to health care, at the cost of dying young. That's also why smoking will never be banned. It's big f**k bucks.

Edit: I'm thinking about growing my own.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu May 26, 2011 10:56 pm

ninja6485 wrote:mmmmm....love the smell of cloves....
Me too. So much, that in the short period of time that I was a RAVER, I toted them around as lit fashion accessories. BUT I NEVER INHALED.
Plumpudding wrote:Just one thing about the health side of smoking, at least in social-democratic countries as mine (Norway). We smokers pay a lot of taxes. I mean enormous amounts. I pay 90 kr for a pack. That's about 11 euro, 16 US dollars. One third or more of that is taxes. I smoke atleast twenty a day, with no exeption. 30 kr times 365 is 10950 kr a year, around 1400 euro, almost 2000 US dollars. And the prices keep rising; They have to, since less people smoke.

In addition to this smokers die a lot younger, with a life expectancy at around 60 - 70, depending on male or female etc. I remember seeing a statistic showing the health care cost of smokers, obese and perfectly healthy people in europe, smokers being at the very lowest, because dying at younger ages, and dying pretty quick, opposed to obese and healthy people costing a lot more over time. Can't really back this up though, didn't bookmark.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, we smokers generally contribute pretty f**k much to health care, at the cost of dying young. That's also why smoking will never be banned. It's big f**k bucks.

I'm gonna start growing my own.
That's an interesting perspective.

I also want to point out that cigarettes don't cause cancer in humans, they cause cancer in a certain percentage of humans. As with all things human, it's all the bell curve. But cigarettes don't even cause cancer with the average percentage of people. Just some percentage. If ALL smokers died between 60-70, no one who lived their life between about 1900 (or earlier, perhaps) and 1980 would survive past 70... but many many of them did. Including my grandfather who smoked bare-a*s Camels from 14-65, my other grandmother who lived most of her adult life with my chain-smoking OTHER grandfather (can you say 1000% second-hand smoke?). My mom smoked from about 1960-1985, and then from about 1990-2005, and she's 70. My step-father smoked his whole adult life until about 10 years ago, and he's 76. Of course, my other chain-smoking grandfather did die from emphysema... BUT... he died at the age of 71. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Yes. Look at Kurt Vonnegut. He got really pissed, 83 years old, still without the cancer everyone had promised him. He died 84 years old of falling in his home.

Anyways, I have to say I love smoking. I love the smell, the social aspect (It's always acceptable here in norway to talk to strangers smoking outside bars, but if you say hello to a stranger next to you on a buss people think you're crazy.), the taste, the feel, even the smeel of full ashtrays. Everything. I'll gladly die a bit younger for all that smoking gives me, but I do understand why some people won't, don't like it etc. I'm not really against banning smoking in bars and workplaces, although I do miss it (I basically grew up in smoke-clouded bars).

On the synth side of things, I usually never smoke with my synths out of their respective cases, bags and whatnot, but I occationally smoke when I'm really into a track I'm doing.

Edit: On the smokeban: It f**k pisses me off, when people nag at me for having a smoke outside, at, lets say a bus stop. The second hand smoke you get outside is minimal, compared to what a smoker inhales, and compared to what any person in a big city will inhale in a day. Maybe I look like a f**k freak or a madman or something, but it happens a lot!
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 pm

ive bought quite a few old synths over the years that have come from studios as to making any difference to sound or playing issues not really, but as i dont smoke i dont bring any smokey gear in the house its in the shed for a week or so i remember an old white Arp Odyssey with smoke film over it and sliders all stuck that was bad, but hey many are, the only issue i can see what could hinder playing is burns on keys.
yamoto773

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 27, 2011 3:43 am

tallowwaters wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:The thing that bugs me about smoking is that I've had the most incredible cigarettes ever the last time I was in the US, and I can't get them here. They lasted 3 times longer than a regular cigarette, tasted wonderful and left you not wanting another one for hours. They were expensive by US standards but about average for over here.
Cloves?
Nat Shermans.