Well this is a stupid cartoon.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WDW

Re: Well this is a stupid cartoon.

Post by WDW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
CS_TBL wrote:Sound designers, and the context they're dealing with, decide what synth sounds better, not synths themself. That basically levels all 'versus threads', ever.. :lol:
Analog, unless it's modular, is worthless to a sound designer. Analog is a timbral choice, not a functional choice.
Frank Serafine and his CS-80 might disagree. ;)

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 am

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 pm

balma wrote:
gridsleep wrote:I've heard the jupiter 8. Don't know what the big friggin deal is. Overpriced dinosaur. The jupiter 80 is just as silly.
look at the big picture man. If somebody knows no s**t about synths, all of them will sound terrible on his hands, that's the whole problem with these stupid comparisons

Synths are more than just a characteristic group of sounds, they are whole inventions to serve your musical creativity:
Exactly. The Jupiter 8 is not bad. I just don't think it's the Jesus Synth. And no one can afford one. It's like a Ducati motorcycle. Sure, it looks good between the legs of Carrie Ann Moss launching off the roof of a truck, but, seriously, unless you intend to break the law all the time for the fun of it, 90% of that bike is wasted. Howard Jones can make the Jupiter 8 be all it can be. Good for him. Maybe a Virus C works for someone else, or a Roland SH-201. Enough with trying to vindicate the Jupiter's par excellance. If you want one, save up for it, make beautiful music, but quit talking about it already.

Do the car enthusiast boards have this problem with guys who won't just up about the 1955 Chrysler 300?

And, you know? I have a V-Synth GT. All I have to do is turn it on and start twiddling knobs, waving my hand in the VBeams, tapping the pad and banging the keys, and within five minutes I have a whole song going, something that's really fun and a little nonsensicle, but dang if it really doesn't just sound great. It's a very complicated thoughtful planning synthesizer but it is also a supeb spur of the moment what can I come up with in a few seconds synthesizer. There are not many machines that can claim both sides of the track. And it does sound great, dang it.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.