Should I keep the jx-3p?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
verkannt

Should I keep the jx-3p?

Post by verkannt » Sat May 28, 2011 12:44 am

Along with my doepfer dark energies and my juno-60, I recently acquired the jx-3p. I like it's sound, it's interface, and also the construction of it (very sturdy). But it hasn't blown me away yet. It's good, but i'm wondering should I cash in and get something better. I do have to admit, I have spent more time with my other new acquisitions i.e. the juno-60 and the doepfers, so I haven't given it as much time thats possibly needed, but I was just wondering what other users thought. I'm a big fan of psychedelic/noise/synth-drone etc.. e.g. Oneohetrix, Emeralds, Ducktails, Dolphins into the future etc... It's probably worth mentioning that.

Here are some of the examples of sounds that i'm into, just to paint a better picture:

Is it worth hanging onto for what i'm into????????????????

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Should I keep the jx-3p?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat May 28, 2011 1:04 am

If you don't mind the interface of the JX-3P, then you should keep it even instead of the Juno 60. It has far more functionality which results in a lot more timbral diversity, and it has a tone which is at least a little bit more... well, something.
I know that the Juno 60 has this crazy perceived value these days, though. The only thing the Juno 60 really has on the JX is the interface.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

verkannt

Post by verkannt » Sat May 28, 2011 1:35 am

do you think the tone of jx-3p is sufficient for the timbre that I wish to acquire? I take into the account that effects play a huge part in this. I'm without the programmer, does this hinder me in anyway??

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Post by Electroluver » Sat May 28, 2011 3:51 am

The JX-3P can sound very lush even though it's somewhat limited. The Pg-200 is a worthwhile investment for creating and tweaking sounds when they're are played back throught the sequencer.

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Sat May 28, 2011 3:58 am

You should seriously check out the KiwiTechnics mod, which for a pittance will upgrade your JX-3P to basically a Jupiter-class synth (cue all the Jupiter owners complaining).

It's not done yet, but what it has so far already dramatically improves the usability of the synth.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat May 28, 2011 5:18 am

I have the KIWI upgrade in mine. Full MIDI Control. 2 EGs, 2 LFOs, 2 mono modes, 2 unison modes, 2 poly modes. MIDI Syncable arp and sequencer. Turns it into a real Jupiter contender. It also now supports the PG-200. Or you could get the Programmer KIWITech makes.

The CPU Upgrade is well worth the $140-ish.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

verkannt

Post by verkannt » Sat May 28, 2011 5:19 am

good suggestions. If I were to leave it as it is, is the jx worth keeping, taking into account the kind of sounds i'm after (check the links if u wish to know what i mean)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat May 28, 2011 6:07 am

I can't comment on what sounds your after. All I can do is comment on the sound and functionality of the JX.
And, as far as analog polysynths go, it is not limited at all. Is it a CS-80, or a Jupiter 8? Good heavens, no. But it leaves the currently very popular Junos in the dust.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Sat May 28, 2011 3:29 pm

I know Oneohetrix uses the Juno a lot. And the Emeralds sound relies on the Micromoog and the MS-10.

I had a Juno and a JX-3P and all I can say is that you'll get better results with the Juno if you are new with synthesis. But if you really know what you are doing while programming synths, the JX-3P is more versatile (but with less buttom).

mute

Post by mute » Sat May 28, 2011 4:11 pm

I've gone through alot of 80s synths, Juno 60, Poly800, Bit-One, CZ-1, Obi Matrix-6, etc. Out of all of those, the only one I've kept through out all the years is my JX3P.. well that and the CZ-1, but its different from the rest. Occassionally I wish I kept the Matrix-6 as well, but meh... overlap.

My JX3P is in need of repair though. The MIDI in has completely stopped working when switched to MIDI mode, but the PG-200 still works when set in controller mode. Makes me think the switch is fubar, but I haven't been able to sort it. I mainly use it for playing though, and the sequencer (slaved to midi through my FR Mobius).. I have really been missing the MIDI lately though. Need to take it in. I've wanted to do one of the mods for awhile but if the MIDI is fubar why bother.. =1 I'd almost rather buy a new one altogether, but then getting rid of the old one would be a pain.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sat May 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Funny post as I have just put my 3P on ebay after a LOT of debating...and still not sure I made the right choice but meh lets ride this out hahah

The 3P is a great little synth with a nice sounding filter I think...Every time I turn it on I think ahh right so this is why I keep you :)
For me though I just don't use it enough to warrant having it collect dust, kiwi mod is cool but I also fancy a new synth.

Re programing the 3P, it's so easy without the PG..If only the Alpha Juno was the same! Sure it's not as fun to tweek like a 60 but neither is is a pain in the a*s.

Last time I propperly turned it on and played it I made a few sounds with it and tracked them into a DAW

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The only thing the Juno 60 really has on the JX is the interface.
And an arpegiator.
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat May 28, 2011 8:04 pm

fh991586 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The only thing the Juno 60 really has on the JX is the interface.
And an arpegiator.
I'll raise your arpeggiator with an actual sequencer.
Let's just jump to the end part where the JX has more functionality. You should know.

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:31 pm

I always wanted an analog synth with an arpegiator, but they sell for too much money! So it's an important option for me.

Of course, I'm pretty happy with the sound capabilities of the JX-3P, but I would be really annoyed if I had to choose between it and the Juno 60.
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Sun May 29, 2011 12:26 am

I'd keep it, even without the programmer or upgrade. The Juno's arp synced with the 3P's polyphonic (!) sequencer would be an ideal setup for this sort of thing.