Will FM ever be sought after ???

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Will FM ever be sought after ???

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:12 am

MrFrodo wrote:. Has anybody used a Yamaha FM synthesizer to re-create the bells from Michael Jackson's "Beat It?" I'm considering a TG33, and knowing that it could possibly re-create that sound could mean the difference between getting one and just forgetting all about it. :D
That's a synclavier II originally, (it's actually just the demo tape they send around to studios. They liked it so they just dropped the demo tape section into the song). I don't doubt that you could emulate it (not easily with a tg33 likely).

But I have a simpler method.

Sample the intro sound into your sampler....

...and you're done.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:15 am

Nah, who'd want to do that? too simple! HA!
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:17 am

CS_TBL wrote: 'Elements' W.I.P. (a long non-tracked improv piece by yours truly, so, not a cover this time)
2:38 Air
3:53 Water
4:51 Land
Has this been released and if so where can I buy it and if not, why not?

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:19 am

When it's ready I'll put it @ my youtube page. Currently it's 3 pieces (12 minutes), it'll become five (fire and aether), so anywhere between 16 and 20 minutes I guess.

Not anywhere during the first 6 weeks from now though.. college exams 'n things, and a bit o' internship going on.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:32 am

CS_TBL wrote:When it's ready I'll put it @ my youtube page. Currently it's 3 pieces (12 minutes), it'll become five (fire and aether)
This is for you :

Some crazy polish streetpriest I met one day. Managed to sample around half an hour of him talking c**p.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 am

I stumbled across something called the Zeroscillator, which is an analog FM module. I listened to the sound samples and have never heard anything like it. I could really see people getting into that, although it is always pricey to start a modular.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:06 am

zeroscillator has zero thru fm which is real nice,

there is also the harvestman hertz donut which does zero through.

but still those are only 2 operators at most...

with real fm algorithms (dx style) its a whole different ballpark.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Well, you could always just buy multiple zeroscillators (you only need them for carriers, any ol' osc can act as the modulator - my personal favourite is to use a wavetable osc as modulator... By combining wavetables with FM you can get much more complex results with fewer operators than your usual 6 sine arrangement)

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Zeroscillators are about $1000 each.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:16 am

Joey wrote:Zeroscillators are about $1000 each.
I think I'd place that under the "not worth it" category.

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:19 am

It does seem like a one trick pony but would be a nice addition to a modular system.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 pm

the zeroscillator also does reversing sync, waveform morphing, and quadrature operation... It's probably the most flexible oscillator available in modulars. It's pretty damn far from a 'one trick pony'. The only thing holding me back from owning one atm is that the euro version costs more than the other versions (due to depth restrictions in the euro format, the euro version had to be reengineered with components split among more stacked PCBs to fit)... and I'm not sure yet if I'll just stick with euro or branch into other formats (at which point I'd pick up a ZO in the other format to save some coin).

It's certainly no doepfer, but if you compare it to other high end oscillator modules (which both in features and in sound from the examples I've heard it competes with VERY well) such as macbeth, buchla, or cwejman, it really isn't that monstrously expensive for what you get.

TL;DR: Modulars are expensive, but to a lot of people worth it.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:47 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:the zeroscillator also does reversing sync, waveform morphing, and quadrature operation... It's probably the most flexible oscillator available in modulars. It's pretty damn far from a 'one trick pony'. The only thing holding me back from owning one atm is that the euro version costs more than the other versions (due to depth restrictions in the euro format, the euro version had to be reengineered with components split among more stacked PCBs to fit)... and I'm not sure yet if I'll just stick with euro or branch into other formats (at which point I'd pick up a ZO in the other format to save some coin).

It's certainly no doepfer, but if you compare it to other high end oscillator modules (which both in features and in sound from the examples I've heard it competes with VERY well) such as macbeth, buchla, or cwejman, it really isn't that monstrously expensive for what you get.

TL;DR: Modulars are expensive, but to a lot of people worth it.
there is also the fact that cynthia is generally incredibly unreliable and you may not get your order.

the real answer is three hertz donuts, doesnt matter if they are digital. easily my favorite oscillator (and i've got a cwejman s1!)

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the hertz donut sound examples I've heard so far (all too harsh generally for me - but that's kinda the point with the harvestman)... I certainly am not an analogue purist so I'd be more than open to the idea of a thru-zero digital approach, the problem is that high quality thru-zero fm digital oscs tend to only have such results internally, as its not economical to sample an external input from another module at the same sample rates as the module uses internally (that's the issue with the cyclebox and the upcoming malphonic subsystem anyway).

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:23 am

This thread has diverged away from the OP's original question, which is whether the hardware FM synths of yesteryear will increase in value. I still say the big powerhouse digital synths from the early to mid 90's will see a resurgence someday, despite the advent of computers being able to do all things digital better. Everything is cyclical.

Then again, if Yamaha and Roland ever follow Korg's lead and release plug-in versions of their 90's digital workstations, that prediction will probably not come true. Having the SY99 in plug-in form, with the all the original functionality and samples yet also with ability to add your own samples and create your own operator algorithms (and still backward compatible with the original SY99 SYSEX) would be awesome.