Have you ever... thrown away a synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Have you ever... thrown away a synth?

Post by GameChanger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:15 pm

I know, I know, you didn't want to, and you felt bad doing it. But has anyone ever tossed a synth or drum machine?

I just threw away my Casio Rz1, because 4 pads were done, and a couple outputs were janky as h**l.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Have you ever... thrown away a synth?

Post by Alex E » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:25 pm

In December 2008 I had a Poly-800 beyond repair. Smashed it with an old, heavy, mic stand Trent-Reznor-style in the snow.

The same year I had a Juno-106 in ratty condition, I DIDN'T throw it away but my mom did by accident, because it was in several pieces. What a shame! It was mostly complete save all the slider caps and the voice board which I sold to space6oy.

I have a box of dead or broken things in my closet. MMT-8, DDM-110, SP-202. None of them work. Don't have the heart to throw em away. I'll give them away someday.
soundcloud.com/vectron

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 pm

My Dad had a little TV/radio shop. He NEVER threw ANYTHING out..."...someday I'll need this part....I could use this for...when I get around to it I'll make a......"

I learned that well. My shop has layers like a archaeological dig: Top layer are things that are fixed, but I just can't let go of. Second layer: Things that are no TOO broken; Third, Basket cases; Fourth; Projects that I may get to before I die.Bottom layer; Bits, pieces parts, fragments...examples: Crumar Roadie, JX-10 in two boxes (UPS overkill) and the empty shell from an ESQ-1.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 pm

So it's just sitting in two boxes waiting to be opened? Open it man.. T_T
soundcloud.com/vectron

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Somebody threw away a Juno 106 and a friend picked it up and gigs with it
missing slider caps, broken sliders, and a f**k up lfo are the only problems i can recall, which aint too bad for the price

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Alex E wrote:So it's just sitting in two boxes waiting to be opened? Open it man.. T_T

Been adding Ebay parts to it for two years. Now have all the keys and buttons and a working display. Waiting for a useable front panel or the skill needed to refinish and re-letter the battered one I have.... looks ilike it rode to and from a gig in h**l in the back of a gravel truck....face down.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:39 am

20 year old me bought a DR-110 to mod, took it apart, removed resisters, ruined the bass drum, but wrote a sweet MIDI->trigger unit for it. bass drum didn't sound and the pots weren't scaled properly so they went a bit too far out of range and I never got the resistors on it to scale their values. It had some major problems - midi clock bled to audio output, bassdrum never worked, and the chassis was ugly as sin.

24 year old me was cleaning and said "f**k it" and threw out the voice board during a massive cleaning/purge

27 year old me regrets the h**l outta it :/ I have a 20% feeling that I never threw it away, so keep looking through boxes for it. It's gone.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:05 am

I have an Akai MPC2500 that I'm about to scrap because a firmware update bricked it. I'm hoping to salvage the pads, the sliders and knobs, and maybe the display and the MIDI interface circuitry, plus jacks and connectors.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:40 am

Ive got a dead 606 I use as a paper weight, other than that its mint aswell.... :(
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:49 am

yamaha tg77, yamaha pss480.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:06 am

rhino wrote:
Alex E wrote:So it's just sitting in two boxes waiting to be opened? Open it man.. T_T

Been adding Ebay parts to it for two years. Now have all the keys and buttons and a working display. Waiting for a useable front panel or the skill needed to refinish and re-letter the battered one I have.... looks ilike it rode to and from a gig in h**l in the back of a gravel truck....face down.
Oh dude, have that guy in the UK who refinishes synths do it for you...somethings are just worth paying for...I am handy as h**l, and I have no shame in hiring an expert do something for me if it means something actually gets done...being a graphic designer, often that means I trade design for work I want done on house, guitar, etc...

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 am

What else would you do with a synth?
f**k 80s boopity boop beep beep bullshit.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:52 am

I threw to the trash an Access VIRUS B. A lava lamp over it after a big earthquake in Costa Rica around 6 years ago. Nothing to do with it. I just have the knobs on a small bag
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 am

cornutt wrote:I have an Akai MPC2500 that I'm about to scrap because a firmware update bricked it.
Jeepers, how did that happen? I could understand a corrupted EPROM, but not actual physical damage.

I threw out an Ensoniq MIrage with a dead disk drive. It's such a horrible keybed and nobody wanted the parts. I did keep the filter chips though. They're... somewhere in the house...

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:47 pm

balma wrote:I threw to the trash an Access VIRUS B. A lava lamp over it after a big earthquake in Costa Rica around 6 years ago. Nothing to do with it. I just have the knobs on a small bag
Tragic... :cry: