Interesting A-ha history, with demo track and video!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Interesting A-ha history, with demo track and video!

Post by D-Collector » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 pm

While listening through the "Hunting High And Low" Remastered Deluxe album I took notice of a demo version of "Train Of Thought" on Disc 2. I was under the impression that I had all versions already but this one was new to me.

First of all I think it is a great song on itself, and should definately have been included on one of the first albums under a different name maybe. Unlike the upbeat finished version, this track is slow and moody, complete with great flute work and powerful synth washes! Still, one can definately hear the elements that found their way to the final TOT. Take a listen!

Second, the bassline and parts of the melody here are instantly recognizable -because it was in fact used in a later A-ha track, namely "Cold River" released on "East of the Sun, West of the Moon". It's interesting to learn that the basic song was "in storage" for so long. Personally I find those later albums to be rather boring ventures (with exceptions of course), but that's me. Listen:

While searching for "Cold River" I was lead to another very interesting YouTube video featuring A-ha in their home studio in 1987. The guys are recording the first official version of "Cold River" for a norwegian charity, and are interviewed about various things. Language is norwegian though. It has Magne fooling around with samples and playing dark analog strings the JX-8P, as well as many shots of their other gear! Morten comments on the practicality of the modern home studio. A cool clip!

This might be very trivial and well known for all I know, but I think it is an interesting little "connection" in A-ha's history!

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Interesting A-ha history, with demo track and video!

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks for posting these clips, a-ha is a great band.

gordonmerrick
Gear: Telharmonium, Novachord, Clavivox, Thereminocello

Post by gordonmerrick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 am

Yeah--thanks for this. Great videos.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 pm

great stuff, thanks! :)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Grandmother, DX7 (x2), QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, EX-8000, S2400, Rhodes Stage MK1

Post by Alex E » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Kinda cool how it was 1987 and they already have a DX7II. From what I've noticed, a lot of people were still using the Mk1 back then. But hey, it's an important machine to them, no reason not to upgrade.
soundcloud.com/vectron