Multitimbral synths midi question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
PreemptiveWhack

Multitimbral synths midi question

Post by PreemptiveWhack » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:36 pm

For synths that are multitimbral (I'm wondering about the arturia origin particularly, but I'm also curious about any others), is it possible to use multiple midi controllers to control each layer? The Origin is 4-part multitimbral I believe, so say would you be able to use 3 controllers in addition to the attached keyboard to separately control the 4 available parts? Is this at all possible with any multitimbral synth?
(sorry if this is dumb and/or obvious, I'm familiar with synthesis in general, but I haven't done much multimbral layering or midi-controlling)

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Re: Multitimbral synths midi question

Post by Zarith » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:59 pm

Definitely.

In your DAW / Sequencer, just assign any controller to any MIDI parameter of any MIDI channel...

If you don't use a DAW you can still control channels separately. Most MIDI controllers can run in "ONE channel" only mode (instead of OMNI).

PreemptiveWhack

Post by PreemptiveWhack » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Fantastic, thank you!
So with just a multitimbral synth and midi controllers you could do this without needing a computer?
and what's the term for 'one channel mode' that I'd find on the specs of a controller? the novation and m-audio axiom controllers seem like they're nice enough that they would do but the websites talk mostly about DAW control instead of directly controlling a hardware synth

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:47 pm

In your MIDI controller you can select the MIDI channel or use the OMNI mode (all channels affected). In the M-Audio Axiom it's the "CHAN" button. For other controllers just search the "MIDI CHANNEL" button. This feature rarely hidden since it used quite frequently.

What set up do you have? With a list of controllers/synths, it might be easier for us to explain how to connect everything....

PreemptiveWhack

Post by PreemptiveWhack » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Well hardware wise I actually only have a roland SH-201 :/

I do a lot of synth-programming and composing with Reason and some Native Instruments programs but I want to delve more into hardware. I'm completely enamored by Vangelis and other artists/groups that use multiple synths for that semi-ambient style (also the pink floydish solo jordan rudess does at the beginning of octavarium :O )

Basically I'm trying to plan for a multi-keyboard setup where I can play different sounds on different keyboards live; the midi question was to see if buying an expensive 'master synth' to use for all sounds instead of several mid-range synths would be feasible before considering it an option.
I'm 18 and in highschool so I would need to save up for the big synth instead of saving for each mid-range synth and buying them as I go

If I'm totally nuts in doing things this way feel free to let me know, I've more or less gone synth-nuts the past year and a half so I've lost a certain amount of reasoned-thinking skills about them :D

(a mod may want to move the to buyers guide? maybe?)