Steve Winwood and the Multimoog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ItalianStallion81

Steve Winwood and the Multimoog

Post by ItalianStallion81 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:52 pm

We know that the saxophone-like synth leads we hear on the song "While You See a Chance" released on Steve Winwood's 2nd solo LP, Arc of a Diver (1980), is a Multimoog. Winwood himself confirms he used the Multimoog for the lead on "While You See a Chance."

However, would I be led to believe he also used the Multimoog for that same sax-like lead on the songs "Valerie" (1982) and "The Finer Things" (1986)? I know in the promo videos, he instead is seen with the Prophet 10 (on "Valerie") and the Yamaha DX7 (on "The Finer Things").

~Ben

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Steve Winwood and the Multimoog

Post by Micke » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Here's a quote I found from an old interview with Steve Winwood:

"For the last 2 albums I've used a Multimoog for bass and some lead lines, and a Prophet 5, a polysynthesizer made by Sequential Circuits, for most leads on Arc of a Diver. I also used a Steinway piano and a Yamaha CS-80, too, as well as a host of different guitars: an Ovation acoustic, this 1954 Fender Stratocaster, an Ibanez mandolin on a track of Arc of a Diver.

On this last album, I used the Prophet 5 exclusively, which is very limiting; I would never have dreamed that I would have found myself doing that. I just never found the need for any sound I couldn't get out of the Prophet 5. And the Multimoog is where I get the effect that everybody thinks is a saxophone. In terms of drums, I use a Haman kit, with a Ludwig snare, and a Linn Electronics, LM-1 box. Lastly, I use a Roland Vocoder and an ANS Phaser, model DMT20. By using a 16-track machine, you overcome most limitations on the part of the instruments, in addition to several of one's own shortcomings. And with my new-found wealth, I've already ordered a new 24-track custom board.

"Rock's Gentle Aristocrat"
Musician, October 1982"

So, I'd say he did use the multimoog for the lead on "Valerie" too.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Winwood does some amazing "fretless bass" playing on "Night Train," which I assume is the Multi. Very convincing.

On the other hand in the vid we get to see him play piano on a Prophet 10. :)
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

gs

Post by gs » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:01 pm

The lead sound never sounded anything like a sax to me (maybe Steve's articulation on pitch-bending makes it seem that way).... In any case I remember nailing that sound on my Korg DSS1 some years ago before selling it. I get a reasonable fascimile on my Roland JD-800. I play a number of Winwood covers including When You See A Chance.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:12 pm

my favorite winwood solo is the solo in 'low spark of high heeled boys,' which sounds kind of like a sax, but i suspect is a b3 put through distortion of some kind. the last, dissonant holding note which ends the solo and begins the end of the song is f'ing awesome.

anyone have any insights into how it was done?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:59 pm

I've read that it was a Hammond organ through a fuzz box.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:30 pm

cool sound, right?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Yeah!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:04 pm

tim gueguen wrote:Winwood does some amazing "fretless bass" playing on "Night Train," which I assume is the Multi. Very convincing.

On the other hand in the vid we get to see him play piano on a Prophet 10. :)

Very convincing indeed!

I too believe it's a Multimoog, though Steve mentions in an old keyboard interview that the bass on a couple
of the cuts was played on a Minimoog. Moreover, besides the CS-80, multi, mini and a (rented) Prophet 5 rev 2
he used a Polymoog for the repeated-note pattern on "Spanish dancer".

VCO8

Post by VCO8 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:29 am

I know this is an old thread, but was he using a CS-80 or a Prophet 5 for that unique, warm and synthetic piano sound on TBTTN?