A MYTH?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tim gueguen

Re: A MYTH?

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:2) The best way to find out is to ask someone who has played both Tridents. The odds of you finding that person are very slim. I'd start asking VERY experienced synth techs.
Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson might be other possibilities. Joe Randomguy might have trouble getting a response from them I suspect.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:34 am

nathanscribe wrote:Yep, maybe if we keep saying "the Jupe 8 has the same crappy chip as the PH-2 phaser" the price will go down and I can buy one...
I think you may be onto something...start reframing the Jupe 8...I am kicking myself for not buying a semi functioning one a few years ago for $1200...but that seemed like a s**t ton of $ for a non fully functioning synth...

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:46 pm

philip wrote: Well I think the reason could be in voices calibration, one juno was slightly detune maybe,that could possibly made it sound warmer. And "silver barred juno 60's,"-could u post some photos,just curious how does it look like.
this could very well be the case! i'm assuming you mean photo's of it's synth guts?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

gs

Post by gs » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:47 pm

The only reason IMO that the Jupiter is so prohibitively expensive is that Roland produced SO FEW of them. Only a few thousand units if I'm not mistaken. As a polysynth, it never sounded anything special to me. I'd much prefer a classic vintage American polysynth like a Prophet 5 or Oberheim OBXa. I had the JX10 for a few years, it was nice but again produced nothing special that I couldn't get from a similar-spec'd DCO synth of that time.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:43 pm

gs wrote:The only reason IMO that the Jupiter is so prohibitively expensive is that Roland produced SO FEW of them. Only a few thousand units if I'm not mistaken.
I'd go with the mystique as a major ingredient. Quantity alone is not the deciding factor.
I had the JX10 for a few years, it was nice but again produced nothing special that I couldn't get from a similar-spec'd DCO synth of that time.
How many 12-voice analogue DCO polys with split and layer, AT keyboard, MIDI and multiple outputs were there? I think the JX-10 is an under-rated unit that has mostly escaped the same price hikes for the same mojo-based reasons the Jupiters have not (relentless VCO v DCO arguments notwithstanding).