WaldorfXT is collecting dust while I use Virus TI. Opinions?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Afamily
Gear: Virus TI, SE1x (Angel Dust) and a Silver Laptop with an Apple on it.
Band: TIPOL

WaldorfXT is collecting dust while I use Virus TI. Opinions?

Post by Afamily » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:57 am

So, lately, I've been on a rather great streak of pumping out a good flow of material and have ended up w/ 3 solid songs that I really enjoy. However, those pieces have been w/ my latest duo, the

SE1x(angel dust) and my oh so lovely Virus TI.

My question is, do you guys think I'm missing out on a sonic texture that I could add to my mix, that I can't touch on w/ my TI? The TI's been a godsend for workflow and recalling of patches w/in ableton projects etc. And I have no plans of keeping it out of my mix anytime soon. Truth is I really have never stepped far inside the XT's capabilities and I have the cookbook, but just haven't got around to diving in.

Just curious on the VSE's opinions!

My material produced atm, is trip-hop esque w/ some heavy analog leads from the SE1x and other ethereal pads and such from the TI. W/ 808ish beats... and what not. :geek:
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: WaldorfXT is collecting dust while I use Virus TI. Opini

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:22 am

Spend a weekend getting intimate with the XT. If you can't find a place for it in your tracks then yeah I'd get rid of it. Trim the fat.

Afamily

Post by Afamily » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 am

tekkentool wrote:Spend a weekend getting intimate with the XT. If you can't find a place for it in your tracks then yeah I'd get rid of it. Trim the fat.
I concur. I also understand that it's a dedicated wavetable synth, which has had rave reviews and performances. But, to be honest, I have sat down w/ this machine and began digging and just didn't really hear anything too "unique" that I haven't heard on my Virus. But my "digging" was meddling w/ the LFO's and changing the wavetable settings. I like alot of movement in my patches. But really couldn't coax anything of interest out of it. My abilities at Wavetable manipulation and understanding aren't the greatest at the moment.

I also may keep it on hand just in case. I didn't pay much for it, and it's not burning a hole in the floor, just yet.
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 am

If you don't get what you want out of the XT, sell it. Put the money into something you've always wanted to try, something you need, etc. FWIW I liked the sound of the XT but not the interface. Plus, the number of times I want a wavetable sound, it wasn't worth keeping around for.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 pm

What the others said.

However, the TI has a pretty muffled upper end that the XT can fill in quite nicely.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:05 pm

I am a real believer in selling gear I don't use so from that point of view I would get rid of the XT, however as mentioned it does sound a little different to the SE1 and Virus in that it has that digital sparkle that both the SE as a real analogue and the Virus as a pretend analogue lack.

I love Waldorf gear, it is deep and inspiring at times, my Blofeld sits well with my Virus and there is very little sonic overlap between the two. I think the Microwaves are great to have around, maybe worth keeping for your next lot of work, after all I do not use every synth on every track just because I have more than one or two.
You always want just one more Synth!

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:54 am

Synthacon wrote: my Blofeld sits well with my Virus and there is very little sonic overlap between the two.
Agreed.

Don't get rid of it just yet, unless you really need the cash.

Try doubling up sequences of your other synths with the XT - the synergy of two (or three... or four.... ) different synths playing the same notes is often more than the sums of its parts. Sometimes it can overpower a track, but easily fixable with the right combo.

Yum.
d**k Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com

Afamily

Post by Afamily » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:20 am

RetroSynthAds wrote:
Synthacon wrote: my Blofeld sits well with my Virus and there is very little sonic overlap between the two.
Agreed.

Don't get rid of it just yet, unless you really need the cash.

Try doubling up sequences of your other synths with the XT - the synergy of two (or three... or four.... ) different synths playing the same notes is often more than the sums of its parts. Sometimes it can overpower a track, but easily fixable with the right combo.

Yum.

I'll try that out, thte thing is, I haven't really been able to identify what it is I want out of a wavetable synth. I'll dress her up w/ some effects and see what comes out. And situate some modulations.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:52 am

I don't think I could go back to a synth without wavetables anymore.

Mino
Gear: Waldorf Q & XT & Streichfett
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Post by Mino » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:22 am

If you want higher bit wavetables, you might try Blofeld, which has 16 bit Microwave wavetables, or you can get an analog filter of your choice to soften up the sound (a la PPG, XT has filter bypass afaik) , if it's sounding too harsh.

I'm not a fan of selling very flexible synths, they require some deep research and tweaking, but at the end, they are really worth the effort.