HOw you know aftertouch on JX8p/10p work?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scottf

HOw you know aftertouch on JX8p/10p work?

Post by Scottf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Whats a gaurranteed way of knowing for sure(if aftertouch is working), I'm looking to by one and need the seller to answer that one!

THKs

101 Force

Re: HOw you know aftertouch on JX8p/10p work?

Post by 101 Force » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Aftertouch on the JX-8P / JX-10 / MKS-70 can be routed to vibrato or filter resonance. If it's the only thing routed to either one of these parameters it's an effect that is very easy to recognize as working properly.
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:14 pm

can also be set to affect the volume.

all the guy had to do is put "vibrato" on in the AT Type select and press the keys hard on soundtrack patch for example and see if it works - if it's not been fixed specifically in the last 10 years then it's prob not working. I fixed mine (now sold) and it worked beautifully afterwards - the best AT I had on a keyboard of mine, very progressive.. not on/off like later synths (the rubber strip helped here).

Oh and make sure he has the aftertouch slider fully up before saying it doesn't work! :mrgreen:

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:40 pm

If the seller doesn't know, I'd say there's about a 95% chance it doesn't work. This problem is infamous on the 8P (but not a showstopper… a DIY fixer). The seller would probably know all about this function if it had been fixed.

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Cool guys, THANkS

So, it is an easy fix? I know a technician locally, I myself prob wouldn't be "up" for it

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:24 pm

You try it.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Scottf wrote:Cool guys, THANkS

So, it is an easy fix? I know a technician locally, I myself prob wouldn't be "up" for it
It's more of a cleaning job than a fixing job, if you have any patience ant don't mind opening a synth up then you can manage it.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:48 pm

I've done that job on the JX-8P myself a long time ago, it's a simple cleaning job, as Stabby said, you need patience in disassembling the synth,
if your not sure, follow the instructions on the link below:

http://analog.no/cms/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=54
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Scottf

Post by Scottf » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Cool guys cheers!

ianjhicks
Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Post by ianjhicks » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 am

thought id resurrect this post as i'm currently trying to fix the AT on a jx8p.. ive followed the directions in the link above.. putting it back together is a complete b***h tho.. the conductive rubber strips dont want to stay put, the double sided tape has lost its stickiness and above all it doesnt seem like this fixed the aftertouch.. I can tell how it should work because when the contact strips slide around the metal ribbon makes contact with the brass and it activates the AT... anyway, i'm frustrated.. should i get glue to put on the spot where the double-sided tape was? any tips would be welcome

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:30 am

I've had problems fixing mine too. My problem is that the rubber piece doesn't fit back completely over the whole strip assembly, so my top key or two ends up not work when reassembled. Maybe the rubber piece stretched (contracted) slightly over time? Not sure. I would love for someone to take a photo of what the rubber piece looks like on each end before being disassembled, but it's hard to find someone that has the synth open but not yet disassembled completely. i just don't remember what it looked like from square one which would help me immensely in knowing how to put this baby back together again the right way.

Anyway, on the tape issue… what I did was to simply apply a new piece of double sided tape over the original. the original didn't appear to be anything space aged, so I used plain old double sided transparent tape from the local school/office supply store. seems to work similarly.

when you get things aligned just so and get it back together, there's no mistaking how well it works. if you use the graphite trick from the web instructions, it works great! maybe even too great.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:29 pm

ianjhicks wrote:thought id resurrect this post as i'm currently trying to fix the AT on a jx8p.. ive followed the directions in the link above.. putting it back together is a complete b***h tho.. the conductive rubber strips dont want to stay put, the double sided tape has lost its stickiness and above all it doesnt seem like this fixed the aftertouch.. I can tell how it should work because when the contact strips slide around the metal ribbon makes contact with the brass and it activates the AT... anyway, i'm frustrated.. should i get glue to put on the spot where the double-sided tape was? any tips would be welcome
I feel your pain, man. I too tried the fix, and no matter how careful I was with the reassembly, it still didn't rectify the problem. Now whenever I need AT from my JX, I just control it with my ASR, as MIDI AT still works fine.

ianjhicks
Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Post by ianjhicks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:09 am

whats the graphite trick? anyone got a link>?

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by EmptySet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 am

The graphite "trick" is where you throughly clean the white conductive rubber strips (w/ rubbing alcohol and a q-tip) and then lightly spray graphite onto the pieces of conductive rubber. graphite comes in small tubes of powder that you can find at any hardware store (look near the keys, as it is also used for sticking housekeys). anyway, i'm pretty sure one of the more famous writeups about the JX8P fix describes this solution. basically the gist is that those conductive pieces of rubber become less conductive because of dirt, grime, etc… some have suggested simply cleaning, but one article i read added using graphite powder in addition and for me it worked GREAT. (maybe too great even… it's really quite sensitive now).

hope this helps

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by EmptySet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:08 am

forgot one little tidbit. some people have even gone so far as to grind up pencil lead and use that for the graphite. but a couple bucks at the hardware store will get you better quality graphite. (the pencil lead trick does work in a pinch though… just not as well as the tube from the store)