Mini Moog tuning

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Skiroy

Mini Moog tuning

Post by Skiroy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:25 pm

I really want a Mini Moog Model D but someone was telling me they are a pain because they are always out of tune.

So my question is how often do you have to tune them and how is it done? And what tools are needed.?

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Mini Moog tuning

Post by rhino » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Welcome to the board.

Others may disagree, but I'd say : On the road - before each show. In the studio (or home) 4-6 months.

Yes, it's a PITA (times three - once for each oscillator). There is a tuning stabilization kit that you can install that can help.

Here is one (of a million) tuning guides:

http://www.hylander.com/images/schemati ... svc_us.pdf
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Skiroy wrote:I really want a Mini Moog Model D but someone was telling me they are a pain because they are always out of tune.

So my question is how often do you have to tune them and how is it done? And what tools are needed.?
People are rarely clear about how they mean "out of tune..." Many mean it is a pain to have to tune the oscillators as in turn the tuning knobs to put them in tune. And that's stupid. Others may mean actually ranging and scaling the oscillators, which isn't fun, but isn't particularly horrifying, either. I still haven't had to do it to my Minimoog, and I've had it since 2002-2003 or so.

They are not "always out of tune." They may need tuning when you turn them on, and they may need a touch-up depending on how long you're using one. It varies from Minimoog to Minimoog. But if a Minimoog is "always out of tune," it's not because it's a Minimoog, it's because it needs repair.

You're also always hearing the "someone opened a door in the room, and the Minimoog went out of tune" story, too. I'd remind anyone that the electronics of a Minimoog are enclosed in a metal box, and if it were that easy for air to just get INTO that metal box (or, indeed ANY metal box), it'd be a lot easier to cool electronic devices and fans wouldn't be necessary. For the temperature of a room to change the operating temperature of electronics from where they've stabilized after being on for a bit in that room, the change would have to be pretty drastic... and the electronics would have to be at the very LEAST somewhat exposed to the air of the room.. as opposed to being in a relatively enclosed metal box (in which the heat of the electronic components present is being maintained- unless the room SUCKS OUT THE AIR CONTENTS OF THE BOX THROUGH THE HEADPHONE JACK).
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

goom

Post by goom » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:05 am

I think each Minimoog will be different in regards to how often tuning will be needed. My Mini has had the same tuning for about 4 years, and it still rocks. No problems with tuning at all.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:10 am

I think probably when people say they never stay in tune they are using a fair bit of hyperbole.

They're probably just used to using digital boards, I will say I do tune my mini more than any other analog I have but no more than a guitar needs the same attention. People are just lazy (me included) ;)

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:26 am

I don't mind tuning anything as long as I have an A440 tone handy, and the Mini has one built in.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:13 pm

I should also say that if mine went out of tune every five minutes, it'd STILL BE WORTH IT. :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:55 pm

as long as i keep my odyssey in the same environment, it stays in tune. when i take it somewhere, i alwayse have to retune it, and sometimes it needs to warm up before the tuning really sticks. it's more annoying than tuning my guitars because i got so used to tuning the guitars it's second nature and i don't think about it. also, my tuning sliders on the odyssey are jumpier than my machine heads.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:59 pm

In the 5 years i have had mine i have only had to tune it twice. A good working mini is a very stable machine

I only use it at home so this may be another story if out on the road. If you did have to tune it though it's a very simple job

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 pm

I think each Minimoog is different, perhaps thats why they are good, i recently got mine under a bed out after 5yrs covered in dust, and it still sounded okay upon power on with the A440 i cant see much of a problem.
yamoto773

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am

Back in the day, when keyboardists gigged with a Minimoog every night, and needed two (one to play on and the other to program for the next song while still playing the current song), then yeah, you'd have problems.

From my experience, just let it warm up for 10-15 minutes before you play it and you're good to go for the rest of the gig/session.

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 am

So can I hook it up to protools and use the chromatic tuner to do this for the oscillators?

And is there a tuning knob on the front of the moog? I thought this was just to detune the wave for a fuller sound. Its not a matter of just turning back to zero point? Can some one explain all this tuning business?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 am

There are three tuning knobs on the front. One of them is the master tuning knob which affects all oscillators, but is the one you'd use to tune the first oscillator. Then there are tuning knobs for the second and third oscillators, which you could effectively tune to the first oscillator, if you wanted to. The Minimoog comes with an A440 switch on the front. If you're lucky, the A440 oscillator in the one you buy will be in tune, and you can just tune the oscillators to it. Just switch it on, listen, and go. My A440 is not A440, so I don't use it.

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Im sorry but I dont understand why it need to be tuned. What throws and electronic piece of equipment out of tune?

And can I not just run the line outs into my DAW with a tuner on it and tune it that way?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Skiroy wrote:Im sorry but I dont understand why it need to be tuned. What throws and electronic piece of equipment out of tune?
Someone with an electronics background will undoubtedly answer this more specifically...
VCOs are inconstant in pitch. They vary from moment to moment, and they drift out of tune over time due to external factors and their own design. This fact is NOT a negative... this is why they sound good.
I have a suspicion you're going to be sad that modulations aren't MIDI-syncable, too. The LFO in the Minimoog is VCO 3, and subject to changes in frequency as a result.
Skiroy wrote:And can I not just run the line outs into my DAW with a tuner on it and tune it that way?
You can tune it with anything you want. I use a cheap old Korg guitar tuner.