ARP 2600 questions: patch cables / voltage

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
username

ARP 2600 questions: patch cables / voltage

Post by username » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:17 am

my friend is letting me borrow an ARP 2600 that hasn't been used in years. just curious, will it take normal 1/8 mini or something else? i assume it's easy enough to wire up my own, but are there any caveats? I have a ton of doepfer cables. can it use those? what about inter-voltage issues between a 2600 and a eurorack?

CZ Rider

Re: ARP 2600 questions: patch cables / voltage

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:39 am

username wrote:my friend is letting me borrow an ARP 2600 that hasn't been used in years. just curious, will it take normal 1/8 mini or something else?
Unless it is modified,an Arp 2600 used Switchcraft Tini-jax. They are .141" and very close to the 3.5mm that euro systems use. YMMV as many users swap in 3.5mm without any problems. Usually the problem is the tip on the 3.5mm sometimes does not have the correct width to disengage the switching type 42 Switchcraft jacks. Or touching a patch cord might trigger an intermittent connection. But it should do no harm to use 3.5mm patch cords with a Tini-jax system like the Arp/Aries/Buchla. But I would not plug a .141" Switchcraft patchcord into a 3.5mm euro jack. The Tini-jax are about 3.58mm dia.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:45 am

CZ Rider wrote:
username wrote:my friend is letting me borrow an ARP 2600 that hasn't been used in years. just curious, will it take normal 1/8 mini or something else?
Unless it is modified,an Arp 2600 used Switchcraft Tini-jax. They are .141" and very close to the 3.5mm that euro systems use. YMMV as many users swap in 3.5mm without any problems. Usually the problem is the tip on the 3.5mm sometimes does not have the correct width to disengage the switching type 42 Switchcraft jacks. Or touching a patch cord might trigger an intermittent connection.
THANK YOU. This explains EVERYTHING!!! I was sure my jacks had just become loose with age!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:31 pm

i had no idea! i've got a bunch of tini-jax cables for my Buchla, i'll give 'em a try.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm

xpander wrote:i had no idea! i've got a bunch of tini-jax cables for my Buchla, i'll give 'em a try.
Are these things still made? Does anyone have a source for them?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

thermite zapruder
Gear: ARP 2600
EMU SSM Card Kit
Prophet 600
Evolver
ESQ-1
Juno 6
Alpha Juno 2
JV-1010
Crumar Performer
EMU e6400 ultra
MPC2000xl
SK-1
SK-5
Band: Thermite Zapruder

Post by thermite zapruder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:05 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
xpander wrote:i had no idea! i've got a bunch of tini-jax cables for my Buchla, i'll give 'em a try.
Did you ever find a source for them?

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:25 am

CZ Rider wrote:
Unless it is modified,an Arp 2600 used Switchcraft Tini-jax. They are .141" and very close to the 3.5mm that euro systems use. YMMV as many users swap in 3.5mm without any problems. Usually the problem is the tip on the 3.5mm sometimes does not have the correct width to disengage the switching type 42 Switchcraft jacks. Or touching a patch cord might trigger an intermittent connection. But it should do no harm to use 3.5mm patch cords with a Tini-jax system like the Arp/Aries/Buchla. But I would not plug a .141" Switchcraft patchcord into a 3.5mm euro jack. The Tini-jax are about 3.58mm dia.
This, plus corroded connectors within the switching jacks which hardly make any contact at all -- or too much contact which can render entire sections of the instrument unusable (i. e. when unplugging, the jack still behaves as if something was plugged in).

I had nearly all jacks replaced on my 2600. Now it's working quite the way it should -- sort of.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

thermite zapruder
Gear: ARP 2600
EMU SSM Card Kit
Prophet 600
Evolver
ESQ-1
Juno 6
Alpha Juno 2
JV-1010
Crumar Performer
EMU e6400 ultra
MPC2000xl
SK-1
SK-5
Band: Thermite Zapruder

Post by thermite zapruder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:33 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
I had nearly all jacks replaced on my 2600. Now it's working quite the way it should -- sort of.

Stephen
Are the new jacks Tini-Jax and, if so, do you have a source for the cables?

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:49 am

thermite zapruder wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

Stephen
Are the new jacks Tini-Jax and, if so, do you have a source for the cables?
The new jacks were manufactured by Switchcraft but they were not called Tini-Jax. It was the standard 1/8" type of jack that works well with my other cables (original ARP cables and self-made ones).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:00 am

thermite zapruder wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Did you ever find a source for them?
Digikey still has Tini-Plug and Tini-Jax in stock, if you're up for rolling your own cables.

See here.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:17 am

The cables labeled as audio cables are the ones as well.
http://www.buchla.com/product-category/accessories/