Japan-later period synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Japan-later period synths

Post by Micke » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:20 pm

It looks like a casio mt-40.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Cybercardinal wrote:Mick Karn on the OB-X (Bass must have been taped?)

What's that little keybaord thingie on top of the OB-X?

well, thats Peter Murphy (of Bauhaus of course) not Japan.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Micke wrote:This is one of my absolute favorite Japan songs:

time for some dancing parenthesis yeah :dancer:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

James Mandible

Post by James Mandible » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:59 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
Cybercardinal wrote:Mick Karn on the OB-X (Bass must have been taped?)

What's that little keybaord thingie on top of the OB-X?

well, thats Peter Murphy (of Bauhaus of course) not Japan.
It's Peter and Karn's project Dali's Car

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:26 am

Micke wrote:It looks like a casio mt-40.
Great! Thanks Micke. Amazing that little plastic box is delivering that special vibe. I love that record.

5 new tracks from Dalis Car on the way: http://mickkarn.net/

RIP Mick Karn

mizu
Gear: Casio MA-101 (going to buy a synth to replace that toy keyboard)
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Why hasn't anyone mentioned YMO?

Heavy user of prophet 5

Not much of a Yamaha Lover, if you see there items are not yamaha the most famous cheap item they used was a roland tr 808.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:45 pm

This is like a demo for the Prophet 5 rev 2 (all played by Ryuichi Sakamoto):

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:19 pm

mizu wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned YMO?

Heavy user of prophet 5

Not much of a Yamaha Lover, if you see there items are not yamaha the most famous cheap item they used was a roland tr 808.

I have kind of mixed feelings about YMO. They have Ryuchi Sakamoto so it must be good right? I seem to recall liking them at some point in the 80s. But when I look at videos like this I hear very uninspiring timbres and what sounds like standard jpop, minus vocals.

As far as Dali's car, I was never a big Bauhaus fan, less so of Peter Murphy Solo. I tried liking Dalis car but I felt like Mick was under playing. Like on that video, the bass line has to be the siomplest most repetitive thing I ever heard come from Mick Karn. One of the only ones I can play all the way through on bass!
But hey, either way it isn't Japan so it doesnt really answer the question about late period Japan synths.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Micke wrote:Ghosts is not all about the P5 though,, the OB-X and system 700 lab are also featured in this song
Thanks Micke, I always wondered about this. I never noticed the OB-X on "Oil On Canvas" until you guys pointed it out. Barbieri has got this look on his face during the concert like "Please stay in tune!!!"
I just love the sound of the Prophet. There is a YouTube video of someone playing a broken Prophet 5 and it STILL sounds great, like John Carpenter just messing around.
calaverasgrande wrote:As far as Dali's car, I was never a big Bauhaus fan, less so of Peter Murphy Solo. I tried liking Dalis car but I felt like Mick was under playing.
Even his first solo album "Titles" has got way more bass action on it than Dali's Car (it also features the rare Movement drum machine). This was around the time Mick Karn decided to put the bass more in the background, focusing more on composing. He did this until his 3rd solo album "Bestial Cluster" where he brought the bass more to the lead role again. I can't say enough about Mick Karn (RIP), his bass playing is funky, weird and deceptivley simple.

The best Bauhaus album for me is "Sky's Gone Out", it's total dark experimental post-punk. I can't believe they got away with releasing some of the stuff that's on there. Not much synth action on it but plenty of creativity, strange guitar treatments, studio and tape tricks.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:57 am

yeah I am well familiar with the whole Bauhaus canon. It was kind of de rigeur if you were dating black clad chicks in the 80's.

mizu
Gear: Casio MA-101 (going to buy a synth to replace that toy keyboard)
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:43 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
mizu wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned YMO?

Heavy user of prophet 5

I have kind of mixed feelings about YMO. They have Ryuchi Sakamoto so it must be good right? I seem to recall liking them at some point in the 80s. But when I look at videos like this I hear very uninspiring timbres and what sounds like standard jpop, minus vocals.

As far as Dali's car, I was never a big Bauhaus fan, less so of Peter Murphy Solo. I tried liking Dalis car but I felt like Mick was under playing. Like on that video, the bass line has to be the siomplest most repetitive thing I ever heard come from Mick Karn. One of the only ones I can play all the way through on bass!
But hey, either way it isn't Japan so it doesnt really answer the question about late period Japan synths.
I would say J Pop is having stupider music these days. I don't understand AKB 48 er something. I also like kraftwerk btw

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:23 pm

visceralvoids wrote:
Micke wrote:Ghosts is not all about the P5 though,, the OB-X and system 700 lab are also featured in this song
Thanks Micke, I always wondered about this. I never noticed the OB-X on "Oil On Canvas" until you guys pointed it out. Barbieri has got this look on his face during the concert like "Please stay in tune!!!"
I just love the sound of the Prophet. There is a YouTube video of someone playing a broken Prophet 5 and it STILL sounds great, like John Carpenter just messing around.
You're welcome :)

You can see Barbieri playing the OB-X in this video clip too (from 2:32-2:38):

Note the Prophet 10 in the background.

About 75% of the synth sounds on Oil On Canvas are OB-X.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:00 pm

visceralvoids wrote: I just love the sound of the Prophet. There is a YouTube video of someone playing a broken Prophet 5 and it STILL sounds great, like John Carpenter just messing around.
So do I, and I love John Carpenter's movies/scores too.

japan

Post by japan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:37 am

It's "Sylvian", not "Sylvain", btw. We are talking about Japan, not New York Dolls... :D
"the simple life is no longer there..."

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Right you are!