Most Unreliable, Finicky Digital Synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Most Unreliable, Finicky Digital Synth?

Post by Bitexion » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 am

I've read that the OSC Oscar was the most unstable digital synth of all time. It would glitch out or crash at any given moment. Yet still it was loved for its deep sound.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 am

I've got a Wave 2.3 that had a lot of work done to it and needs more, but I don't want to sink any more money into it.

My 2.2's filter gets weird from time to time - usually after it's been on for a while.

I can't say I've really had much issues with other digital synths.

Grentzmann
Gear: MKS70/PG800, XV5080, PCR500, SCI Prophet VS, Moog Voyager XL, Drumstation,
HR-16B, E4XT, DEP5x2,MDX2000, ATR1, Blackjack, Cubase.

Post by Grentzmann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Ok.. Plywood or Chipboard.. :-) But still..

But if the synths sounds good, then (I think) it's worth to look aside from the building quality.
Just put some money aside for service once and awhile.

I had a Polysix back in the 90's... I should never had sold it. Not when I look at the prices
they are sold for today.
Kindly regards
Grentzmann
XV5080/MKS30/PG200/MKS70/PG800/PCR500/DEP-5x2/E4XT/ESI32/SCI Prophet VS/MOOG Voayager XL/Drumstation/HR16-B/DBX2000/ATR-1/Onyx Blackjack/Cubase.

Grentzmann
Gear: MKS70/PG800, XV5080, PCR500, SCI Prophet VS, Moog Voyager XL, Drumstation,

Post by Grentzmann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 pm

balma wrote:
Grentzmann wrote:Hi to all of you.

My top 3 worst synth, and its simpel.:

1.: Ensoniq, everything they ever made. sounds like s**t, bad building quality/components, OS with failure's.
I do not know one person who have had a new ensoniq, that has'ent returned it for repair within the first 6 month. When I see one today used, I think... poor buyer...
Well, know me Sir... had three Ensoniqs during the last 20 years and no one gave me problems, have a Fizmo today and will never ever sell it.

And normally, s**t comes out from the hands and brains of mediocre players, not from the synth.
I have owned the Mirage. c**p sampler. I have owned the SQ-1 from new. Broke down 8 times in one year. Then sold it as it sounded like c**p and had basically no filters. The ASR's are c**p. They fall apart. If you got the Fizmo in module form then you MIGHT be lucky that it holds together. The sound is another thing...
Kindly regards
Grentzmann
XV5080/MKS30/PG200/MKS70/PG800/PCR500/DEP-5x2/E4XT/ESI32/SCI Prophet VS/MOOG Voayager XL/Drumstation/HR16-B/DBX2000/ATR-1/Onyx Blackjack/Cubase.

Grentzmann

Post by Grentzmann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:05 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:
silikon wrote: ...While it's not "digital"
See also THIS.
For this argument, I don't care how it "makes it sound" it's just pieces you expect to work well because they're digital (or digitally controlled). The reason why I asked about andromeda is because even though it's analog oscillators - some have complained about a buggy OS. I guess you could find A bug in nearly every OS, but for all intents and purposes, I thought it'd be good to get a thread going of quirky machines, especially because of the wealth of knowledge on this forum (automaticgainsay....). If we put our heads together, things that might have otherwise been overlooked might not be. And I think the reliability of certain digital machines gets overlooked because "it's digital".

and as far as the eps16+ - I actually am speaking from experience (though very little). I had one with the scsi, and it was just overwhelming. Now that's me (beings as i'm 24) growing up in the computer age and looking backwards. As opposed to being forced to work with it and now looking backwards. FWIW - I think the eps16+ is hugely capable specs-wise, and is a total monster for what it is. it overwhelmed me trying to work with floppies and scsi disks (couldn't get my drive to work right.....) and trying to figure the darn thing out to be able to sequence with it effectively. It's like admiring a t-rex. it's a dinosaur, but it's a T-REX! :D

Things like mpc4k os (silikon did you have any success with the alternate os's?) and "dry joints on the eps power supply" is exactly the purpose of this thread methinks. Obviously, the thread is ruled by the people involved, but I really wanted to gather the interesting tidbits of digital synth knowledge. We could all talk until we're blue in the voice about juno chips and polymoog voice cards. For this purpose I'm more interested in the uniquities of products that are supposed to be otherwise stable.

(bonus points for office space fax machine smashing scene. Fax machines are digital, so it counts.)
It could be funny if Microsoft made a synth... Bugs in the OS.... ;)
Kindly regards
Grentzmann

gslug
Gear: Jupiter 6, Juno 106, MKS-50, DX7, TX81Z, Emulator II (dead), DPX-1, EPS 16 Plus, x0xb0x, Shruthi, TR-707, 9090, MIDIbox MB6582, MIDIbox Seq V4

Post by gslug » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 am

Grentzmann wrote:Ok.. Plywood or Chipboard.. :-) But still..
:mrgreen:
Grentzmann wrote:But if the synths sounds good, then (I think) it's worth to look aside from the building quality.
Just put some money aside for service once and awhile.
I agree. I brought a basket case Emulator II late last year. I'm part way through fixing it and it will take a while yet, but I am prepared to spend the time and money (when I have it :lol: ), because the E II sounds amazing. It's the same with my car. It is 20 years old and requires regular repairs, but is fun to drive.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:02 am

Grentzmann wrote:
balma wrote:
Grentzmann wrote:Hi to all of you.

My top 3 worst synth, and its simpel.:

1.: Ensoniq, everything they ever made. sounds like s**t, bad building quality/components, OS with failure's.
I do not know one person who have had a new ensoniq, that has'ent returned it for repair within the first 6 month. When I see one today used, I think... poor buyer...
Well, know me Sir... had three Ensoniqs during the last 20 years and no one gave me problems, have a Fizmo today and will never ever sell it.

And normally, s**t comes out from the hands and brains of mediocre players, not from the synth.
I have owned the Mirage. c**p sampler. I have owned the SQ-1 from new. Broke down 8 times in one year. Then sold it as it sounded like c**p and had basically no filters. The ASR's are c**p. They fall apart. If you got the Fizmo in module form then you MIGHT be lucky that it holds together. The sound is another thing...
Funny that they are so crappy, but hundreds if not thousands of people still manage to use Ensoniq gear all the time...

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:21 am

rhino wrote:Never owned any of these, but I heard that three of the worst may be:
1) ARP Avatar. Said to have had about a 200% failure rate - that is almost every unit was sent back to ARP for repair at least twice.

2) MOOG Polymoog. Bleeding-edge technology plus clueless non-Moog techs resulted in ultra-short MTBFs.

3) Siel DS-2. Poor quality capacitors and bad soldering QC sank this one.

4) Not the same --- but I wish KORG had invested in metal or plastic cabinets on the PolySix: One good bump or one spilled drink and the fakewood crumbled back to sawdust.
Very digital these are, indeed.

PPG Wave, anybody? Or a PPG 1003 Sonic Carrier, perchance? Or a PPG 350 Computer Sequencer? Or a PPG 340/380 Wave Computer/Event Generator with OS booting from Braemar microdrives?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/