Aren't we due for a new Yamaha QY module?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Aren't we due for a new Yamaha QY module?

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm

I was browsing Yamaha's website and noticed that the QY100 is still in production. This is one of my favorite pieces of gear and gets a lot of use from me in and out of the studio. It is a great sounding module that is very flexible, but it is starting to show its age.

Anyone care to speculate on the probability of a new QY series module? It would be nice to see the same look/feel with an updated Motif sound set. Adding X0X-style drum/note programming would be nice too.

In this day of netbooks and tablets, I'm guessing Yamaha thinks the market for a new QY module is shrinking, but I can see the appeal of such a module.

Wishful thinking?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Aren't we due for a new Yamaha QY module?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Wishful thinking indeed...the QY100 dates back to pre-Motif days. After introducing one QY model after another on a regular basis, I'm amazed they are still selling the QY100. The "PC interface" and SM slot are obsolete, can you still run the librarian software on modern computers?

Nice box, though. I'd be interested in a new QY with a Motif synth engine. Well, if it wasn't too expensive ;)

I still have a QY-10 but I haven't turned it on in a looooong time.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 pm

I haven't tried to run the lib software in ages, so I have no idea if it would work on a modern computer. I think the "PC interface" is RS232 which definitely dates the machine.

Another quirk of the QY100 - take it on a plane and plan to have your carry-on inspected :lol: Better to take it out like you would a laptop. There is something about its internals that sets off the TSA inspectors every time.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 am

They always get sketchy when they see a device they haven't seen before.. I took an sp-404 in my carry-on once and the guy wasn't gonna let me go, I had to show him what all the buttons said and stuff.. ridiculous.. and this was packed inside a bag full of other stuff, in a box, unopened.. So it took me like 10 minutes to get it out

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:38 am

I wonder if it really is still in production, or if Yamaha just doesn't have a bunch in a wearhouse someplace.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:11 am

cartesia wrote:They always get sketchy when they see a device they haven't seen before.. I took an sp-404 in my carry-on once and the guy wasn't gonna let me go, I had to show him what all the buttons said and stuff.. ridiculous.. and this was packed inside a bag full of other stuff, in a box, unopened.. So it took me like 10 minutes to get it out
I find they can be hit and miss flying between Melbourne and Sydney with gear. I've had guys say, 'don't worry we see a lot of musicians flying with stuff' when I've started explaining what something was, and I've seen a friend have a 1/4" lead taken out of her bag (only one particular one mind you, they were fine with the rest of them) and taken to a supervisor to check if it was too pointy to fly with. I think some of the guys must get a bit restless or feel like they aren't doing their job properly if they don't give somebody's bag a good going over every 15 minutes or so.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 am

StepLogik wrote:I was browsing Yamaha's website and noticed that the QY100 is still in production. This is one of my favorite pieces of gear and gets a lot of use from me in and out of the studio. It is a great sounding module that is very flexible, but it is starting to show its age.

Anyone care to speculate on the probability of a new QY series module? It would be nice to see the same look/feel with an updated Motif sound set. Adding X0X-style drum/note programming would be nice too.

In this day of netbooks and tablets, I'm guessing Yamaha thinks the market for a new QY module is shrinking, but I can see the appeal of such a module.

Wishful thinking?
I predict the next "QY module" will be an iPad app.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:22 am

meatballfulton wrote:I'd be interested in a new QY with a Motif synth engine. Well, if it wasn't too expensive ;)
Yes, I'd love to see that, perhaps with a sampler and other engines too. Also a USB port for a great looking editor, so it can be edited and sequenced from a pc and can be stand alone too. May be with some Cubase and Loopmash goodness. Also to make it different from the current touch screen stuffs like iphone, etc, knobs, ribbon, buttons and other controllers are welcome.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 pm

tim gueguen wrote:I wonder if it really is still in production, or if Yamaha just doesn't have a bunch in a wearhouse someplace.
Both Amazon and Guitar Center have them in stock at regular "street" prices. I've yet to see anyone blow them out because Yamaha is liquidating its inventory. Of course, that doesn't mean they aren't sitting on a warehouse full. My guess is that it is still a popular-selling instrument.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:24 pm

I had a Yamaha QY70. I bought it in 1998.

I think it was a revolutionary little machine when it was released. A 16 tracks compact sequencer with a sound engine, effects, and a very nice large screen. The GM sounds were good and the drum kits were excellent. I also liked the filter. It was until 2000 my main MIDI sequencer!

I was however disappointed by the next generation. The QY100 was not a very good update. It only offered, as extra, a mic input with amp simulator and smart media storage. I was expecting more, at least a little sampler or a better sound engine. I felt the QY100 was already outdated when it was released...

I would also like to get a new QY module, but I feel it's a bit too late now. It would be too expensive for Yamaha to build a worthwhile stand alone unit. And I doubt people would buy it...

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:16 pm

elsongs wrote: I predict the next "QY module" will be an iPad app.
This seems more likely :( The iPad doesn't have anywhere near the amount of DSP processing power to give the type of sounds like in a proper workstation like the Motif. I'm not sure if it could emulate the XG engine used the QY series, maybe.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:27 pm

There's already a Tenori-On app for $20. I'm sure most Tenori-On owners are none too pleased.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:39 pm

StepLogik wrote:My guess is that it is still a popular-selling instrument.
I wonder who is buying them?

When used ones show up, they aren't cheap either.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Zarith wrote:I had a Yamaha QY70. I bought it in 1998.

I think it was a revolutionary little machine when it was released. A 16 tracks compact sequencer with a sound engine, effects, and a very nice large screen. The GM sounds were good and the drum kits were excellent. I also liked the filter. It was until 2000 my main MIDI sequencer!

I was however disappointed by the next generation. The QY100 was not a very good update. It only offered, as extra, a mic input with amp simulator and smart media storage. I was expecting more, at least a little sampler or a better sound engine. I felt the QY100 was already outdated when it was released...
Yes, I own the QY70 too and never bother with the update.
Zarith wrote:I would also like to get a new QY module, but I feel it's a bit too late now. It would be too expensive for Yamaha to build a worthwhile stand alone unit. And I doubt people would buy it...
I think the Teenage Engineering OP-1 learned something from the QY line. I'd like to see the new QY went to the similar direction with the goodies of it's own and improvements over the long heritage.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:58 pm

StepLogik wrote:
elsongs wrote: I predict the next "QY module" will be an iPad app.
This seems more likely :( The iPad doesn't have anywhere near the amount of DSP processing power to give the type of sounds like in a proper workstation like the Motif. I'm not sure if it could emulate the XG engine used the QY series, maybe.
For me the Nano Studio and FL Mobile already filled the spot. What I want is a complete portable workstation, with a decent interface, like touch screen, knobs, pads, etc. and the ability to use an editor with a pc. So it can be integrated in the studio or being used as a live performance tools. The sequencer with a fresh workflow, to work with midi and audio is the key. I believe that it's going to be easy for Yamaha to make a hardware version of loopmash, combined with the power of Cubase, for a true QY successor.