Aren't we due for a new Yamaha QY module?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
elsongs

Re: Aren't we due for a new Yamaha QY module?

Post by elsongs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:14 am

StepLogik wrote:
elsongs wrote: I predict the next "QY module" will be an iPad app.
This seems more likely :( The iPad doesn't have anywhere near the amount of DSP processing power to give the type of sounds like in a proper workstation like the Motif. I'm not sure if it could emulate the XG engine used the QY series, maybe.
Oh, it will! :)

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:50 am

StepLogik wrote: The iPad doesn't have anywhere near the amount of DSP processing power to give the type of sounds like in a proper workstation like the Motif. I'm not sure if it could emulate the XG engine used the QY series, maybe.
Are you sure about that StepLogik :|

The Ipad has a 1GHz processor and a generous amount of RAM. It can run heavy sequencers, samplers, guitar amps and synths, so why not a Motif or XG sound engine? Korg has already released an Electribe for Ipad. And it run faster than the original one. What would be the issue with a QY100? Or a Motif Synth?

Unless I'm totally on the wrong track, I think they could even make a QY100 or Motif for Iphone...

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:38 am

Zarith wrote:The Ipad has a 1GHz processor and a generous amount of RAM. It can run heavy sequencers, samplers, guitar amps and synths, so why not a Motif or XG sound engine? Korg has already released an Electribe for Ipad. And it run faster than the original one. What would be the issue with a QY100? Or a Motif Synth?

Unless I'm totally on the wrong track, I think they could even make a QY100 or Motif for Iphone...
I've got Nanostudio running on my ageing iPhone, which gives me 4-10* softsynths and two drum kits - simultaneously. That's with effects too.

[*] Realistically, about 6 max. on my old iPhone. The iPad 2 would be able do many more.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Zarith wrote:
StepLogik wrote: The iPad doesn't have anywhere near the amount of DSP processing power to give the type of sounds like in a proper workstation like the Motif. I'm not sure if it could emulate the XG engine used the QY series, maybe.
Are you sure about that StepLogik :|

The Ipad has a 1GHz processor and a generous amount of RAM. It can run heavy sequencers, samplers, guitar amps and synths, so why not a Motif or XG sound engine? Korg has already released an Electribe for Ipad. And it run faster than the original one. What would be the issue with a QY100? Or a Motif Synth?

I'm definitely not sure. I just know that quality DSP processing takes a LOT of CPU power and these portable devices don't have a lot of horsepower. Soft synths that run on PC's have to make a lot of compromises in order to avoid completely crushing the CPU. A synth workstation with a few dedicated optimized DSP processors for sounds and effects can do a lot more DSP processing than a single general CPU that is also busy doing other tasks.

I could be wrong - my knowledge here is limited.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:38 pm

StepLogik wrote:
Zarith wrote: I'm definitely not sure. I just know that quality DSP processing takes a LOT of CPU power and these portable devices don't have a lot of horsepower. Soft synths that run on PC's have to make a lot of compromises in order to avoid completely crushing the CPU. A synth workstation with a few dedicated optimized DSP processors for sounds and effects can do a lot more DSP processing than a single general CPU that is also busy doing other tasks.

I could be wrong - my knowledge here is limited.
DSP processors are optimized to treat continuous flow of data, without using batch processing. But ultimately it's all about calculating. I don't see why a modern PC Processor shouldn't perform as well. Waldorf's Largo, for example, is more stable, runs faster than its hardware twin, the Blofeld.

from Wikipedia: "Most general-purpose microprocessors and operating systems can execute DSP algorithms successfully, but are not suitable for use in portable devices such as mobile phones and PDAs because of power supply and space constraints. A specialized digital signal processor, however, will tend to provide a lower-cost solution, with better performance, lower latency, and no requirements for specialized cooling or large batteries."

So it might be only a size and power/cooling issue.

Like you mentioned a PC is busy with other tasks, and the operating system - whether Windows, OSX or Linux - is always extremely heavy. But that's no longer an issue with modern 64bit multi threated processing.

I'm sure that a software version of the Yamaha Motif or Korg M3, wouldn't even use 20% of your PC resources.

The Yamaha QY70 had 2 Hitachi 17MHz processor, and less than 5MB of RAM (to store the XG waveforms and the sequencer data). I'm sure that any PC released in the last 15 years could run the same algorithms, and handle the same information, without any problem...

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:31 pm

If what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt your logic) then it probably comes down to a business decision. Can they make more money selling the hardware or the software? Does the software version introduce more problems than a hardware implementation?

Personally, I like a hardware device with dedicated controls. It seems more "Creative" and less like I'm doing my taxes :lol:

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 am

You'll be licking snow cones in h**l before a new QY200 with advanced features like those on its predecessors the RM1X and RS7000. Its not due, its far far past due. Why they've kept it and not the others? Depends what Yamaha thinks is or isn't economically viable, risk versus return, cheaper less effective alternatives making it a competitive saturated market, some other corporate catch terms, plus somebody pooped on a log there which was really funny at the time too, but it made their breath stank when they tried to bite in to it. So, they had to stop that childish c**p and get back to making serious gear, you know, for the professional musicians.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:42 pm

Yamaha has officially discontinued the QY100. It was quietly removed from the current models website at some point this year. None of the major retailers stock it anymore.

Any chance we'll get a new model now?

Earlier in this thread we discussed iPads and software - that solution seems much more likely now that we've seen how much audio capability can be wrung from modern tablets (Korg Gadget, etc). Yamaha even has a the "Mobile Music Sequencer" which is very similar to the QY but more limited in many respects.

I would really like to see a next-gen QY with the Motif sound engine and the original QY100 sequencer and an improved interface...

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:03 am

Wow, pretty old thread resurrected...

Little bigger than the QY but my Yamaha Monster7000 design had some decent reception:

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:02 pm

I'd probably buy that :)

sneakthief

Post by sneakthief » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Ah, a successor to my RS9000 ES lol

Speaking of the Montage bits you pasted on that mockup, I bought a Montage 7 a month ago.

After having an RM1x and 2 RS7000s, I skipped all the Motif stuff because it didn't bring anything innovative to the table. And the UI for the PLG stuff was terrible. The Montage however has great onboard editing and very interesting live sequencing/ improvisation possibilities!
sneak-thief: raw electrofunk!
http://sneak-thief.com

atlantida
Gear: Yamaha: Motif ES-R, AN1X, CS6R, QY100
Korg: MS 2000-R

Post by atlantida » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:38 pm

A few month ago I bought a used QY 100 for a good price, I wanted to program some midi stuff. I was too busy and then I set it aside while buying a guitar. (I played sologuitar 2o years ago)
Imagine my surprise that could use the QY 100 as a guitar effect unit (overdrive, flanger, chorus reverb), I saved some money on the effect without knowing it. I also have the one SM card too, you can still buy them. I just miss some kind of a piano roll display setting. Also, it's a pity that it eats batteries for breakfast and the rechargable ones doesn't work (grrrrrr), they have lower voltage than normal batteries, it was an unpleasant experience. Other than that it's a great device, love the micro keyboard too.
They could make a new one with a L-Ion battery and better display, I don't like the quirky apps at all. On the other hand, if you buy an Ipad you could install a Cubase studio so maybe that would work well.
Worked with:
Roland D50,JD800,XV3080,V-XT,MKS7
Yamaha FS1R,Motif ES R,CS6R,AN1X,AN200,TG500
Korg Trinity R,TritonR,EX8000,MS2000R,Radias
Novation Supernova 2R
Kawai K5000
DSI Mopho
Clavia NordLead1R
Ensoniq ESQ1,SQ80,MR

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:17 pm

That surprises me. Never had any problems using rechargeable batteries with my QY-100

Tidda

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:22 pm

Like a few other innovative products that Yamaha has come up with, the market never really materialized.

No other mfr came up with anything similar and now that you can run virtual modulars and DAWs on a phone it's unlikely the QY "walkstations" will ever be revived.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:45 am

Check out "Mobile Seq" for iPad by Yamaha - it's a very well specified sequencer in a QY format, taking full advantage of the graphic and touch capabilities of the iPad. I provides hundreds of preset Phrases - including the possibility to purchase over a 1000 phrases from the QY range; where you can assemble phrases into tracks in an Ableton type format, and also record live via keyboard. Overall, a very impressive package.