I enjoy the challenge of simplicity.....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

I enjoy the challenge of simplicity.....

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:26 pm

I've always admired the less-is-more philosophy. I feel having less tools at my disposal has always yielded greater creativity. I'm finishing up a project I started a few months ago and I'm starting to think about what I want to do next. I want a simpler setup. (I know, compared to most of you guys, mine is already simple!) This hypothetical plan has entered my mind recently.

Sell: P5 + Voyager OS + Electro 3 + API A2d

Buy: Jupiter 8

My new setup: Rhodes, Jupiter 8, Tr707, RE-201

I'm not looking for advice of any sort (I've wanted a JP8 for too long a time) - I'm more interested in connecting with others that have a similar simplistic mindset!

Are there any other minimalists out there?

MCosmos7

Re: I enjoy the challenge of simplicity.....

Post by MCosmos7 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:My new setup: Rhodes, Jupiter 8, Tr707, RE-201
That'd be a really cool setup. I'm a minimalistic soul too and, oddly enough, my setup also consists of three analogue and one digital pieces. They're a DX7 MkI + flanger, delay and reverb. But, what are we talking about? These are actually quite slutty setups. :lol:

Are you going to play everything in real time or multitrack?

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Minimalism.... yeah I'm into that, partly through the space available, partly financial, and partly choice.

I'm down to AN1x, battered old electribe (EM1) which is in a box somewhere and x0xb0x. The x0xb0x might be next to go, but only if/when I have a solid idea what to buy (no compulsive purchases!)
Stephen(2)

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:08 pm

I like simplicity, but... make sure you don't want to use that synth again before getting rid of it because prices are increasing exponentially from a decade to an other (if you ever want to get a synth back).

I sold a few sh-101's in the past and the last one I bought was way too expensive.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:28 pm

Can it be called minimalism if there's a modular involved? :D

My setup is getting pretty minimal, 12U Eurorack, MEK, Nord G2, MPC2500, Monotribe and MFB-522. Lots of effects though.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:21 pm

One man's minimal is another man's not ridiculously indulgent.
Of course there is nothing really minimal about a Jupiter 8.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Maximum everything for me!

Here's why: Sure I make smaller tunes too, but the set of parameters may change depending on the project. And with lotsa oodles I can define the limitations myself rather than that a machine tells me what its limiations are.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:45 pm

I havent got much space to use everything Ive got at once, so ive been planning this kind of minimal approach myself, especially since I dont play keyboards or anything.

I mean, at the moment Ive not even got any decent speakers or a mixer.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:33 pm

MCosmos7 wrote:
Are you going to play everything in real time or multitrack?
Great question!

If anything one of my goals for a new project would be to really separate the writing process from the recording process. I would love to get away from the computer screen while writing. I often get too distracted by the ability to immediately start layering sounds once I come up with a progression (or beat or melody). The new setup would be definitely open up the possibility of a real time venture (I.E. arpeggiator on JP8 triggered by 707, split function on JP8 allows one hand on that key bed, the other on the Rhodes).

To be fair, the 707 hasn't arrived in my hands yet (Tuesday!) so I'm certainly going to be experimenting connecting that to both the P5 and the Voyager.

When it comes time to actually record, it could go either way. I'll let the compositions determine what needs to be done.

How many of you write in real time?

How many of you write without the computer on (or at least without the DAW up) at all?

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Scories wrote:I like simplicity, but... make sure you don't want to use that synth again before getting rid of it because prices are increasing exponentially from a decade to an other (if you ever want to get a synth back).

I sold a few sh-101's in the past and the last one I bought was way too expensive.
This is of course, is my arch nemesis of issues. Money is always at the forefront of making these decisions. I don't have the luxury of an income to support my musical endeavors, so I constantly rely on selling/trading what I have for things that I want. Over the years, I've definitely let things go that I wish I hadn't (and DEFINITELY re-bought at a higher price!) However, I never do end up keeping them. Actually, nothing in my collection now is a re-buy, nor do I have any current complusions of re-buying something I've let go. So, I guess I'd like to think I'm moving forward...

My wife has a little list in her desk drawer of things she's quoted me saying 'I'll NEVER sell this.' Guess what, The Voyager and the P5 are both on that list. (The Electro 3 and A2d arn't though. Ha!)

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:08 pm

tomorrowstops wrote: My wife has a little list in her desk drawer of things she's quoted me saying 'I'll NEVER sell this.' Guess what, The Voyager and the P5 are both on that list. (The Electro 3 and A2d arn't though. Ha!)

I whish I could do just like you but I usually like cheap retro synths with a huge sweet spot so I have to use many of them to get tonal variety.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:38 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:
Scories wrote:I like simplicity, but... make sure you don't want to use that synth again before getting rid of it because prices are increasing exponentially from a decade to an other (if you ever want to get a synth back).

This is of course, is my arch nemesis of issues. Money is always at the forefront of making these decisions. I don't have the luxury of an income to support my musical endeavors, so I constantly rely on selling/trading what I have for things that I want. Over the years, I've definitely let things go that I wish I hadn't (and DEFINITELY re-bought at a higher price!) However, I never do end up keeping them. Actually, nothing in my collection now is a re-buy, nor do I have any current complusions of re-buying something I've let go. So, I guess I'd like to think I'm moving forward...

My wife has a little list in her desk drawer of things she's quoted me saying 'I'll NEVER sell this.' Guess what, The Voyager and the P5 are both on that list. (The Electro 3 and A2d arn't though. Ha!)
Finding inspiration is the single most important thing when building a setup.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:41 am

I think it's ultra important to find inspiration in the music.
If gear inspires you, there will always be the hunt for more gear.
It's like how many different set ups yielded how many songs/records?

I find I'm most productive when I focus on a few pieces.
Doesn't mean I need to sell stuff to limit...

I'm not even sure limit is the right word.
I mean, how many bits of gear do you need for all the different elements of a track?

Do I need a dedicated synth for Bass?
For leads?
Pads?
A whole synth dedicated to synth strings...arps....?
Multiple drum machines.....

Redundancy is so common in set ups.
More time is spent managing the studio than studying the craft.
Sucks when that happens. I've spent whole nights moving stuff around.

And then when I'm immersed in music making, I'll lay one keyboard atop another....
Sit something on my lap, play it and then stand it sideways when I'm done.

Anything to keep the momentum going and NOT lose the inspiration.

*****Disclaimer**************
Although I do admit when I buy something new, I tend to use it exclusively as much as possible and make a bunch of stuff. so........
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:49 am

It's really a money thing, you're only going to buy what you think you need to make the music you want.
I think it's better to learn everything about a piece of gear before you decide if you're going to keep it or sell it.

Minimalist setups are cool because you can focus more on making music rather than get caught up in the programming and tech aspects... especially for ideas or demos. I believe one could make a ton of music from a Access Virus, a Machinedrum and a digital multitrack for example.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:50 am

I am finding myself in a similar position right now. I have spent the bulk of my spring/summer with the MonoMachine and a guitar...to the point where I wonder about the rest of the things I own...I am currently renovating a space in my house to hold a small studio. Once that gets up and running I am prepared to do a decent sell off, and get back to writing songs, not so lost in the tech...