I enjoy the challenge of simplicity.....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: I enjoy the challenge of simplicity.....

Post by Pro5 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:57 am

I'm down to 5 main synths now - 2 either side of my main DAW area and an SH-101 for centre or portable (ideas, fun).

I still feel even 5 is too many. :lol:

At one point I had around 15 at once (all in my signature inc 'gone' pretty much overlapped) and it was frankly ridiculous, but I did it because they were all synths I wanted to try out and find if I liked them, eventually when the novelty wore off, if they were not used enough or I didn't like them enough I sold them, and very glad I did as too many keyboards around me makes me feel slightly sick these days. I was basically living the 80s dream I had as a young kid when I couldn't even afford one proper synth never mind 20 but it wasn't exactly getting my music progressing any quicker.

A couple of my synths (JX-3P and D-50 in particular) are used on a lot of my stuff so are close to becoming part of my sound, I guess, but I also use lots of guitars/vocals so they are often just supporting - and D-50 is all custom/synth struct patches (not late 80s presets!).

I can't see me ever being without those 2 (sold and rebought D-50 cos the only sold synth I missed, sometimes the only way to know if you'll really miss/want it is to SELL it, not stick it in a cupboard as often suggested, that doesn't quite work the same if you have the safety net of knowing it's still around somewhere).

Sy77 and Polysix are 2 very nice keyboards I can't seem to let go, SY77 goes for so little it's not even worth selling, and non full velocity transmit aside it makes a great master keyboard for me (esp for Piano parts - VST pianos not onboard samples!). And Polysix/101 give me that proper analog mojo which I occasionally need in my more synthetic tracks.

I could find myself happy with JUST a jupiter 8 and maybe a digital of some sorts (D-50 would prob be my choice there) so I think you have the right idea.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm

I realised lately that I dont even really like synths that much, I just like drum machines and synths that you can program like a drum machine. (Interface wise anyway)

Whenever I use synths I just end up overdubbing with one synth and all the others just get wasted so there isnt much point in me having any really.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:56 pm

I consolidated my ESX, evolver, and commandstation duties into a Spectralis2.

While there's not much simplicity in that, I'm happy to have the desk space... :D

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Pro5 wrote:I'm down to 5 main synths now - 2 either side of my main DAW area and an SH-101 for centre or portable (ideas, fun).

Haha, I'm down to about 15 or 16 now, plus about four drum boxes. And spares. And a couple of unfinished modular projects. I've sold quite a bit of stuff lately, and don't notice it. I don't even know where it went, 'cause all my space is still full. :lol:

That's how I'm minimal - I have no space to move around in.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 pm

That is why I got an iPad ... not that it is the end all be all for all , but for me it replaces my drum machines , romplers , and VA's , a couple digital fx units and even a few plugins . so now it's the iPad, iMac, couple midi controllers and a couple anlog pieces for flavor . So now the setup takes as much space as when I first got in to this , but does all I need at the kind of quality that would have (and has :shock:) cost so much more .

Now if we could just get wireless power and SSD's at Pata prices I could save another 5 cubic feet or so . lol
Last edited by loungedumore on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

wertpog

Post by wertpog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:10 am

I recently had a moment like this in the studio:

Needless to say, I am filled with regret
http://modularsamples.com - (public domain samples of classic synths)

ViaColour
Gear: Korg microkorg
Korg microsampler
Korg electribe EMX-1
Spector Legend 5-string bass
Piano
Band: Via Colour

Post by ViaColour » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Yeah I'm all about simplicity since I'm new at this and can't afford much.
All I have is a microkorg, microsampler, and an electribe emx-1 (which I really love)
They're all korg products lol!!!

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:34 pm

ViaColour wrote:Yeah I'm all about simplicity since I'm new at this and can't afford much.
All I have is a microkorg, microsampler, and an electribe emx-1 (which I really love)
They're all korg products lol!!!
Well all kinds of anti minimalistic , but I would throw a Midi controller in to that mix too !
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:27 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote: I know everyone hates it when I point this out, but there is a very firmly established and recognized style of music called "Minimalism," and those who practice it are "Minimalists."
However, it has nothing to do with instrumentation, it has to do with repetition.
The internet electronic musicians started calling their music "minimal" when it was sparse in instrumentation, and while that's a totally valid usage of the word, it unknowingly refers to something completely unrelated which was established firmly before that usage existed.
Yeah, they should simplify things and call themselves Minimalisticismists.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:14 am

I keep some stuff around out of pure nostalgia, but I'm doing my best to reduce. I like empty space in the studio. It's not even that much about getting the most out of it; it's just that when something just stands there and it's not being used I feel kind of bad about having it. There's already enough clutter - I want my studio to be an oasis.

I was in someone's studio that was filled to the ceiling with synthesizers. I'm very glad that I don't have this setup myself; I'd go completely bonkers. I'd put the lot of 'm in storage and drag the ones out that I would need. Part recorded? Put it back again.

To avoid the term "minimalism" (and synths aren't really "simple") - why not call it asceticism?
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 am

Yoozer wrote:To avoid the term "minimalism" (and synths aren't really "simple") - why not call it asceticism?
I like that name, but I have to point out that Minimalism isn't simple at all. It can be insanely complex... the minimalistic aspect has to do with content and change.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:02 am

Pro5 wrote:I'm down to 5 main synths now - 2 either side of my main DAW area and an SH-101 for centre or portable (ideas, fun).

Hey! What happened to your AX-80??
Is it the end of the honeymoon? :)

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:23 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Pro5 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 pm

cartesia wrote:I have a similar mindset.. are you sure about the 707 though? I tried doing one fixed-tone drum machine (even with some mods), but found it was just too much of a limit to me. Now I use an ESX - if I want to limit myself I just load up one set of samples.
So it came in on Tuesday and I've played with it here and there over the last few days. The UI and sound set are exactly as I expected *thumbs up*. I do wish I could pitch at least the toms though ('Low' Tom - HA!)...

Despite its shortcomings, I do find it charming and super fun to play with. Instant creativity!

And don't worry, its not my last drum machine purchase.....

ViaColour
Gear: Korg microkorg
Korg microsampler
Korg electribe EMX-1
Spector Legend 5-string bass
Piano
Band: Via Colour

Post by ViaColour » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:22 pm

loungedumore wrote: Well all kinds of anti minimalistic , but I would throw a Midi controller in to that mix too !
Yeah I was thinking that too whenever I can get some money. What would you suggest with an electribe?