I enjoy the challenge of simplicity.....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Re: I enjoy the challenge of simplicity.....

Post by cartesia » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:01 am

^ make sure it can deal with NRPN..

I'm a big fan of the behringer BCR2000, although it's rather chunky..

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 am

I don't think a BCR would really add anything to an EMX, they already have a really good knobby interface. When I had an ESX I never wanted to plug anything into it to give it more knobs.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:24 pm

A lot of BCR talk on here lately!

I agree with Stabby - a BCR wouldn't add much to the already knob-laden interfaces of ESX/EMX.
Monkey business since 2007!

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm the opposite.. but I guess this is coming from a more live-jam-oriented perspective..

What I really want a midi control for my ESX for is being able to control multiple tracks at once for quick alterations - I mean I want as much as possible..

every track's level/pitch/decay
every track's filter cutoff
every track's effect send controls
all 3 effect controls
every track's modulation controls

That's probably overkill for most people, but thats what I want!

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:36 pm

I've been without a studio for the whole summer. In September I'll settle into a new place, and have decided to completely re-think my studio setup. I'm lucky enough to be allowed to store all my stuff an hour away, at my inlaws, so I'm thinking of keeping a lot of my synths in storage for a while and experimenting with a more nerdy-style minimal setup as opposed to my last room full of big keyboard synths.

I'm thinking maybe just setting up an SH-101 (could never live without that one), MS20, SCI Sixtrak (with BCR2000) and leaving the rest at my inlaws for a while. I'm sure I could do a bunch with that! In fact I'm quite excited about this approach.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:38 pm

cartesia wrote:I'm the opposite.. but I guess this is coming from a more live-jam-oriented perspective..

What I really want a midi control for my ESX for is being able to control multiple tracks at once for quick alterations - I mean I want as much as possible..

every track's level/pitch/decay
every track's filter cutoff
every track's effect send controls
all 3 effect controls
every track's modulation controls

That's probably overkill for most people, but thats what I want!
Ok, I get that. Should be no prob with the Behringer.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:21 pm

I've been working on getting my live setup more streamlined lately and have settled on putting together a case with the core of my gear in it all wired up so I can take it to shows and just take off the lid and play, instead of spending 20 minutes plugging everything in like I normally have to. It's going to have the MEK, Timefactor, MPC2500, Tetra (unless I decide to sell it), MFB-522, and Monotribe. With a small mixer (I'm leaning towards a Mackie VLZ802) it should all fit into a case about the size of a 76 key flightcase.

I was thinking about it in the car on the way home tonight and realised that that was all I needed for a total hardware studio; I've got a mono lead synth with keyboard, multitimbral analogue polysynth, sequencer/sampler/drum machine, analogue acid box and analogue drum machine. I think having all that hooked up in one case is gonna really increase my productivity, and I can plug my little edirol recorder into the mixer to record straight to two track if I want, that's pretty amazing to me.

Of course the modular, G2, laptop and outboard are going nowhere. :D

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I like that name, but I have to point out that Minimalism isn't simple at all.
Yeah, but that was meant for the thread title - which mentioned "simplicity". Eno + 1 DX7 + reverb isn't simple, so "just" 4 or 5 synths certainly isn't simple.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:20 am

Interesting interview with Brian Eno, about 3 minutes in he's talking about options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzjFqclFLYU
Stephen(2)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:21 am

Yoozer wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I like that name, but I have to point out that Minimalism isn't simple at all.
Yeah, but that was meant for the thread title - which mentioned "simplicity". Eno + 1 DX7 + reverb isn't simple, so "just" 4 or 5 synths certainly isn't simple.
Almost invariably, when synth users use the term "minimalist," they mean simple and sparse.
It's possible to use 4 or 5 synths "simply." The point that I was making was that Minimalism is about an economy of change, not an economy of synths or content. What's more, Minimalism can be achieved wholly without synths. It has nothing to do with instrumentation.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:32 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I've been working on getting my live setup more streamlined lately and have settled on putting together a case with the core of my gear in it all wired up so I can take it to shows and just take off the lid and play, instead of spending 20 minutes plugging everything in like I normally have to.

I did exactly this for my band a couple of months ago - ms2000, revolution, strymon delay, moog ring mod, EH ring thing, little alesis mixer, KP3 and a powerboard - all built into a case wired up and ready to go. I ended up just building a case rather than spending a mint on a flight case, they sell everything you need at Bunnings.

makes life so much god damn easier.

also, let me know if you decide to sell to your Tetra ;)

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:26 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Almost invariably, when synth users use the term "minimalist," they mean simple and sparse.
It's possible to use 4 or 5 synths "simply." The point that I was making was that Minimalism is about an economy of change, not an economy of synths or content. What's more, Minimalism can be achieved wholly without synths. It has nothing to do with instrumentation.
You're confusing minimalist with minimal, as in minimal techno, minimal wave etc. Different words, different things.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:40 am

ViaColour wrote:
loungedumore wrote: Well all kinds of anti minimalistic , but I would throw a Midi controller in to that mix too !
Yeah I was thinking that too whenever I can get some money. What would you suggest with an electribe?
I was referring to just something with good full size keys ( sorry all you BCR lovers ) though I'm sure a few knobs would make some parameters of the micro's a little more easy to get to .
As far as what midi keyboard ... ? All comes down to need vs. want vs. feel .
I like the Akai MPKs , Korg Kontrol 49 ,and the E-MU X boards myself ,but whatever has decent keys a few knobs and has a feel you like will do .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am

I don't use many synths but those synths are far from simple.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:40 am

I never get more music done than when I just take out my Machinedrum UW and focus on that for a while :) less is more, just make sure the gear you do have is of high quality