What synth is used in the gold HQ scene in Blade Runner?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: What synth is used in the gold HQ scene in Blade Runner?

Post by knolan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Bitexion wrote:Vangelis never played static patches on his CS-80s, he used all expression features like volume pedal, filter cutoff pedal, full aftertouch, he really plays with his whole self not just the static patches. That's why it's so difficult to mimic his sounds on another keyboard. You have to PLAY like him not just make the same patch sound. The swelling of the sound is more often a volume pedal rather than a static envelope.

I believe he said that his fave synthesizer of all time is the CS-80 because it allows you to lean into it and play with your whole body not just fingers.
Not debating with his use of the CS80 in the most expressive of ways - but - it's incorrect to say that he never played static patches on the CS80.

Firstly, he uses preset patches on most of his synths. Indeed he isn't really into designing sounds at all - he finds a preset he likes, and plays. His music is laden with unchanged presets from all kinds of synths.

But more to your point - if you listen to "Hymn" for example, or "To The Unknown Man" as just two examples of many - he's using a CS80 preset (Guitar) with no modification and indeed not a huge amount, if any, expression (because the y don't need it).

My original point is only this: it has been assumed almost unanimously that the lead line in Bladerunner Blues is CS80, and it may not be. Firstly, he used the CS40M for ALL lead-lines in several other high profile albums: See You Later title track, He Is Sailing and all of the lead work on Horizons. All of these were released at the same time as Bladerunner was being composed. Furthermore, owning and knowing both the CS80 and CS40M, some of the lead characteristics of Blade Runner Blues suggest the CS40M - the solo cut of notes (admittedly achievable on Sustain II on the CS80) - but more importantly - the pitch bend of notes is more reminiscent of a pitch bend wheel than a ribbon controller (they are very different in how they operate and each can achieve pitch bending in ways the other can't); while the post above by OEZ intriguingly points out that the low and high notes of the piece correspond to the lowest and highest notes of the CS40M keyboard.

Make no bones about it - the CS40M is a keyboard capable of delivering expressive lead lines - Vangelis himself mastered it and used it to great effect on multiple albums over several year period at the time Bladerunner was being composed.

I'm not making any absolute claim here - just highlighting how important the CS40M was to Vangelis during that period and that it may be the lead synth on Bladerunner Blues

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Has he ever talked about what he used in BRB? And how did this impression that it's the CS80 begin? Was there a good reason for it beginning, aside from just generally how the patch sounds?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

philip

Post by philip » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:57 am

I read somewhere that he actually never used his CS40, just occasionally, couple of times, for FXs and smth like that.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:45 pm

Knolan i dont knoe how you can misinterpret bitexions post. Its clear by not playing static patches it means not playing the prrsets like theyre electric doorbells.
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:48 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Has he ever talked about what he used in BRB? And how did this impression that it's the CS80 begin? Was there a good reason for it beginning, aside from just generally how the patch sounds?
Hate texting. Theres three good reasons. Ballad dervish d and 3+3. From the spiral album.
Herrare umanum est.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:09 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Has he ever talked about what he used in BRB? And how did this impression that it's the CS80 begin? Was there a good reason for it beginning, aside from just generally how the patch sounds?
Good point! It's just quoted all over the place - but you're absolutely correct - it has never been specifically indicated.

Despite all this discussion, it is most likely it's the CS80 :-)

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Mooger5 wrote:Knolan i dont knoe how you can misinterpret bitexions post. Its clear by not playing static patches it means not playing the prrsets like theyre electric doorbells.

Chill!! not looking to debate hard here - just musing over possibilities! Accept your point !!

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:13 pm

philip wrote:I read somewhere that he actually never used his CS40M, just occasionally, couple of times, for FXs and smth like that.
OK - but it is seen in his setup for quite some time; and it's clearly used on See You Later (1980) and Private Collections (1983) - so I think it's clear it was used quite extensively. I believe it's used on Mask too (last movement - the lead playing sounds very CS40M like, though again a bit like with Bladerunner Blues, it could also be CS80).

segerfalk

Post by segerfalk » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 pm

I certainly didn't nail the sound with my CS80, and the main thing lacking here is the post key press dynamics, which I'm pretty sure he used the expression pedal for. You need both velocity sensitivity and a volume pedal to nail that sound. Lfo mod with AT and that odd pitch bend can be played with the ribbon, no problem.

http://www.soundcloud.com/analogsweden/ ... es-snippet

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:46 am

knolan wrote:
Mooger5 wrote:Knolan i dont knoe how you can misinterpret bitexions post. Its clear by not playing static patches it means not playing the prrsets like theyre electric doorbells.

Chill!! not looking to debate hard here - just musing over possibilities! Accept your point !!
LOL I hate to send messages over the phone, that´s all. Your exclamation marks on the other hand makes you sound like a comic book character :twisted:
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:55 am

Looks like the harmonica sound is just two presets tuned a fifth apart according to the OP here https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?PHP ... 93#msg1293
Herrare umanum est.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Indeed while Ballad (and "Flamants roses" on Opera Sauvage) use the setup indicated in that interesting article; the Bladerunner Blues sound is slightly different. If there is a 5th in there, it's only a small amount. In any case you can configure the CS40M in a similar way.

Nevertheless, I think I've pushed this to the limit and concede it's likely CS80. I just listened to the piece again and in fact I think it's clear that both Velocity and Aftertouch are used on that lead line. Why I pondered the CS40M is that I own both, and still find it difficult in places to distinguish whether it's CS80 or CS40M; and coupled with his extensive use of the CS40M for a lot of lead work on other albums, and the fact that at around 3 minutes into the piece the pitchbend sounds more like that achieved from a wheel than a ribbon controller, suggested the possibility of it being the CS40M.

But over all, it does sound so fluid and dynamic that the CS80 is surely what he used.

raycastile

Post by raycastile » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:56 am

knolan wrote:Lovely playing.

Well done on all your lovely music on your CS60 - it sounds fabulous.

Best regards,
Kevin.

Thank you Kevin!

raycastile

Post by raycastile » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:12 am

Kevin, you own a CS80 and you can't make that BR Blues sound? I've read that it's Strings4 with the brilliance around 50 percent and resonance at 90 or 100 percent. And you own a CS40M, so you could try to duplicate it on that synth. If the only thing that makes you wonder is the pitch bend, I would agree that it's easier to imitate that style using a lever instead of a ribbon. But I think Vangelis was just that good. I agree with the consensus that it was a CS80.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:47 pm

knolan wrote:Indeed while Ballad (and "Flamants roses" on Opera Sauvage) use the setup indicated in that interesting article; the Bladerunner Blues sound is slightly different. If there is a 5th in there, it's only a small amount.
It´s been suggested to use both presets at 8 feet separated by a fifth. If one of the presets is set for 16 feet instead, so both are separated by 19 semitones, it will sound like there´s an overtone, rather than a two-note chord. Just a thought.
Herrare umanum est.