Gear Envy.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Re: Gear Envy.

Post by 30h5 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:34 am

I don't necessarily envy big studio setups. When I hear a certain synth demo or see a piece I would like to try, I won't deny that feel a desire to own one. I would love to have a OB-XA, CS-80, TR-808, Sunsyn, etc. but I have come to understand that sadly I am one of those who just likes to have gear and doesn't use it to the extent I should. When I had only my JX-305 (my first synth), I spent more time on that than anything I have ever had since. I am (was?) susceptible to the "If I only had X, I would do Y" syndrome.

I have a v-synth. It sits there. I want to use it, but I don't. I know it is powerful, vast, and if I could get into it, I could do a heck of a lot with it. But there it sits. I simply don't devote a lot of time to my synths. When I do turn on my synths, I usually have my MD, SH2, and 777 running with my efx. I never seem to record anything and I just noodle with what seems to give me the most instant gratification. So in light of that honesty, I have been thinking about selling off some stuff to fund stuff that would actually stand a chance of getting used. But would that new stuff actually get used? It is hard to say. It seems dumb to me to hold onto something because it has the potential to be useful at some point; but that point hasn't ever come for it. I have been debating on selling my v-synth and potentially some other stuff for the majority of the year and yet, there it sits because of the minute chance I would do something with it and that I would want to get at least what I paid for it. ugh.

At least I don't have illusions anymore that if I had X synth it would just tie everything together and I would actually record something. :cry:

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:37 am

At the end I truly envy people who have found a configuration and arrangement of synths that suits their needs and they don't feel the need to buy or sell their gear. If such a set up exists for me, I haven't found it yet.
soundcloud.com/vectron

HH

Post by HH » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:46 am

amen

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:07 pm

I don't really envy people that have big setups, but I'd definitely like to try playing certain synths and do recordings with them. No need to really own them myself. That's one of the best reasons to have a band and to be friends with people that share your interests especially in vintage gear - you'll get to use their instruments when working with them or just hanging out with them. I've worked in studios and other media production facilities, so I've actually gotten to use all kinds of cool stuff. What has been missing from those place have been analog synths, so that might be one of the reasons why I'm still stoked each time I have a new one in front of me.

Not sure if I envy anything in the first photo. Maybe the original stylophone (if that's the original in any case).

Betterthanprozac
Gear: Junos, Tetra, Virus KC, MEK, Micron, YC-20, V synth, Triton, etc...
Band: Outer Space Real Estate

Post by Betterthanprozac » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 pm

As my mother told me during my synth lust onset, "You can only play one at a time."

But really, I keep more synths set up than I use at once. The centrality of a hub setup saves me from a lot of plugging and cable knots.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:43 pm

Betterthanprozac wrote:As my mother told me during my synth lust onset, "You can only play one at a time."
Hasn't your mother heard of MIDI ? ;)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Psy_Free wrote:
Betterthanprozac wrote:As my mother told me during my synth lust onset, "You can only play one at a time."
Hasn't anybody here heard of using their left hand?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:53 am

tekkentool wrote:
Psy_Free wrote:
Hasn't anybody here heard of using their left hand?

Careful there, Marc/Matt.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:23 am

Oh come on :lol: I produce music entirely with a computer. I'm not in any danger of being marc any time soon. (hopefully :| )

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 am

Alex E wrote:At the end I truly envy people who have found a configuration and arrangement of synths that suits their needs and they don't feel the need to buy or sell their gear. If such a set up exists for me, I haven't found it yet.
And that's the key, I am at that point now where I can say honestly I don't really want anything else and am happy with what I've got - and you know what, I'm much happier now - it's all about what you focus on, envy will only ever make you miserable if you let it. :geek:

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:43 am

tekkentool wrote:Hasn't anybody here heard of using their left hand?
How are you supposed to hold your beer if you play another synth with your left hand ?
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:41 am

Psy_Free wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Hasn't anybody here heard of using their left hand?
How are you supposed to hold your beer if you play another synth with your left hand ?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:46 am

As soon as I posted my question I knew that a beer hat would be the response. :lol:

Now that is a piece of gear that makes me envious.
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Alex E wrote:At the end I truly envy people who have found a configuration and arrangement of synths that suits their needs and they don't feel the need to buy or sell their gear. If such a set up exists for me, I haven't found it yet.
Stop selling your synths.

A tip I find is to watch demos of synths you do own instead of synths you are thinking about buying.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:26 pm

tallowwaters wrote: Stop selling your synths.

A tip I find is to watch demos of synths you do own instead of synths you are thinking about buying.
Duly noted.
soundcloud.com/vectron