Gear Envy.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Gear Envy.

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Alex E wrote:
tallowwaters wrote: Stop selling your synths.

A tip I find is to watch demos of synths you do own instead of synths you are thinking about buying.
Duly noted.
there's two sides to every coin: sometimes you don't want stagnant setup. It's also good sometimes to escape feeling like your music has to be just producing little song products like your some kind of factory seeking efficient means of production. You've got to ask yourself what your music really is. Like, What are you even doing? Have you questioned the consumerist origins of your conceptions of structure/ value/ importance/ etc? I say this because I suspect that if you try to connect with some more primordial notions of musicality you might also drum up a more primordial sense of satisfaction.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:39 pm

I think the only time I ever have a problem with my simple setup is when I feel limited by it. If I don't feel too limited there's no problem whatsoever.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:35 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
Alex E wrote:At the end I truly envy people who have found a configuration and arrangement of synths that suits their needs and they don't feel the need to buy or sell their gear. If such a set up exists for me, I haven't found it yet.
And that's the key, I am at that point now where I can say honestly I don't really want anything else and am happy with what I've got - and you know what, I'm much happier now - it's all about what you focus on, envy will only ever make you miserable if you let it. :geek:
ding ding ding

couldn't agree more
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

koneyn
Gear: Yamaha DX7 IID, Korg ESX-1, Korg X3R, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

Post by koneyn » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:50 am

I never ever feel real envy but I do get that "kid in a toy store" stare when looking at well equipped studios. Especially if there are lots of mid-eighties to early nineties keyboards lying around - I'd love to have a dozen of these stacked up against my wall, too. But then I say to myself: you fool, you cannot properly play even these two you've already got.

The trouble is, I'm not really lusting over any analog synth, and even the early and classic digital ones that I'd love to play with aren't expensive at all, so it's always a temptation.

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:07 am

I started with ableton and learned cpu synthesis via vst's and effects. That and a bunch o samples. Then I bought a better soundcard and an apc20, Then a friend sold me my first synth a roland MC808. all of a sudden I had to relearn everything, I was used to unlimited tracks in ableton.

Due to sequencer shortcomings inherent to the MC808, I had to sequence the bugger with ableton, and I had to buy a book about how to program the software editor.

no regrets whatsoever...but I knew that I had to get more grooveboxes...I wanted one for better sequencing and another for a better arpegiator.

I worked hard put in overtime and waited... :twisted:

and finally I got a yamaha rs7000 and a proteus 2500. I have all I need, the analog stuff IS cool...but the truth is that the MC808 is kind of a doppleganger. I can build my own sort of analogish sound and combine it with different parts.

I can build my own sort of 303. but I do know what you mean by envy.

I am just too grateful to have the opportunity to be inspired to make music at this time in my life.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:38 am

I used to have an MC-808. :) I was surprised how much I could get done in one machine. Computer-only synth programming was a bit of a bummer but I lived with it. Fun machine.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Apart from most of you, I would actually like to have as many synths (well almost) as I could possibly afford. At the moment I am quite happy with my setup, but there are some sounds that I would like to be able to achieve still. My current setup is simply:

Moog Little Phatty Tribute Edition
Nord Clavia Electro 2 '73

I don't ever use software stuff or sequencers or drum machines etc, I play progressive rock mostly so I never use that stuff. I do find myself longing for a vintage synth though, and a strings synth, so I have been looking into the Crumar Performer and similar synths to achieve this, but it will probably take a year or so before I actually get one, mainly because of economical issues. I think the amount of gear needed really depends a lot on what kind of music that you make and what sounds/brands you prefer. And of course, if you are an analog fanatic like me (or, more precisely, I'm getting there), the gear will grow larger and MUCH more expensive :D
Keyboard-driven rock anyone? www.reverbnation.com/oracleswe

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:12 pm

Alex E wrote:
tallowwaters wrote: Stop selling your synths.

A tip I find is to watch demos of synths you do own instead of synths you are thinking about buying.
Duly noted.
Really though, I'm not trying to be flippant. I used to consider selling my V Synth constantly, even put it aside for a while. I would watch a few videos of what people were doing and immediately pull it back out, now inspired. People have too many options nowadays, so you have to limit yourself, blah blah blah.

It is nice to buy new stuff to try out here and there, so I make it a point to leave a few blank places in my studio for that fun/impulse purchase from time to time.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Of course nobody's going to admit envy. However, on synth forums there's no shortage of "huh, shitloads of stuff, must not be making anything worthwhile" remarks on big setups unless the owner directly posts the pictures in a "show your gear" thread. Then you just see the "wow, awesome". The kicker? In neither case music has to be posted; so much for cooks and kitchens. :mrgreen:

Anyway - I had the privilege to visit such a candy store studio. It's an incredibly overwhelming experience; there's just not enough time to explore all of it. You'd need at least a week to scratch the surface.

When I drove back home, I knew even if I won the lottery I wouldn't ever want to have all that. It would make me go absolutely bonkers. When I got back home, I looked at the bunch of synths I had temporarily stored in a closet. Those went on the chopping block. They didn't add anything. I didn't feel anything when they were gone. Most importantly, they were impediments; my space is limited, my finances too. Now even more is going away, and I'm feelling better because of it - which is what counts.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:12 am

I've read it's akin to the thrill of removing a buttplug ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:00 pm

The hardest part in owning a larger studio is arranging it in a way that workflow is enhanced, rather than impeded. That huge studio posted above seems efficient in its use of space but I've found that having "walls of synths" doesn't really lend itself to playing those synths. They become decorations rather than instruments. YMMV..
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 pm

what irritates the c**p out of me is people with huge racks of gear and not a single note of music online. yet you see their pics over and over and eventually someone posts a thread like "have you seen this guys rig :shock: OMG".

then people that slave and slave away over what little gear they have never get any credit for it or their music..

*8edit.. whoops yoozer kinda beat me to it.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:42 pm

then people that slave and slave away over what little gear they have never get any credit for it or their music..

I don't get this. Music leads the way. If your music is good THEN people care about what you use. I've never heard a crappy song and thought "My god, I must know the history of this recording". You get 'credit' for your records.
On the opposite, I don't think I've ever seen a gear pic and suddenly thought a piece of music sounded better from knowing that tons of [expensive] gear was used in its creation.

I've actually thought (sour grapes?) that the music probably sucked when I see one of those walls. Or that they are not doing any music of note. Which is a safe bet or else you'd know whose studio you were looking at. So there's always room for hatred and envy. yay. Collectors...collect.....I don't confuse a wall of synths with a music studio. You can just look at the ergonomics and figure that out.

Besides that, a neat studio isn't making any music. 8-)
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:53 pm

griffin avid wrote:
Besides that, a neat studio isn't making any music. 8-)

That's bullshit, I can't work in an unorganized space.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:04 pm

That's bullshit, I can't work in an unorganized space.

I never said Unorganized...I said Neat.
Organized and unorganized is pretty subjective.
That's all personal opinion and preference.
Most (production) studios are organized to their users...usage.

I know WHY that is lying there and why that is sitting on top of that...etc...Those cables? Oh yeah that's to run XYZ through QRS.....

Neat is when EVERYTHING IS put away.
A stranger can walk in a room and see whether or not it's neat or dirty or simply a mess.
You simply know how to sort through the mess.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com