Gear Envy.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cgren72

Re: Gear Envy.

Post by cgren72 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:48 pm

It would be fun to play that m5 and some of those synths, but id probably write better music on fruityoops or my poly 800. I would be way to distracted with the m5, and if i had all that gear i would just sit around and send pictures of it to people all day. No matter what synths ive owned, ive always written best with cheap and simple synths/software. I barely get to play my moog, and dont get to play synth alot. Imagine how little that guy gets to play each of those synths.

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 pm

griffin avid wrote:I guess it also stems from the fact that *serious* artists tend to be absorbed in/by their own music.
While you're on your own musical journey, do you really care about what's happening to your right and left?
No I dont.. but it's also part of the fun of belonging to a community to me. i'd still watch my friends do karaoke even they sucked. it's all part of the fun..

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:50 pm

griffin avid wrote:I guess it also stems from the fact that *serious* artists tend to be absorbed in/by their own music.
While you're on your own musical journey, do you really care about what's happening to your right and left?
Wow, how extremely condescending to put the asterisks around *serious*.

I care because I have a *serious* concern about clutter and mess around me. Do I grind band practice to halt to make somebody stand in a different area? Not really, but I have no problem breaking my 100% single minded concentration to move a glass, or a pedal that's out and in the way, or remedy a cable stretched ridiculously far across the room, etc. This has nothing to do with how passionately I feel about music, it's dominated by the fact that cleanliness and order are just as important to me. Just like you might stop twiddling knobs on a synth if somebody called you and told you your child had just cut their finger off, I might stop because some particular physical arrangement seems problematic to me.

The problem again rises from people making blanket statements about art, artists, and their tools. Just because you are apparently a slob (see, I can make unsubstantiated comments as well based on my opinion of a few words you spout on an internet forum) doesn't validate your art, and just because I care enough that my studio not look like a shitpot of filth at any given time doesn't devalue my art or my *seriousness* as an artist.

So let's agree to leave the asterisks and finger pointing and bullshit blanket statements out of the discussion.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:06 pm

tallowwaters wrote: Wow, how extremely condescending to put the asterisks around *serious*.
I thought the same thing ;).

besides, I'm beyond serious about my music and I take regular breaks to let my hearing recover, grab a drink etc. I didn't realise to be serious I had to be consumed by my work and ignoring everything around me. :lol:

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 pm

tekkentool wrote:
tallowwaters wrote: Wow, how extremely condescending to put the asterisks around *serious*.
I thought the same thing ;).

besides, I'm beyond serious about my music and I take regular breaks to let my hearing recover, grab a drink etc. I didn't realise to be serious I had to be consumed by my work and ignoring everything around me. :lol:

Yes sir, you need to be so consumed by *seriousness* that you need to take time off from your music to tell other people how *serious* they aren't when compared to your *seriousness*, especially if their *seriousness* is in direct contrast of your *serious* attitudes and opinions.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:40 pm

*Seriously?*

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 am

again, it's like: if you don't see it happening, it isn't there. well, sometimes it is there. some people aren't ready to put their music on display, and that can be because they might not feel comfortable sharing it, because they feel it's not ready or up to their ideal standards, or because they simply just chose not to share it.
tekkentool wrote:You don't need a studio full of gear to make a good electronic music record.
no you don't, and you don't need a good electronic music record to justify a studio full of gear. No one needs to feel shamed out of enjoying synthesizers for what they are, or even just owning them, for any reason. Owning them, playing them, having them as investments, and letting your friends noodle arround on them, or basically whatever you get from your interest, is just as good as using them to make songs. essentially, any reason for owning gear is as good as any other reason for owning gear, regardless of the percieved teleology inherent in the design of said piece of gear, so long as that reason is something that the person in question actually desires and thinks is important.(aside from trying to burn them all or something rediculous... :? ) viz..the gear is here to be enjoyed, so why limit the scope and myriad ways of enjoying it? i suspect a lot of the negativity comes from the idea that " *my own* (i had to pu the * in there :lol: ) intentions for the gear are my own concern(read "most important"), and if everyone else hoards it away and doesn't even use it right, they're keeping me from using it for it's intended purpose, and making it harder for me to get it because now it's more rare and more expensive." while these feelings can be totally legitimate, the mistake is thinking that they are the proper grounds for making some sort of normative statement about synth collecting, because really: you don't need a studio full of gear to make a good electronic music record, and micromanaging what other people should do with what they own, or how you feel about what they own or their reasons for it are simply detracting from your ability to enjoy what you have, even if the only reason is because it's a needless distraction.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:29 am

Insisting that you don't need a studio full of synths to make good music is exactly the same as insisting that you DO need a studio full of synths to make good music.
This ridiculous counter-oppressive movement to suggest that anyone can make great music with any instrument they want is just as irritating as those who indicate that music can only be made with expensive and rare synths.
The truth is that the people who rebel against the notion that they need quality instruments are not rebelling because they know that great music can be made with ANYTHING, but rather that they're irritated that someone is trying to control or limit their output with some conceived notion of value=expense. The premise is a falsehood as much as the response is a reactionary falsehood.
The truth is that there's some dickhead who can make way better music than yours with a comb and tissue paper, as well as the fact that there's some rich douchebag with every synth ever made who can't do s**t. There is no such thing as an objective view regarding what can be made with what. Protesting the notion that quality/expensive synths are required is as stupid as protesting the notion that good music can't be made with cheap c**p.
At the end of the day, your validity is generated by how may people like what you do... whether it's genius, or bullshit. Get used to it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:04 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:At the end of the day, your validity is generated by how may people like what you do... whether it's genius, or bullshit.
And if it's the latter, your mom probably still thinks your cool.
Do you even post on vse bro?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:53 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Insisting that you don't need a studio full of synths to make good music is exactly the same as insisting that you DO need a studio full of synths to make good music.
This ridiculous counter-oppressive movement to suggest that anyone can make great music with any instrument they want is just as irritating as those who indicate that music can only be made with expensive and rare synths.
The truth is that the people who rebel against the notion that they need quality instruments are not rebelling because they know that great music can be made with ANYTHING, but rather that they're irritated that someone is trying to control or limit their output with some conceived notion of value=expense. The premise is a falsehood as much as the response is a reactionary falsehood.
The truth is that there's some dickhead who can make way better music than yours with a comb and tissue paper, as well as the fact that there's some rich douchebag with every synth ever made who can't do s**t. There is no such thing as an objective view regarding what can be made with what. Protesting the notion that quality/expensive synths are required is as stupid as protesting the notion that good music can't be made with cheap c**p.
At the end of the day, your validity is generated by how may people like what you do... whether it's genius, or bullshit. Get used to it.
God damn it, yes...how this can come from a guy who still thinks duvel is a good beer, I'll never understand....except for the part your mom thinks is cool. (She thinks something else is cool to btw, but we won't go there...). ;) I know you didn't mean to suggest that more popular = more valid. Maybe perceived validity? But then there are certain bands like mike and Kim, or Steve, or Matt and Kim, or whoever(raisinnipps) who many of us would consider invalid, merely cashing in on marketability. Or dream theater.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:04 am

"At the end of the day, your validity is generated by how may people like what you do... whether it's genius, or bullshit. Get used to it."

maybe if you see music as a business, and society as some kind of big shop, then yeah. if you do, then you're part of the problem, frankly

good luck with that way of thinking when the twin equalizers "global market crash" and "peak oil" hit, though

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:11 am

to get back on topic, i think it's totally cool for people to have huge rooms of synths, even if they don't play them. many of them are, after all, historical artifacts as well as instruments

i just hope the people who do use them are responsible about their energy consumption and at least aware of environmental concerns. i mean i've read s**t from people on forums who claim to keep their gear turned on 24/7 to "aid creativity" or whatever, even when they're not in the studio, which is pretty much f**k and indefensible imo

*puts down bong*

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 am

All I said was that you don't need an expensive setup to make nice sounding music. Not trying to slut-shame at all, just trying to put some emphasis back on the actual person using the setup.

not saying that any good musician can make genius from c**p, but that it's not a requirement to have gold in the first place to make it.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:37 am

Wow, how extremely condescending to put the asterisks around *serious*.
1. I actually went with Asterisks INSTEAD of Quotes to NOT sound pretentious but uh...
2. I never said ME. I said artists. AGAIN I didn't say ME.
3. It's not semantics it's you taking exception to a sentence taken out of context.

What context?
Well, read the post above me that I was responding to OR Read my previous post about LISTENING TO OTHER PEOPLE'S MUSIC and whoa, that had NOTHING to do with studio clutter/organization/neatness.

So let's agree to leave the asterisks and finger pointing and bullshit blanket statements out of the discussion.
Yeah okay, you first.

And to even take the Right and Left to somehow mean literally right and left of my body....while I'm making music...really? My studio is pretty neat. BUT when I'm working intensely on a project it slowly becomes messy.
No, I don't put things away. I shoot litter at the garbage and don't really care if I hit the basket or not.
I have notes littered about. Lyrics scraps. Mixing notes. Little reminders of things I'm procrastinating about etc...

That's me. Doesn't have to be YOU.
It's a common cliche to show the workplace of a brilliant/productive person and it's a mess. If you're the great exception who has a 100% neat, clean and organized studio 100% of the time and you are super-productive, congratulations. You are part of the minority.

I think I squeezed a blanket statement in there. Oops. :?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am

Not trying to slut-shame at all, just trying to put some emphasis back on the actual person using the setup.

Not every person could make their music just using a laptop or whatever set up is the anti-room-full-of-gear.

not saying that any good musician can make genius from c**p, but that it's not a requirement to have gold in the first place to make it.

You'll probably step on someone's toes about what constitutes Gold, Silver and Bronze when it comes to musical instruments and tools. I remember someone once said on VSE that a particular feature on their synth (some kind of unique modulation I think) was important [necessary] for the kind of music they make. And it seemed like the ultimate trump card for arguing about what synth is better than what synth [for them].

I mean, it went beyond the surface stuff like sound categories....Bass, Leads or expressive traits like after touch or the keys ...I scratched my head and figured why not?

I'm not even sure if the goal is to do the most with the least.
It might simply be to do what you want with what you want.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com