any ideas for feedback loops?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mama.

any ideas for feedback loops?

Post by mama. » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:31 am

I've been really interested in it lately, super annoying but sometimes you find something good enough for a sample or overdub.

I had this idea maybe if you could get a box that has some momentary push buttons wired to different volume pots you might be able to approximate something like keyboard riffs (??) Id hate to drop cash on parts for this project and find out it doesnt work.

oh and ive found connecting parallel loops with a passive mixer creates some neat intermodulation

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: any ideas for feedback loops?

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 am

two cheezy 80s 49 (khz? mhz?) walkie talkies

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:27 pm

2 cell phones on speaker mode, close to eachother makes some pretty annoying feedback...

mama.

Post by mama. » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:06 pm

oh wait yeah, turning the sound acoustic for part of the chain, er is that mostly for the delay?
was it on this board maybe does anyone remember a mention of some artist building acoustic synth modules? they were supposed to be these patchable isolation tanks that the audio through speaker to a mic with different acoustic interference in between, like a fan for darth vader effects or a glass bottle for resonance,

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:51 pm

I've gotten some interesting results connecting stereo effects into themselves, left to right, right to left etc. Most of sounds like random s**t, but sometimes you get something interesting. If you want, I could upload some examples. One example is in the listening lounge already: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=63785
The second noodle, Daemon Lycopersicum, is done through, and with, a feedback loop as I descibed earlier in this post, only difference is I also connected up a tomato in the loop.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Putting short delays into feedback loops is a cool way to tune them. Try it out.

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Putting short delays into feedback loops is a cool way to tune them. Try it out.
I second that.

edit: Sometimes I get sort of fluteish sound out of my memory man, couple that with a little distortion, and you'll have an experimental jazz-solo. Pretty funny stuff.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:46 pm

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:44 am

one little trick i like to use sometimes (and its really cheap!) is using m danelectro EQ pedal (it was like $9) putting a "Y" cable on the output and send one lead to the input and one to more fx or amp. the bands allow you to tune the feedback into a wide variety of noise and drones. always start with the volume low though, dont need to blow anything up lol
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50 am

have you tried a no input mixer yet?

plug the outputs of a mixer (the cheaper & older & cracklier the better) into its inputs. you can then shape the tonal characteristics of the feedback with the onboard eq controls. insert various pedals into the loop for further control

this guy plays "twinkle twinkle little star" on a no input mixer

there's an entire scene devoted to no input composition in japan called onkyo. toshimaru nakamura is kinda the leader of this scene, he's able to coax an incredible range of sounds and textures from such a simple setup

his partner sachiko m uses a no input sampler, eschewing samples completely and instead manipulates the built in test tone on an akai s20

supposedly this scene began in order to counter the strict noise restrictions in the residential area in tokyo that nakamura and sachiko m lived and performed in by developing a music that could be played as quietly as possible

it's extremely academic, extremely dry stuff, but often very beautiful music

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 pm

One me and some friends got 5 laptops with skype on them and held them all up to each other and spoke into them. It was completely useless musically but made the most horribly cool racket.

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:20 pm

i've been sampling skype a lot lately. like, calling my girlfriend's laptop and letting them sit in an empty room together for a while recording the output into logic. you get some of the weirdest digital interference, total ghosts in the machine type stuff

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:08 pm

rad thread!
I gotta try some of this..

mute

Post by mute » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:17 pm

For the past several years, part of my setup has always included a crappy lil Behringer mixer that has 2 aux sends. I route both aux through fx and then back into 2 of the channels. Then using the auxsend knobs on any of the other channels you can introduce the sounds into the feedback stream and then shape (eq) and control the amount of feedback using the channels that have the aux's routed back into them (using aux amount and track volume).

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:08 am

mute wrote:For the past several years, part of my setup has always included a crappy lil Behringer mixer that has 2 aux sends. I route both aux through fx and then back into 2 of the channels. Then using the auxsend knobs on any of the other channels you can introduce the sounds into the feedback stream and then shape (eq) and control the amount of feedback using the channels that have the aux's routed back into them (using aux amount and track volume).
That's generally accepted as the clever way of using delays, feeding back via the aux send instead of the internal feedback path.