just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by DLovas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Is it just me, or are pretty much all youtube synth demos played by nitwits who have no clue how to operate their machines to even 50% of their potential.... aside from a few gems out there, there really are no good demos.

Anyone else in agreement?

EDIT:

Just pretend that the threads named "The large majority of youtube demos suck" instead of "All" ppl don't seem to know what exaggerating is anymore
Last edited by DLovas on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MitchXI

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by MitchXI » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:09 pm

I happen to agree.

My theory is that those who own synths and do know how to use them don't post demos because they'd rather make nice sounds/music for fun/profit.
Then again, it may be true that a certain percentage of the synth-owning population is less than adventurous. Collectors that are interested in creating and playing another hopelessly boring strings patch. Then maybe that part of the larger group is just more likely to post on youtube.

Expensive or rare gear will usually have really tame, boring demos. Cheap gear will have loads of horrible-quality demos and one or two really inspired ones.

What makes me mad is people who demo synths with stupid, stupid, musically worthless sequences of random notes with very slow knob tweaks over the course of ten minutes. I don't want to step on any toes, but god damn.

Ultimately though, I think youtube is a net benefit for gear demos. You have to be able to recognize the signs of a bad demo, and be willing to hunt for the good ones. The good demos are almost never near the top of your search results.

And there are some very good ones out there
inevitable future poster wrote:jexus

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Wait, first we were ripping on people for having too many synths. Now we are actually ripping on people for the QUALITY of their YouTube synth videos? Really?

Yes, there are some bad ones. Yes there are some great ones (RetroSound, Jexus and of course our own AG whose vids helped him get a gig at MOOG).

Point is, who cares? Don't watch them or make your own great ones. Or here is an idea...go make some MUSIC!
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:41 pm

I figure the c**p ratio on youtube matches the c**p ratio in real life, so.. no surprises here.

Think of it like this: the <country>'s got talent shows need idiots too, that's why you watch the show.. :P
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:46 pm

i've found this one guy - he is my personal favorite demoer on all of youtube.... what i love best about his demos is that he shows what the synth/workstation/software whatever it is - can do right out of the box.... he squeezes the juice out of the factory unit :)

its amazing because he is japanese, and speaks in japanese, some of his vids have subtitles but most dont... i dont really care cause just the sound of his music is so pleasant...

check him out

http://www.youtube.com/user/musictrackjp

hes the one who convinced me to get my JP8000

drawtippy wrote:Wait, first we were ripping on people for having too many synths. Now we are actually ripping on people for the QUALITY of their YouTube synth videos? Really?

Yes, there are some bad ones. Yes there are some great ones (RetroSound, Jexus and of course our own AG whose vids helped him get a gig at MOOG).

Point is, who cares? Don't watch them or make your own great ones. Or here is an idea...go make some MUSIC!
i tend to do a lot of research on synths before i buy them - and since most of my purchases are of out of production units such as the jp8k or the an1x, i depend on resources such as youtube to get a user's viewpoint on the sound production and sound quality. It just bugs me that there is so much trash out there ruining my expectations hahah

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Don't like the retrosound demo's, but the Japanese guy rocks.

I love his JD-800 demo where he says, "SuperSaw."

"hes the one who convinced me to get my JP8000"

Me too. Vintage synth pusher, he is.

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:31 pm

I totally disagree.

Some of our own forum members here have posted awesome demos - both informative, in depth, and sometimes outright weird but cool. AutomaticGainsay and Jexus for example.
Retired admin. Please do not PM me for support.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 pm

vintagesynth wrote:I totally disagree.

Some of our own forum members here have posted awesome demos - both informative, in depth, and sometimes outright weird but cool. AutomaticGainsay and Jexus for example.
W when I said all I meant most. There are also a number of well put together demos on YouTube

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 pm

drawtippy wrote:Wait, first we were ripping on people for having too many synths. Now we are actually ripping on people for the QUALITY of their YouTube synth videos? Really?
Incredible isn't it... you'd think they had paid to watch them or that they're were 'owed' the time and effort of someone to record and upload a good video/demo for them to watch for free and make a critical appraisal.
f**k and to quote an extract:

Don't watch them or make your own great ones.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Whether they are good or bad doesn't really make a difference - that is personal preference. It is good to see that there are people out there taking the time to demo or create something. Some people are experts, some people are just starting out. I like knowing that I can go on the internet and see something demo'd or something being used before I purchase or think about purchasing. Plus, it is always inspiring to hear different sounds from different people, you never know what you may find. :)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:03 pm

DLovas wrote:Is it just me, or are pretty much all youtube synth demos played by nitwits who have no clue how to operate their machines to even 50% of their potential.... aside from a few gems out there, there really are no good demos.

Anyone else in agreement?
:facepalm: i learned how to program my 303 from a great video. it would have taken so much longer if would have started with the manual and nothing else. also, all of the videos on the main site are super helpful if you want to get a quick sense of what a synth is like...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:06 pm

yes, in this case it's you.
something rubbed off from someone somewhere and you got infected.

it's called the attitude of entitlement, devoid of gratitude, that is all so common nowadays.

i hope you get over it. :)
Last edited by shaft9000 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm

The Japanese guy is Katsunori Ujiie. He's had (has!) quite a career in synths and sound design. His demos are great.
Stephen(2)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 pm

vintagesynth wrote:I totally disagree.

Not to mention CS_TBL's Fm8 wizardry examples.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:13 am

The expectation of the OP, I must assume then, is that anyone who makes a video is entitled to both meet the highest standards in how to be entertaining and to grok their machine utterly before hitting record on their camera; Anything less is a discourtesy to the viewer and a waste of valuable time spent sitting at a computer doing something other than making music.

This sort of impatient, passive-aggressive temper tantrum smells suspiciously of thinly-concealed gear envy, or at least some insatiable hunger to be amused by people who own material things that you don't.

Either that or it's like watching an Ed Wood movie and saying, "I can make something better than that", and running out to tell complete strangers about it, without actually doing anything.

But I get it. I've felt the exact same way, but have since decided to grow up and relax. My experience was that no video was truly beneficial. It either encouraged more gearlust or made me envious of talent I would never possess. Actually getting to finally play some of them was a privilege, but the only real means of satisfaction.

Maybe there are some good instructional videos, like AG's, but what good will it do you if you don't own the synth? Watching Jexus just pisses me off. If I had the time and talent, plus the means to acquire the gear affordably, I certainly wouldn't be interested in someone else's noodling.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.