just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Re: just me? or do youtube demos all suck

Post by DLovas » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:20 am

HideawayStudio wrote:hope you're not lumping mine into that category... I had to spend several months before could even contemplate playing the beast!! ...still nearly 30,000 views makes me grin :)
send me the link i want to see it. i'm sure the ones from this forum arent bad

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 am

It's at the bottom of his post yer dope.

kineticsoundprism

Post by kineticsoundprism » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:38 am

[quote="DLovas"]Is it just me, or are pretty much all youtube synth demos played by nitwits who have no clue how to operate their machines to even 50% of their potential.... aside from a few gems out there, there really are no good demos.

there is some validity to your argument but again , thats Relative to Your taste which remains Your taste and not Universal god like taste and the only ' taste ' thats true in the eyes of the great lord.

I get your point but live and let live .Some of the ' high rated ' synth demos i find very bland and some of the hidden ones i find far more telling of a synths character but thats my taste - it means f all really.

Its like ' whats good ' ? its utterly different to us all.Where do we go from there ? we all agree and disagree .......welcome to the world of forum discussions......

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 am

While I agree that if one is to make a decent demo of a synth, and not just a brag video, one should put a little effort into it. However, I feel there is far too much expectation going around, you cannot demand that a person who happens to have a synth should go out of his way and spend a lot of free time to make a long and fancy demo video, for your enjoyment -for free.

If you don't like a demo then search more until you find an idealist who has a better demo.

colmon

Post by colmon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:40 am

this brings up an interesting point re: user generated content on the internet and how far we're willing to maintain a certain level of quality since we, ourselves, are responsible for both consumption and production

like, obviously there's no harm whatsoever in somebody uploading a video of themselves scrolling through the presets of a d50 recorded on a camera phone with severely clipped audio, but on the other hand, exactly what is the benefit of this?

it also ties into thoughts i've been having recently about "internet expertise" -- stuff like expert village where dilettantes/amateurs are presented as having "expert" knowledge on a subject, and ultimately share misinformation -- and whether this is ultimately damaging to the internet's status as a democratic tool for disseminating knowledge

i mean obviously there is a lot of extremely useful information on the internet, as there are many excellent synth demos on youtube. but the danger is that eventually the s**t piles up so high that the crucial stuff is obscured by inaccuracies, misinformation, and outright falsities

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:47 am

there u go - not the best vid out there - but certaintly aint the worst.

As you can probably tell - i dont really have a clue on how to really play a piano but hey its all good cause i get the notes right most of the time - altho when i make mistakes - its pretty much cause i'm doing guesswork. Like i said in a different thread a while ago i have relative pitch so thats how i work - not the right note - then its up or down.

anyway - i made the patch all myself

it uses 6 of the 8 oscillators and it really shapes the way you play it - rather than the other way around.

in the beginning i start with only one sound (2 osc) and then make my way up to the 6. I forgot to add subtitles for that - but if u want to hear the complete patch in action just listen a little before 2:55

PS = i usually play better when im just fiddling - so i guess you could say i'm a bit "camera shy"

NEXT time ill just do it midi i guess - but i wanted u guys to know it was ME playin it

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 am

Thats nice. I like the fizmo and am glad you made a video of you playing it. It sounds good. For real. You just brought the quality of synth videos on youtube up by 0.00000000023%.

The way I say this is both sincere and sarcastic in the context of the OP.

Youtube is so vast and varied. To criticize the fact that the videos posted of *ANY* subject on youtube is not of consistent quality is unreal.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:40 pm

beginnings of an all fizmo song im workin on... what u think? timing and notes are perfect since its all midi this time - and all i am doing is changing the filter of all 6 osc (same patch as before) very slowly.

and to reenforce the subject of this thread.....

^^^^^^^^^ there ya go

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:56 pm

Does it really matter if they suck or not, fact is they are free, uploaded by the Joe public and that is their beauty... or not.
That and every one has different tastes, no matter how well a demo might be done there will always be people who won't like it, you can't please every one.

I just upload them for a few mates who don't live close and leave them on, some people might appreciate it some may not. Dude with the Fizmo, nice vid... I also just play by ear, haven't a clue re. piano

Le' Korg 700s

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I understand that youtube doesnt owe me anything - but is it unreasonable to become frustrated, when looking for some quality examples of a product that you're on the market for, and youtube only offers, and i think we can all agree on what "s**t" demos are.... take that one of the modular synth i just posted... anyway. Maybe i harshly worded the title, but yea. thanks for the kind words on my vid.

I would not hav bought the fiz if i didnt find this nice video of a patch on it.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Aye I totally get what you say. Most SH-32 vids on youtube I looked at last time sucked (imo) having owned one in the past I know it's not that bad but if any one looks to buy one will probs thing wtf lol

Man that last Fizmo vid, lovely. I should get programing my Blofeld again

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:40 pm

Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:44 pm

^^^ alright

THAT - is cool.... how did you find that guy!

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:25 am

Oh yeah, a lot of it is definitely a pile of a s**t: but that makes the decent ones all the better - and there tend to be a least a few of those for each synth. AG's and Mr.Ujiie's videos come to mind - and of course there are many others.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:26 am

I think my top 5 favourites are
Jexus
AnalogAudio1
AutomaticGainsay
JohnLRice
7thDanSound